Pictures of your recumbent

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
Tangled Metal

Re: Pictures of your recumbent

Post by Tangled Metal »

fossala wrote:My Trice Micro. Only around 50 of them made. It's faster and somehow more comfortable than the QNT, I think it's the carbon fibre bucket seat. Image

Marathon Racer tyres? What are they like compared to marathon or marathon plus tyres? 26" tyres?

I thought my streetmachine had racers but the tread doesn't look the same. Do they do them in 20" and 26"? I'm looking for a marathon type tyre that could handle tarmac through to gravel tracks, canal towpaths, etc. Got a trip to b do the velodysse route from Roscoff to Nantes. Some of it might be on a little rougher terrain than near slicks like what my tyres look like.

OT, sorry!
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

Tangled Metal wrote:Marathon Racer tyres? What are they like compared to marathon or marathon plus tyres? 26" tyres?
IMHO 'Racer' is a misnomer - unless compared with M+ :roll: But I like them for general purpose use - better than Trikers IME (less fragile side walls), as reasonably light, although can pick up flints. Available in 559 and 406, last time I looked.
"42"
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

squeaker wrote:
Tangled Metal wrote:Marathon Racer tyres? What are they like compared to marathon or marathon plus tyres? 26" tyres?
IMHO 'Racer' is a misnomer - unless compared with M+ :roll: But I like them for general purpose use - better than Trikers IME (less fragile side walls), as reasonably light, although can pick up flints. Available in 559 and 406, last time I looked.

Do they have a tread on them that might allow a bit of non-surfaced travel? I think there could be I think they call it green routes or voie vert (or something like that) which I took it as the type of terrain needing a bit of tread.

I've coped on my df with m+ tyres on that bit on my df the voyager hypers struggle on rougher terrain. I wonder if the racers if new would have enough tread. My tyres I think are racers but I suspect at the end of their life. Certainly my narrower front tyre went squirrely on even dry grass.

On a df I'm daft enough and experienced enough to do easyish mtb trails on semi slick road tyres (gravel, rock and a bit of mud) but not on my 'bent. I'm not experienced enough so want reasonable grip to be good on good or surfaced roads but manageable on easy trails I might end up on. Hybrid tyres if you like. Are racers more like df hybrid tyres?

If not any alternatives?
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

Racers are more of a lightly treaded slick. Personally I wouldn't trust anything bar full knobblies on the front wheel on wet grass :roll:
"42"
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

Traditional Marathon tyres are much better on trails than Racers. Marathon Greenguard is the nearest current equivalent
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

I think I saw the greenguard ones were better than the racers for rolling resistance and puncture resistance.

There's a good website which tests and reviews tyres based on actual, repeatable testing. Worth looking for because they were a bit critical of racers. Poor p resistance on sidewalls not great in class on main tread neither. Rolling resistance for such a light tyre was disappointing and beaten by much heavier tyres. All those types of comments. Almotion look the best in that class but more expensive.
Marc

Post by Marc »

Tangled Metal wrote:I think I saw the greenguard ones were better than the racers for rolling resistance and puncture resistance.

There's a good website which tests and reviews tyres based on actual, repeatable testing. Worth looking for because they were a bit critical of racers. Poor p resistance on sidewalls not great in class on main tread neither. Rolling resistance for such a light tyre was disappointing and beaten by much heavier tyres. All those types of comments. Almotion look the best in that class but more expensive.

Here you go: https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.co ... racer-2015 ;)
This page gives a nice overview: https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/tour-reviews

The Marathon Almotion is a very fine tyre. As an all weather commuter, I particularly like its very good wet grip! Some time ago, I've wrote a blog post comparing the Big Ben, Shredda and Almotion. No rolling resistance test, but more general observations: https://etrike.wordpress.com/2016/04/16 ... d-almotion

Its worth noting that Schwalbe sometimes quietly tweaks some of their tyre models (for better or worse). So, a review of the 2015 version of the Racer doesn't necessarily say the 2018 Racer version is the same puncture prone slouch. I don't say its the case for the Racer, just generally keep it in mind.

The Schwalbe Tryker got updated sometime in the past, for instance. IIRC early reviews of the Triker where rather dismissive about its performance, while reviews and user experiance from a year or two ago where much more positive (never tried it myself, though).

Tyre tip:
Go to Ebay and search for the discontinued Schwalbe Shredda. They came in two versions: the cheap Shredda 'Performance Line' with wire bead and the rather expensive Shredda 'Evolution Line' folding tyre.
Rule of thump: The wider the Shredda, the faster! Go for the 50mm wide versions for best performance.
The cheap 50-406 Shredda Performance is a bit quicker than the slimmer 40-406 Shredda Evolution, while the really fast 50-406 Shredda Evolution folding tyre is only second to the fastest 20" tyres out there (Scorcher 120, ect). Only at speeds above 50km/h does its rolling resistance rise faster than comparable quick tyres (rolling resistance of all tyres rises at higher speed).

The quick Shredda Performance is a really nice tyre with tremendous grip, even on wet roads. The expensive Shredda Evolution feels very similar (maybe even better wet grip), but is a good chunk faster. The 50-507 Shredda Evo was the best 24" tyre I ever tried, btw.
Last edited by Marc on 19 Aug 2018, 5:12pm, edited 6 times in total.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

I’m a fan of Trykers - assuming you aren’t in a flint ridden area.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Marc

Post by Marc »

To steer back to the initial tread motto, this is an image of the current ICE Sprint 26 setup:

well, it currently got a different set of wheels (in the same sizes) and Ortlieb XPress size M pannieres (instead of the size L panniers in this image)
speedy7777

Post by speedy7777 »

A velomotion scopa stick bike
Bought as a frame, stein trikes M seat and bar assembly kit and built up from there and finished yesterday.
IMG_0083.JPG
Lucasshmucas

Post by Lucasshmucas »

speedy7777 wrote:A velomotion scopa stick bike
Bought as a frame, stein trikes M seat and bar assembly kit and built up from there and finished yesterday.
IMG_0083.JPG

Hi Speedy, how does it ride? Is it heavy? What is the quality of the frame like?
speedy7777

Post by speedy7777 »

Hi Lucas, Re the Velomotion scopa. It rides well. Bear in mind with all my coments here ive only ridden it so far for a few hours. I have some experience with hamster bars on a different bent (white swan) and this feels good too but i suspect for all out speed hamsters are faster and offer less sight obstruction. Bars could be brought lower by cutting down the riser and possibly further forward with a longer stem for a slight improvement there and thats something to do in future. The superman bars make carying stuff in a courier bag easier than with hamsters and sitting up is less faff and feels more open. This has a 10cm longer wheelbase which makes it feel more stable than the white swan that could also be to do with the type of bars too. So far i havent had a problem with the superman bars interfering with my legs except at very low speed and tight turns and that will likely happen less once ive got used to its dimensions, so thats good and at my relatively short height setting (im 175cm) the feet are not too high at all which is a relief. I guess taller riders would set the seat base in a higher position of the three settings available to compensate for the cranks being higher. I was carefull to choose a fork with short axel to crown height here. I can get my foot on the ground with toes comfortably in this configuration of build. I seem to remember the frame only, weighed about 2 or 2.5 kg but cant be sure exactly now. The paint finish is very nice powder coat. In my spec this whole bike weighs about 15kg but i hear a light build can go as low as 10kg that would mean i suppose carbon seat, carbon forks light road wheels with rim brakes as opposed to my grp seat, steel forks (salsa vaya 26") disk brakes and 26" xc type mtb wheels and 1.3" tyres. So far i have to say not having suspension on it isnt as bad as i feared. Ive ridden off a couple of curbs and not hammered my back or anything and it seems to get up hills better for being rigid. I do like a steel frame and feel confident that this will take some heavy hits in its stride for many years where i might not be so confident if it were say lightweight alu. The seat is very comfey and nicely shaped even with its home made 2 layers of camping foam covered with 2mm 3d spacer mesh.
All in all im pretty pleased with how it came out and think it looks amazing in its black and white colouring and everything still shiny and new. If you are a confident well coordinated rider and you werent sure about getting in to recumbents I would encourage you to get on and do it there are so many benefits to this way of riding and its just plain good fun learning to ride in a new way if a little stressfull at first.
fossala

Post by fossala »

Picture today on my commute home. I've got some Sram ultimate brakes to put on but haven't got round to it yet.

squeaker

Post by squeaker »

fossala wrote:Picture today on my commute home. I've got some Sram ultimate brakes to put on but haven't got round to it yet.

Nice:) Is that a SRAM dual drive in the back wheel? What type of thumb shifter does it use?
"42"
fossala

Post by fossala »

squeaker wrote:
fossala wrote:Picture today on my commute home. I've got some Sram ultimate brakes to put on but haven't got round to it yet.

Nice:) Is that a SRAM dual drive in the back wheel? What type of thumb shifter does it use?

A dual drive for the hub and a zee for the derailleur.