Pictures of your recumbent

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
Tilley

Re: Pictures of your recumbent

Post by Tilley »

No it's not a lap belt it is a belt with a small bag attached for keys, wallet, and phone.
The small lamps on the bars are on each side, and I also have the same lights set up high on the headrest stays.
I haven't yet done any night riding so not too sure how much foot flashing will be a problem. I have gone out on some really early excursions just as the sun was rising and have deployed the red lights as a precaution and they seem to work fine. I also have a Bicygnal wireless indicator which was the main reason for the seat tube extension. I have used the main light on this on my early morning rides and didn't notice any distracting foot flashing, so I am hopeful that the LED Lenser P7.2 torch which is my main front light will also be high enough. I was also considering the use of a head torch and would welcome some suggestions on the viability of this.
Marc

Post by Marc »

Hi, I'm new here. Living in Hamburg.

This is my current ride:

ICE Sprint 26 with 24" front wheels.

I've got an other Sprint 26 with 20"/24" wheel setup, hub motor and fairing.
Its currently in pieces and gets a much needed overhaul after serving two winters as my commuter.
ICE VTX 3x700, ICE Vortex-Leader 3x26", ICE Sprint 26 eTrike, Milan GT
Blog: http://etrike.wordpress.com
OldBloke

Post by OldBloke »

Marc,

Do the 24" wheels make much of a difference? Where did you get them from?

OB
Marc

Post by Marc »

OldBloke wrote:Marc,

Do the 24" wheels make much of a difference? Where did you get them from?

OB

They do.
For a start, the bigger wheels roll noticably better over less than perfect roads and tracks than 20" wheels.
The bigger wheels do introduce a slight bit of brake steer to the Sprint, but strangely (at first) to the opposite side. After a bit of getting used to it, its a really handy feature, though. I love it. You indicate with your right hand, brake with your left and the trike veers slightly into the corner. Very practical at high speed cornering on two wheels, when braking the outer wheel actually steers you into the corner, as well.
When going in a straight line, brake steer is not more than a stock Sprint with 20" front wheels (very, very little).

I build the wheels myself with a set of plain 90mm SA drum brake hubs from Gingko Spezialradteile (THE Sturmey Archer drum brake hub experts) and some sturdy, 35mm wide downhill rims.
Tilley

Post by Tilley »

Do you get more side spray in the wet from the larger wheels?
I noticed this the first time I had to ride through any standing water on my 20" QN. I was thinking about making up some sort of deflector using 4mm Corex sheeting fixed to the mudguard frames, don't know if anyone else has attempted such a solution, but any feedback would be useful.
The hard motorcycle panniers look good.
firedfromthecircus

Post by firedfromthecircus »

Nice ride Marc. Looks very cool with the 24" fronts. 8)
Marc

Post by Marc »

Tilley wrote:Do you get more side spray in the wet from the larger wheels?
I noticed this the first time I had to ride through any standing water on my 20" QN. I was thinking about making up some sort of deflector using 4mm Corex sheeting fixed to the mudguard frames, don't know if anyone else has attempted such a solution, but any feedback would be useful.
The hard motorcycle panniers look good.

I wouldn't say so. No.
The spray from the top of the big wheels does hit my face more regularly, though. :)

I've used some coroplast in the mudguard frames of the 'commuter' Sprint with 20" wheels, but while it worked ok, it looked rather ratty after a short while. Currently I'm contemplating the wide 'Mud 1.2' mud guards from Fahrradverkleidung.de for the commuter trike.
http://www.velomobilforum.de/forum/inde ... ost-746566

First, I have to come up with a better mounting solution than the original ICE mud guard bracket, though. The braket is ok for the currently installed kingpins, but gave me enough fits with the front suspension over the years that I want a more solid mounting solution.

firedfromthecircus wrote:Nice ride Marc. Looks very cool with the 24" fronts. 8)

Thanks! :)
BlackPanther

Post by BlackPanther »

BEFORE

AFTER

No comments necessary, I already know it looks better, and I look awesome. :roll:
The photobucket images don't work !!!
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Getting rid of the shed certainly opened up a lot of space ;)

I kind of like the arms grabbing through...
Looks like you've done a job on the lighting as well...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

Nutter :shock: Like it 8)
"42"
comandor77

Post by comandor77 »

Little time has passed. Second trike is completed.
I invite you to my youtube channel. :D

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHFYGIXfhQz7FC-ReA6Ht-g

[youtube]1_vpfxc8m1U[/youtube]
hercule

Post by hercule »

That's an impressively neat trike. I particularly like the folding ability. Are you using 26" wheels all round?
Geoff.D

Post by Geoff.D »

I'm very impressed indeed. And envious of your skill. It's so good to see a trike that's a comfortable size for a youngster.

I do have a question, though. It relates to an experience I had some time ago. I notice that you don't appear to have used any clipped pedals. Have you decided that the chance of a foot slipping off and getting hit by the the cruciform axle is small? I suspect it is. But I did find that my feet could leave the pedals on fast, bumpy descents on my recumbent bike. So, I took to SDP cleats and felt much more secure. After getting a trike, I continued with cleats.
comandor77

Post by comandor77 »

hercule wrote:That's an impressively neat trike. I particularly like the folding ability. Are you using 26" wheels all round?

Thank you. Both trike have 26'' rear wheels, but the second trike for a youngster have 24" front wheels.
comandor77

Post by comandor77 »

Geoff.D wrote:I'm very impressed indeed. And envious of your skill. It's so good to see a trike that's a comfortable size for a youngster.

I do have a question, though. It relates to an experience I had some time ago. I notice that you don't appear to have used any clipped pedals. Have you decided that the chance of a foot slipping off and getting hit by the the cruciform axle is small? I suspect it is. But I did find that my feet could leave the pedals on fast, bumpy descents on my recumbent bike. So, I took to SDP cleats and felt much more secure. After getting a trike, I continued with cleats.

So in general this second tricycle went to 50 year old lady sufferers multiple sclerosis, and therefore the seat is raised in the head restraint and the trike have handles to assist settle.

You are absolutely right about the pedals, I already had an accident when my leg left the pedal and got hit by the frame.
But ... because of the cost I have not use any clipped pedals...
Someday I will surely change it - promise