Hase Tagun: For women only — Why?

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
KevSoCal

Re: Hase Tagun: For women only — Why?

Post by KevSoCal »

I just noticed Hase is calling the Tagun a women's bike as well. I bought a Hase Kettwiesel last year (08). The brochure of Hase products I got from the dealer showed several shots of a Tagun with a man riding it. None with a woman. Some rat ******* stole my Kett recently and I'm in the process of buying a Tagun to replace it. My dealer has last year's model on the floor so it isn't pastel. I say it's all marketing. Ride it, like it, buy it - to Hades with thieves and marketing types! In case you are interested, I loved my Kett, but don't have a good place to store a three wheeler. The Tagun I can get in the front door to my flat.
byegad

Post by byegad »

Go for it. I'd not let a salesman's hype to put me off a good bike!
"I thought of that while riding my bike." -Albert Einstein, on the Theory of Relativity

2007 ICE QNT
2008 Hase Kettwiesel AL27
2011 Catrike Trail
1951 engine
KevSoCal

Post by KevSoCal »

I've been commuting on the Tagun for several weeks now. I can't find anything about it that seems girly. Quite the opposite. My wife who is usually the more coordinated and athletic, can't get the hang of it. She finally stamped off in a huff saying "It's YOUR bike." I can't find any down side to that little tirade thus far...

This is my first two wheel recumbent. It does take some getting used to, as I noted in another thread, having a lower center of gravity actually does make riding more challenging. However, it is a very fun ride, to the point that it is difficult not to smile while riding. The chap I bought it from told me, five minutes to get to where you can ride it, five weeks before you'll be comfortable, five months before you'll actually be good at it. Thus far I think I'm a little ahead of the curve.

The Tagun had one little surprise. I didn't realize is it has a 3-speed rear hub mated to a 9-speed derailleur. I've never seen anything like this before. It actually works quite nicely. The ground on my commute is near flat so I haven't had a chance to try it on a hill yet. I think I'll wait until I'm a little bit more comfortable with it before I tackle any hill work.
byegad

Post by byegad »

Kevsocal

Like I said a few years ago the Tagun was my second choice and very nearly my first. The DualDrive gearing is good but one word of caution, only change the hub while freewheeling, the instructions say change while easing pedal pressure but to be kind to the hub stop pedalling for an instant as you change. This is a precaution as in trike use where super low gears are possible hub falures can happen. It's all to do with torque and spinning the lowest gear or two helps avoid overloading the hub.

The hub will almost cetainly develop a rattle I had one on my AZUB (now sold) and another on my (now my wife's) Speed Pro. Both developed a rattle after a while. It's more noticable in mid range and while freewheeling but there all of the time after it develops. This is separate from hub failure and is harmless in itself.
"I thought of that while riding my bike." -Albert Einstein, on the Theory of Relativity

2007 ICE QNT
2011 Catrike Trail
1951 engine
KevSoCal

Post by KevSoCal »

Byegad

Thanks for the tip about the hub. That should be easy enough to do - I really don't change the hub that much for my commute. The derailer provides a more than adequate spread for 95% of the ride.

My Kett had a Rohloff. I quickly learned it didn't like being shifted under any sort of a load. I just hope learning that I did enough damage that whoever has my Kett now ends up stranded somewhere godforsaken! :twisted:

Kev
MuirSR

Post by MuirSR »

I see the Hase website has an article, The first recumbent for women, which attempts to explain what it is about this bike which makes it for women. A section of the article repeats itself, but forget that: does anyone find it convincing?
Stephen
Reading's Cycling Development Officer wrote:...become a TV presenter ... that is what I would like to do [source]
byegad

Post by byegad »

MuirSR wrote:I see the Hase website has an article, The first recumbent for women, which attempts to explain what it is about this bike which makes it for women. A section of the article repeats itself, but forget that: does anyone find it convincing?

As we covered when this thread first started it was launched with no specific mention of any bias for either sex. Interestingly I spoke to a dealer at York Rally who mentioned the Tagun as a bike for me to look at after I told him I had a Kett'. At 58, bearded and not a bit effeminate his opinion was it could be the bike for me.

2007 ICE QNT
2011 Catrike Trail
1951 engine
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

MuirSR wrote:I see the Hase website has an article, The first recumbent for women, which attempts to explain what it is about this bike which makes it for women. A section of the article repeats itself, but forget that: does anyone find it convincing?

I thin it says - this bike is for comfort touring, not outright speed.

So we think women fit that category better. And we think we can corner the market with some spin...

Looks like a good bike to me. There might be something about male/female pelvis/hip structure that makes higher or lower cranks better for each, but it's all going to be better than an DF...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
KevSoCal

Post by KevSoCal »

I've had a couple months of riding my Tagun now. I don't see what is gender specific about it. The most laughable part I saw in the explanation on why it's a woman's bike is how one can just jump on and start riding. If one isn't already a 'bent rider it takes a lot of getting used to - at first I felt like I was learning how to ride a two wheeler all over again. However, it is worth getting used to riding the Tagun. It's a blast to ride. Not really fast, but a lot of fun. The way it corners is really a joy. It's more like flying than riding. Right now my moving average is 10 to 11 mph on a 7.3 mile commute. My legs are still building up, so I expect that to increase with time.

I have upper back and arm problems (retired, worn-out old Army guy) so the position is very comfortable. The shock is amazing. My Kett used to jar my spine in a few places on my commute. I actually drop off of curbs quite regularly with no ill effect on my back/bum and no noticeable impact on the bike. If I were in the market for a commuter now, I might look at something lighter with a skinnier, larger diameter tires. I think that would move me quicker, but I don't think it would be the technical challenge, nor as would it be as much fun whipping around a bend on the Tagun.

On the way home today I had three separate unsolicited compliments on my Tagun from adult strangers, two from guys, one from a gal. But the main people that seem to be enthusiastically impressed are boys in the 3 to 5 year old range. Seems apropos as that's about how old I feel when I'm out riding!
byegad

Post by byegad »

Thanks for your comments KevSoCal. I had heard from a friend that riding the Tagun was a bit of a learning curve! The learning is part of the fun IMHO. :D When I bought my AZUB-4 I had to learn to ride it and it was almost like learning to ride again. It was welll worth it!

Have you tried carrying any luggage, panniers or what ever?

2007 ICE QNT
2011 Catrike Trail
1951 engine
KevSoCal

Post by KevSoCal »

I'm glad I'm not the only one that had to re-learn how to ride, Byegad!

I do ride with panniers, in fact my 10 - 11 mph average speed is with panniers. I have the Orleib bags that Hase pushes for the Tagun. I have the rack top bag as well, but only use that when I'm going out for a fun ride. It's big enough by itself to carry every thing I'd need for a day out. The main bags are much larger than I need for the daily commute, but the rack top by itself is to small for going to work. The extra room in the panniers means I have a tendency to carry things I don't need. I leave my gortex riding jacket, pants, socks, and wet weather gloves in my bags year round - we get almost all of our rain in the winter. That's one pannier. The other has work clothes, shave kit, and a packed lunch. Still lots of room left over.

The Ortleib bags would be a great set up for touring. Lots of room, quite weather resistant. They seem to be quite sturdy.

I had a Windwrap fairing on my Kett, I've been considering getting something for the Tagun. I saw something one chap had on a tadpole trike that was interesting. A clear fairing connected to a bit of fabric that went on back. I still haven't seen a good picture on how he secured it off the back. Here's the site I saw it on - http://cyclingexperiences.com/ I only saw a couple shots of it, but it seems like a interesting idea.
byegad

Post by byegad »

KevSoCal wrote:I'm glad I'm not the only one that had to re-learn how to ride, Byegad!

I do ride with panniers, in fact my 10 - 11 mph average speed is with panniers. I have the Orleib bags that Hase pushes for the Tagun. I have the rack top bag as well, but only use that when I'm going out for a fun ride. It's big enough by itself to carry every thing I'd need for a day out. The main bags are much larger than I need for the daily commute, but the rack top by itself is to small for going to work. The extra room in the panniers means I have a tendency to carry things I don't need. I leave my gortex riding jacket, pants, socks, and wet weather gloves in my bags year round - we get almost all of our rain in the winter. That's one pannier. The other has work clothes, shave kit, and a packed lunch. Still lots of room left over.

The Ortleib bags would be a great set up for touring. Lots of room, quite weather resistant. They seem to be quite sturdy.

I had a Windwrap fairing on my Kett, I've been considering getting something for the Tagun. I saw something one chap had on a tadpole trike that was interesting. A clear fairing connected to a bit of fabric that went on back. I still haven't seen a good picture on how he secured it off the back. Here's the site I saw it on - http://cyclingexperiences.com/ I only saw a couple shots of it, but it seems like a interesting idea.

From your name you are better placed than most of us to buy something similar. Try looking for tail socks on google.

2007 ICE QNT
2011 Catrike Trail
1951 engine