Here at last!

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
EdinburghFixed

Here at last!

Post by EdinburghFixed »

I am now the proud owner of my very own Raptobike lowracer... the "Devourer" (of miles, and of roadies ;) )

I'll try to follow up with a detailed report but in the meantime, I thought everyone might like a few pics -

Highlights include neat tail light mount, Avid hydraulic disc (vast improvement over V's), and enormous 70t chainring:

Oh, and not forgetting the chav dragon decal from eBay :)

All said and done, a really fantastic ride. I just need the legs to match!
dkmwt

Re: Here at last!

Post by dkmwt »

EF wrote:I just need the legs to match!
Be patient you will get them, the more you ride the better.

P.S. Lucky swine.
Cheers, Donald
Trice "Qnt 26" 26/39/55 F 10sp 11/36 R, now with Windwrap fairing.
ICE B1 34/50 F Capreo 9/32 R.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dkmwt/78674512/
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1188814973
EdinburghFixed

Post by EdinburghFixed »

dkmwt wrote:P.S. Lucky swine.

Oh, did I mention I got it mainly on the Bike to Work scheme? ;) :P

I'm doing my first ever Audax on the 16th, a 200K around Pitlochry. So I've got a week to lick myself into shape...
CW

Post by CW »

And by coincidence my Raptobike has arrived at Bikefix and should be with me early next week. :lol:
Deep joy..Just can`t wait to have a play. Just hope my Trice Q is not to put out with a new stable mate.
EdinburghFixed, is the rear fairing you have fitted the one shown on their site?
Chris
EdinburghFixed

Post by EdinburghFixed »

Glad to hear you're joining the posse...

I think I heard that the stock shot of the Rapto with box is an M5 tailbox..

Mine is from Velokraft and I got Kamil to send me direct from Poland - it should have gelled perfectly with the carbon Raptobike seat which is made by Velokraft too; unfortunately Arnold sent me the wrong one (a large glass seat instead of medium carbon).

As there were a few other 'surprises' in the spec, David at Laidback has been very good and OK'd me to mount it regardless - we'll sort something out when the carbon seat arrives.

It holds 30 litres, which isn't as much as a pair of panniers but not far off. Certainly more than the Carradice Barley which I took on my unsupported LEJoG attempt! And while it was expensive, it is waterproof, lockable (if I fit a lock!) and nobody can tell if I'm only using one side of the wheel arch ;)
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Just looking at all that chain ..............

You will be keeping it all clean, won't you?
Mick F. Cornwall
EdinburghFixed

Post by EdinburghFixed »

Absolutely... :)

But yes, I will be paying this one a bit more attention than the fixed-wheel gets. I'm thinking of trying to rig a small SKS mudguard with extra flaps to prevent the wheel throwing up any road spray onto the drivechain - that would go a long way to help, methinks...
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Great!

A couple of techy questions:
Where's the front mech?
How does the wheel-lock affect the chain? Surely you can't turn the front wheel through 90 degrees?
Mick F. Cornwall
dkmwt

Post by dkmwt »

More techy questions, What rear cassette have you got ? If you want higher gears one way to compensate for the smaller wheel would be to get this the smaller sprockets on this are 9 and 10. According to Sheldon your top gears would 138 inches on the 10 and 145 on the 9, you'd get some serious speed down some not so steep hills.

As you'll see by my signature my top gear is 55/9 giving me 114 on a 20 inch wheel.
Cheers, Donald
Trice "Qnt 26" 26/39/55 F 10sp 11/36 R, now with Windwrap fairing.
ICE B1 34/50 F Capreo 9/32 R.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dkmwt/78674512/
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1188814973
Wildduck

Post by Wildduck »

But the cassette is almost £87 without considering the cost of the wheel (hub cost isn't much cheaper).

A complete rear wheel would probably come in at the £200 mark; a little too pricey even for my extravagant tastes!
Trice Q 2007 in inky blue (Quackers)
Bacchetta Corsa 26 ATT (The Mad Weeble)
Cube SL Team Cross (Rubberduckzilla)
Homebaked tourer (The Duck's Dream)
MTB mongrel (Harold the Flying Sheep)
EdinburghFixed

Post by EdinburghFixed »

Mick F wrote:Great!

A couple of techy questions:
Where's the front mech?
How does the wheel-lock affect the chain? Surely you can't turn the front wheel through 90 degrees?

There is no front mech... bear with me!

The stock bike comes with a single front ring, which is okay if you can handle just the gear range of a cassette (11-32 is a shade under 300%). There's no problem 'crossing gears' because the chainline is so long (and exotic!)

The demo I borrowed for a week had a 60t chainring, for 35-100". I already felt the top end too limiting for fast runs - hence the 70t. This gives a 120" top gear which allows me to pedal up over 40mph using my "mad fixed wheel spinning skills"...

Then I thought, I can hardly attempt LEJoG on a bike with a 40" granny gear. I can happily get around Edinburgh on that but not out of Cornwall! :shock: So, in the end I ordered a second chainwheel (52t which will get me down to 28.5") and then it seemed silly to physically swap them when I realised they can both be on at the same time...

So far I've barely wanted the small ring, so I'm not sure whether to fit a mech or not. It's the civilised solution but another shifter, cable etc. to look after (it's been hard enough going from one gear to nine!). Plus I'd need to manufacture some sort of extended cage that could cope with a 70t ring... a project for a rainy day perhaps!

As for the wheel lock, you can only turn right about ~30 degrees before you get interference, but it doesn't seem to really happen while riding. I guess you tend to lean more and steer less?
EdinburghFixed

Post by EdinburghFixed »

dkmwt wrote:More techy questions, What rear cassette have you got ? If you want higher gears one way to compensate for the smaller wheel would be to get this the smaller sprockets on this are 9 and 10. According to Sheldon your top gears would 138 inches on the 10 and 145 on the 9, you'd get some serious speed down some not so steep hills.

As you'll see by my signature my top gear is 55/9 giving me 114 on a 20 inch wheel.

I thought about this but the cost put me off a little. It was much cheaper to put 10t on the ring than switch to a Capreo hub and cassette.

It is a good option though.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Good stuff, EF. Thanks for clearing up the techy questions.

EdinburghFixed wrote: ............ I'd need to manufacture some sort of extended cage that could cope with a 70t ring... a project for a rainy day perhaps!
EdinburghFixed wrote: ......... It was much cheaper to put 10t on the ring than switch to a Capreo hub and cassette.

However, if you do want a stock front mech, wouldn't it be easier in the long run to fit a smaller ring system and smaller top-end cogs?
Mick F. Cornwall
EdinburghFixed

Post by EdinburghFixed »

Well observed :?

Ultimately I would like to have the Rohloff / SON hub combo... but until I win the lottery! :shock:
Swizz69

Post by Swizz69 »

Wow, stunning bike 8)

Like the 'chav dragon' too :D

I've got a great solution for your lack of a front deraileur. Once heard of such a setup be described as 'digital shifting' 8) I reckon any questioning passer-by, when hit with "Its got digital shifting mate" would respond with either "Ooooooh" or "Aaaaaah" and leave mightily impressed but non the wiser :lol: