Pictures of your recumbent

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
cyclop

Re: Pictures of your recumbent

Post by cyclop »

P1000974.JPG
Here,s my Nazca Gaucho,recently acquired but I won,t be keeping it ;bents are not for me.Will be selling next week.
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

Really? I would have thought that was one of the easiest all round bents to live with provided you are tall enough.
cyclop

Post by cyclop »

After a month,I decided to manage my elbow problems by adapting my upright.To be honest,it was a relief to get back on it,particularly on hills.Yes,I know you need 5oo-1000mls to get conditioned but would knees be compromised,it felt like a possibility.Its "un-handiness",for want of a better word,was another small grouch.The only advantage was comfort over distance.I,ve satisfied curiosity but cutting the experiment short.
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

The force is not strong in this one.

Good luck Cyclop you know when things aren't right. Hope you sell it quickly.
NUKe

Post by Tangled Metal »

How much are you selling it for?

I hope that's not too much like taking advantage of things, but I've got a recumbent itch and I'm 6'5" tall so height to ride it might not be an issue.

Not sure if I'm interested or not but if you're selling it then letting us know how much on here can't hurt. It certainly looks a nice bike.
Cosmicbike

Post by Cosmicbike »

My first trike, I'd fancied one for a time so when this came up it was worth the long drive to test. Of course bought on the spot, so much fun.
As it was
_ICE 1.jpg

I've since removed the fairing as I'm a fair weather triker, likewise the front mudguards. Lovely machine though, ICE Trice Q
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

Nice, Front mudguards are a bit superfluous on a Q. Any crud coming off the tyres is going to miss you 99.9% of the time. I think I prefer the older gull wing swing arm suspension to the current ICE quadrilateral design.
hercule

Post by hercule »

IMG_1190 (1).jpg

After a lot of prevarication shelled out for some “superman” (Aerosteer in Nazca-speak) bars for my Fuego. The main reason was that even after 5 years slow speed manoeuvres were still unsettling me and I hoped the different layout with less tiller would help.

Fitting was straightforward, although I had to disconnect all the cables first as on the tiller steer these are routed though the stem. Apart from replacing and shortening the rear brake cable the original cables have all proved to be the right length. The bars were fairly easy to set up though running short (150mm) cranks doubtless helps reduce leg/bar interference. I suspect with relatively short arms I would struggle with reach if I had the original 170mm cranks still fitted.

I’ve done about 60 miles on it now, overall impressions are good, I’m much more confident at low speeds and can sit up comfortably at junctions even rolling forwards at low speeds (something I never really mastered with the tiller). I get heel strike long before the legs are ever in danger of getting mixed up with the bars. Hills provoke less in the way of violent over-compensating wobbles. It doesn’t feel quite as stable at higher speeds but as the geometry hasn’t changed I suspect this is just a case of rider adaptation. One thing I have noticed that with the original cable routing the wheel would always twist to the left, now it tracks straight. This was never a problem when riding the bike but I would always need a steadying hand on the tiller if pushing it along. I settled a few years ago on the seat being in the most upright position, this is OK for reach with the new bars but I couldn't personally go any further reclined. The bike is wearing its chunk winter Marathons so it's hard to tell if there has been any change in speed - not that I go fast enough to trouble Strava segement kings anyway!

For mirrors I’ve fitted Motrax motorcycle mirrors. - they are heavier than Mirrycle mirrors but are rock solid and don’t require bodges with cut down bar ends.They are more fiddly to get in the right position but once there, they seem to stay.

motrax.jpg
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

Looks good. I know someone else who made the same change a couple of months ago and has likewise gained much confidence with the bike. Tiller is handier when you need to transport a bent though.
Geoff.D

Post by Geoff.D »

I swapped from uss to oss (with a home made stick riser and north road bars). It wasn't a change from tiller steering, so it didn't really affect anything in the riding/control experience. But, one advantage was in being able to walk alongside, for example when manoeuvring on pavements/parking situations in town or walking up steep passes on tour.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

My recumbent has the seat at just the right height for me to push on and it's easy to control the steering by tilting the bike. Feels like the bike was made for me to walk alongside pushing it! Very ergonomic!

Still I prefer to ride it.
hoarder
Location: South of Newmarket, SW of Bury St. Edmunds. ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ sƃuıɥʇ ʇɐ ƃuıʞool

Post by hoarder »

Snow Hare
Snow Hare
I've never ridden a trike in snow, but always wondered how well it'd grip. Well, today I had the opportunity, with our part of Suffolk getting a good few inches of crisp, dry snow. Here's my "Snow Hare" - a 20" Hase Lepus that is pretty much original spec. (circa 2003, I think). The seat coverings is probably the only proper modification - Hase original seat frame, but with Al tubing extensions at the top, and covered with a standard ICE mesh seat. I recently replaced both derailleurs with NOS versions (it has a 3-speed rear cassette, and a 9-speed intermediate cassette), new chains, and replaced the bearings for both drive and non-drive side rear axles. I'm pretty sure the reduced drag in the drivetrain made absolutely no difference today.
plantfit

Post by plantfit »

2009 ICE Trice Q 26 on my "shorter" ride yesterday

Roger
hoarder
Location: South of Newmarket, SW of Bury St. Edmunds. ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ sƃuıɥʇ ʇɐ ƃuıʞool

Post by hoarder »

Small world.....

Here's my newly-acquired folding ICE Adventure out for a spin yesterday, using NCN 73 from Kilmarnock out to the coast. This is it on the quayside at Irvine.
Irvine Quayside March '18
Irvine Quayside March '18

I carried on out to the end of the harbour, with coffee and tunnock's wafer from the lady at the kiosk right at the end. I passed what looked initially like an incompletely-constructed footbridge (just visible in the photo background, next to the lower flags), and got curious about it this morning.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Big_Idea_(museum)

Of course, wanted to see what the museum was all about, so clicked on their link https://www.flickr.com/photos/cycleologist/sets/72157621741966821/

very interesting. And the author of that photo album..... a certain Ben Cooper, of Glasgow http://www.kinetics-online.co.uk/about-us/

What's weird is I had called Ben the day before yesterday to find out if he stocked spare parts for ICE (I have a bent rear mech hanger).
cpcnw

Post by cpcnw »

Well it didnt say 'current' so here is one from race day at Salt Ayre during Lancaster Cyclefest - many many moons ago!

Me [center] on my Vision R40 at the time and Mike Burrows on his Ratcatcher disappearing out of frame right during "Devil Takes the Hindmost" [indeed!]
Sometimes in life things happen for a reason. And sometimes that reason is because you are stupid and make bad decisions!