I'm thinking about going bent but...

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
mr_hippo

I'm thinking about going bent but...

Postby mr_hippo » 1 Aug 2008, 4:20pm

where do I start? Two wheels or three?
Two wheels - Above seat steering is out as, I think, it's just defeating the object so we will go with the under seat option. I am a bit concerned about low speed stability and starting off. I suppose after a few practice starts, it becomes second nature.
Three wheels - seem to be much lower than two wheels so I am a bit concerned about visibility but I think this can be solved with two large flags on the back; delta or tadpole - which is better?
I live in Bangkok and ride between 6:30 in the morning and arrive home at 11 at the latest so I avoid the heavy traffic (normally) as most of my routes go in the opposite direction of the rush hour and coming back when the rush hour is over.
I have just started my research but if I go with the two wheels, it's possibly a Challenge Tour and for a trike, I'm thinking of a Trice T26 - 26" rear wheel with no suspension (I'm not a big fan of suspension)
Your thoughts/advice will be appreciated.

Fonant

Postby Fonant » 1 Aug 2008, 5:18pm

You really should try to have a go on various different 'bents before you buy - the range of different handling and ride characteristics is huge.

Two-wheeled is more difficult to learn, and balancing can be frisky. Three-wheeled can feel more go-kart than bicycle, but great fun and more stable at slow speeds (and when stopped!).

Two-wheeled is better on rough roads, as you have one track instead of three to avoid potholes with.

Three-wheeled tadpole is more stable than delta, and perhaps safer, as you can brake as you turn in a corner without tipping over. You do see some delta trikes, usually long-wheelbase, but most are tadpoles for this reason.

I ride a Wincheetah, which is at the frisky end of trikes, and the Trice I've ridden felt much more stable and "slow". The Windcheetah's joystick steering is excellent :)

Don't worry about being seen, you will have more attention than you want most of the time: a flag has never been necessary in all my many miles of touring or commuting (on very busy and fast roads). You'll be at least as big as a dog, and in any case being low keeps you in drivers' main range of vision (as a driver you watch the road, which is why it's easier to see and keep an eye on road markings than roadside signs).
Anthony Cartmell (also known as "admin" when posting in a more official capacity on this Forum)
Kangaroo trike, Windcheetah recumbent, Batavus dutch bike, Dawes Galaxy Twin tandem, Pashley unicycle
http://www.fonant.com – Quality web sites.