Now, this looks rather tasty........

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
Woody

Now, this looks rather tasty........

Post by Woody »

I've been considering a new tourer to replace my DF Raleigh Randonneur and have been thinking about a two wheel bent. My previous two wheeled affairs have been a Pashley PDQ and an HPVelotechnik Spirit. Even the Spirit had too high a bottom bracket for me. I found the high bottom bracket awkward to start off in and it gave me a numb foot. I rather like the idea of these bents with a lower bottom bracket position such as the Easy Racers 'Tour Easy' or the Rans 'Stratus'. Although I've never tried these bikes they look more user friendly than bents such as the Streetmachine. I should add that I already own a trike recumbent, an HPVelotechnik Scorpion, great fun but not want I like to do extended touring on.

Bacchetta are bringing out a new model called 'Bella ATT' http://www.bacchettabikes.com/recumbent ... llaatt.htm and its got two frame sizes with the large size taking an x-seam from 42" to 52" so it may accommodate my long legs.

Anyone experience of these types of bents?
Wildduck

Re: Now, this looks rather tasty........

Post by Wildduck »

Try contacting dbrunner on here; he has one of these (was trying to sell it a little while back).
Trice Q 2007 in inky blue (Quackers)
Bacchetta Corsa 26 ATT (The Mad Weeble)
Cube SL Team Cross (Rubberduckzilla)
Homebaked tourer (The Duck's Dream)
MTB mongrel (Harold the Flying Sheep)
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

I have a Bellandare. I used to have a Spirit. Stopping and starting is easy. Going up steep hills in a straight line with cars zooming past your shoulder at 40mph isn't. This is a well known problem with LWBs. See Peter Eland's comments on the Tagun in Velovision. The trick is not to get tense - easier said than done.

It's very comfortable and very sure-footed.

I haven't used it much yet so I still want to reserve judgement, but the stock Bellandare doesn't feel as responsive as the Spirit did with its stiff aluminium frame. I would expect the Bella ATT to feel better. I didn't wait for the Bella ATT because (a) the price difference is significant (b) it's not any lighter (c) it has two chain pulleys. I have plans to try to convert my Bellandare to a straight drive-side chain line.

Paul
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Trikes make excellent touring machines, but there are issues with storage and trains,

I toured on a Street Machine, and a Hurricane.

The one word of warning with these machines is that in order to get the clearance between the lower chainset and the front wheel the whole wheelbase is extended. This makes for a relaxed and comfortable ride, but is less sporty than a trike. The problem is that it does mean you have to advance further to see round obstacles and junctions. This is a little unnerving and "exposed" at first, but you soon get used to it!

The advantage though is that with a little modification, a "low rider" rack on the front allows panniers.