Pictures of your recumbent

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
n0ct0

Re: Pictures of your recumbent

Post by n0ct0 »

It’s an Alpkit fuel pod. The design has changed since I bought mine looking at what they have on their website now.

It’s ok, but the zip opens the wrong way as it’s designed for the top tube of an upright. It doesn’t quite fit behind the steerer. I usually end up keeping my phone and snacks in there, but keep some in my pocket for when I’m riding along.
belgiangoth

Post by belgiangoth »

Sorry to fill up this thread with more off topic SM questions but
I assume those are the bespoke SKS mudguards. I'm running some "whateverIcanGetMyHandsOn", which are okay but I can maybe fit them over 40mm marathons. What font tyres are you using and how much space do the mudguards give you?
If I had a baby elephant, I would put it on a recumbent trike so that it would become invisible.
n0ct0

Post by n0ct0 »

It was actually cheaper to buy two sets of mudguards online than buy one set from HP.

SKS 26” Hybrid Commuter and a set of SKS 20” guards.

There is quite a lot of clearance, probably 20mm, and you could adjust more in. This is with a Schwalbe Pro One Evo 1.1” front tyre. Can’t take any pics to show this as they are off the bike at the moment.
belgiangoth

Post by belgiangoth »

Yes, I had considered that, though allegedly the recumbent specific ones have an extra stay at the back. I picked up a used rear (700c) and front (from a kid's bike) from the LBS and bodged that.
If I had a baby elephant, I would put it on a recumbent trike so that it would become invisible.
a.twiddler

Post by a.twiddler »

Done a bit of work on the Linear
Linear Recumbent Left side.JPG

Just need to get out and ride it, and do some fine tuning.
Attachments
Linear Recumbent Right side.JPG
Tilley

Post by Tilley »

Recently refurbished KMX X class trike with 20" front wheels.
Attachments
20200717_071630.jpg
Marc

Post by Marc »

The VTX mongrel got a new set of wheels in 700c size, with polished 20-622 rims...

...they fit quite well to the silver Ortlieb panniers ;)

While the VTX handles better around corners with 24" front wheels, the Conti GP5000 are definitely much faster than the 24" Kojaks (or 20" front wheels in general).

https://etrike.wordpress.com/2020/07/18 ... 700-wheels
Last edited by Marc on 22 Jul 2020, 10:41pm, edited 2 times in total.
belgiangoth

Post by belgiangoth »

So Marc, will you be going 27" next? Other than swapping the wheel, did you make any mods? If not, isn't the boom starting to creep up into your field of vision? You must be getting a very large delta BB-Seat.
To my untrained eye it still like the front end is comparatively lower than on a Catrike 700 though.
Marc

Post by Marc »

belgiangoth wrote:So Marc, will you be going 27" next? Other than swapping the wheel, did you make any mods? If not, isn't the boom starting to creep up into your field of vision? You must be getting a very large delta BB-Seat.
To my untrained eye it still like the front end is comparatively lower than on a Catrike 700 though.

Nope. The tire choice in 27" is fairly limited and the 42-622 is about the widest tire to fit the 2010 Vortex rear frame. If ICE Trikes would make a rigid rear frame for the Full Fat, I might be tempted to put a wide 29" rear tire at the back, though... ;)

The bottom braked is much higher than stock, but not impairing vision and I prefer a higher bottom braked.

Mods:
Well, the trike is kind of a "VTX-mongrel". Its actually build from a 2020 VTX cruciform, a 2010 Vortex rear frame (because it was at hand and allows to mount bigger tires than the rear frame of the current black VTX, or the older white Vortex and white VTX rear frames) and a 2013 Vortex seat (love that seat!). The handle bar is made from a ICE Sprint/Adventure middle tube and a chopped down RANS B-41 handle bar, to clear the big front wheels. The brake pads of the 90mm drum brakes are slotted to provide higher braking performance. It got a 10mm through axle rear hub with customized 9-speed cassette (11-12-13-15-17-20-25-30-36t), a 2-speed Patterson Metropolis bottom bracket gearbox (28t/45t). The 2x15l Ortlieb XPress panniers are converted shoulder bags, mounted to some 16mm stainless steel tubes directly bolted to the frame. The seat bags are two LoweAlpine backpack side bags (for tools, spares and the battery), the front light is a 150 lux B+M IQ-X E and the short rear fender is actually a 26" SKS front fender. ;)
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

Somehow that 3x700 VTX with aero rims just looks right. I built a 3x26 Sprint but that didn't look as good. Maybe the VTX hard shell seat works. So I guess the seat height is now between 10-11"? That should make dismounting easier. Any problems with the tracking or shimmy? I could never dial out a shimmy that would start if I took both hands off the bars.
belgiangoth

Post by belgiangoth »

When it was a 24/700 mix I was surprised that it didn't look odd at all, despite the significantly larger front wheels. With the 700 all round though it "looks wrong" to me because the front wheels are "supposda" be smaller than the back one.
Obviously that's just based on all the other trikes I've seen, reckon this must make it ride better in many ways, though won't the wheels impede your vision? And will it now accelerate significantly less well?
Marc

Post by Marc »

UpWrong wrote:Somehow that 3x700 VTX with aero rims just looks right.

I think so too. :) But only because it got a wider rear tire (a 42-622). With 3x 23-622 tires it looks a bit unbalanced.

UpWrong wrote:I built a 3x26 Sprint but that didn't look as good. Maybe the VTX hard shell seat works. So I guess the seat height is now between 10-11"? That should make dismounting easier. Any problems with the tracking or shimmy? I could never dial out a shimmy that would start if I took both hands off the bars.

Shimmy is... complicated. Sometimes little changes induce, or prevent shimmy (different tire pressure, worn tires, slightly different toe-in, etc).

While I had no problems with shimmy with the 24"/26" or 24"/700 wheel set-ups, the 26" front wheels shod with 28-559 Conti GrandPrix and 26" rear wheel with 55-559 Marathon produced shimmy between 20-28km/h. The 26"/700 wheel set-up (with 28-559 GP or 50-559 Kojaks) was shimmy free at any speed.

The current set-up with 23-622 Conti GP5000 at the front and a 42-622 Conti Cyclocross Speed at the rear, the trike tracks straight and I can take my hands off the handlebar at any speed.
Last edited by Marc on 22 Jul 2020, 10:47pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marc

Post by Marc »

belgiangoth wrote:When it was a 24/700 mix I was surprised that it didn't look odd at all, despite the significantly larger front wheels. With the 700 all round though it "looks wrong" to me because the front wheels are "supposda" be smaller than the back one.
Obviously that's just based on all the other trikes I've seen, reckon this must make it ride better in many ways, though won't the wheels impede your vision? And will it now accelerate significantly less well?

It probably down to personal taste. :D

The bigger wheels are faster! Especially on less than perfect roads and even on gravel. Much more comfortable as well. The handling is much less "lively" though and less suited for tight, fast, corners. 3x700 wheels on a ICE Trike are definitely not the first choice to bomb down mountain passes (IMO that would be a 20"/24" wheel set-up).

Actually, since the total weight of the new front wheels with the skinny and light (210g) tires is quite similar to the total weight of the 24" wheels with 40-507 Kojaks or 50-507 Shredda Evo, I don't feel any difference in acceleration. The GP5000 are noticeably quicker though and the wheels might be a lot more aero. In the past, I was only able to reach a downhill top speed of a bit under 51km/h, but (according to my Garmin) managed to reach 56.4km/h on a 300m long 4% grade with relative ease (and "a bit" of pedaling, of course ;)).
belgiangoth

Post by belgiangoth »

I was initially surprised that you would notice a significant difference between 24" and 700C - but then I remembered you have two of them!
Marc

Post by Marc »

If you know your trikes, the difference in handling between 24" and 700 front wheels is pretty obvious. No need to change between trikes, since changing wheel sets is only a 5min job.