Pictures of your recumbent

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
comandor77

Re: Pictures of your recumbent

Post by comandor77 »

[XAP]Bob wrote:From memory ICE recommend a mm or two of toe *in*, but that's on fully Ackerman compensated steering

I have about 4mm toe-in in my trike. I set this according to this:

http://www.ihpva.org/Projects/PracticalInnovations/final_assembly.html
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

comandor77 wrote:
[XAP]Bob wrote:From memory ICE recommend a mm or two of toe *in*, but that's on fully Ackerman compensated steering

I have about 4mm toe-in in my trike. I set this according to this:

http://www.ihpva.org/Projects/PracticalInnovations/final_assembly.html

that's fine but all kinds of things can cause the 'best setting' in practice to vary a little from that. For example all tyres have a slip angle characteristic and this is usually a non-linear function with loading (vertical and lateral). This means that the best setting will certainly vary with tyre type and may even vary with road speed too. In extremis it may mean that what looks like perfect Ackermann geometry (in theory) doesn't work as well as it should in practice.

If you try a different toe setting and you prefer the way it steers, the practical thing to do then is to do some 'corner coasting' tests with both settings and this should tell you if one setting is scuffing so badly that it affects your speed or not.

Lots of trikes and HPVs seem to have 'bad steering' in that they scrub badly in sharp turns, enough to slow noticeably. Fixing this can be problematic.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Swizz69

Post by Swizz69 »

Here's my homebuilt lowracer. It's construction was much inspired by Atomic Zombie by using square tubing. It's front wheel drive with Sturmey Archer hubs. Although a lot of fun, I took most of the enjoyment from the process of building it and spend more time aboard either a Dutchbike or a Fixie. Am quite fond of the Circe Helios tandem at the moment and am pondering reusing the 20" wheel & other hub for something along those lines. You may spot a Stokers component I repurposed on the 'bent that wouldn't be wasted ;D

FWD Lowracer-ian's dog n'bone-
unnamed

Post by unnamed »

Nazca Gaucho Rohloff with Avid BB7 brakes on a current trip in Chile.
The only slight problem is the breaking of my second hand mirror which I managed to fix with a piece of wood. See photo
Attachments
IMG_20160113_141730.jpg
20160108_210638small.jpg
Geoff.D

Post by Geoff.D »

Elizabethsdad wrote:https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1698217523769105&set=gm.10153493133591964&type=3&theater

Good work. Like it.
fishfright

Post by fishfright »

My new toy

And again with its older brother
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

fishfright wrote:How do i resize images ??
I use Irfanview :D
But I'm sure there are many other freeware programs out there :wink:
"42"
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Hmm. VTX Yummy.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
firedfromthecircus

Post by firedfromthecircus »

Hasn't taken you long to suffer from upgrade-itis! :lol: Do you feel the need for speed?

I've gone the other way. Made my trike slower, but more off-road capable. First try out at Glentress trail centre today. Coped with the Green route with aplomb. Next time I'll try some Blue runs.

fishfright

Post by fishfright »

Upgrade-itis will be the death of me I'm sure.
But I'm seriously running out of space in my 1 bed flat. With two trikes , a Longstaff tourer and compact audax (both NOS), a Van Nicolas Zepher and my one speed Kona Muni-Mula I'm constantly moving them around so i can get around my home .
A low racer would be nice though ..... and theres a Guerciotti frameset that needs building up at some point ....... and ... ... damn you firedfromthecircus that looks fun !!
firedfromthecircus

fishfright wrote: ....... and ... ... damn you firedfromthecircus that looks fun !!

:lol:

It is!

:lol:
BrianP

Post by BrianP »

Are those Mad Mike's 2.125 or 1.75?

Very interested in a decent gravel track tyre.

I have just bought a HP Scorpion FX, not received yet. If I remove the mudguards will the 2.125 fit ok?

What might fit with the mudguards, perhaps the 1.175"?

I ride in the New Forest so ride on hard gravel tracks mixed with local connecting roads. So looking for a good tyre for both.

Brian
firedfromthecircus

They are the 2.125"s Brian. They replaced 2" Big Apples but look quite a bit bigger than just 0.125" extra. Obviously the tread is involved in that but it is something to watch for once you get your trike. Apparently the best reason for not having front guards though is so you can wheelchair it if you need traction.
Lodge

Post by Lodge »

Hi, I'm a recent convert to the recumbent lifestyle, just 1600 km so far. But reaping the rewards in terms of no tingling in the hands, no back ache and a much improved ability to see the scenery as one cycles through the countryside. Being short in the leg, a Bacchetta Giro 26 ATT frame kit was built up with 24" wheels at first, but now dropped further to 20" at the front. Red Rohloff, SON and Hope brakes embellish it beautifully. It's taken two thirds of a lifetime to get here, but it's absolutely wonderful both to ride and pet in the garage.
Bacchetta Giro 20-24 ATT
Bacchetta Giro 20-24 ATT