Sinclair C5

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
Punk_shore

Re: Sinclair C5

Post by Punk_shore »

Anything which required a change in the law to allow it to be used on pavements surely did not have a market :o . For "ahead of its time" read "prototype which escaped from the laboratory".

I wonder what Sir Clive's market research budget was for the C5 :shock: ?

Does anyone remember the Ariel-3 motor-tricycle?

P.
What is the colour(s) of your cycle?
Which of its benefits would you recommend?
Please lookup the Bicycle Renewal Programme, linked to the website button beneath "Santa's Little Helper" cartoon.
DaveP

Post by DaveP »

Punk_shore wrote:Does anyone remember the Ariel-3 motor-tricycle?

Yes (hastens to add, Never had/wanted one!)

Thought about these recently - theres a local business selling Chinese made bikes etc. They have a similiar tricycle out front, the difference being that their version has a full hoop windshield, ie up, over the top and back down to the rear lights. Dread to think what it would be like in a cross wind!
Trying to retain enough fitness to grow old disgracefully... That hasn't changed!
saudidave

Post by saudidave »

Punk_shore wrote:Anything which required a change in the law to allow it to be used on pavements surely did not have a market :o . For "ahead of its time" read "prototype which escaped from the laboratory".

I wonder what Sir Clive's market research budget was for the C5 :shock: ?

Does anyone remember the Ariel-3 motor-tricycle?

P.

Ariel 3 - I remember it well. If I'm not mistaken it was 50 cc and was hinged so that the front wheel banked on corners whilst the rear wheels stayed on the ground
Swizz69

Post by Swizz69 »

Anyone see this one thursday?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00n5b92/Micro_Men/

Not really aimed at the C5 but a brill bit of telly for Sinclair fans :)
colin54

Post by colin54 »

I was just watching this short video (10 1/2 min) about a Sinclair C5 today and wondered if it had ever been discussed on the forum before, so an ancient thread resurrected. A bit of history and a look at the design, then a short test (on a too crowded sea-front).
The tester normally comments on old cars. Quite interesting.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnmequMqlnA
The only ones I ever saw were sat outside of shops with adverts propped on them, way back in the 80's & 90's
These could perhaps be modified to make them a bit more useful with recent improvements in battery/motor technology.
Nu-Fogey
colin54

Post by colin54 »

I'd not seen that, thanks. It looks like the last person in the comments did that very thing (souping up an old one).
The old C5 looks a perfect platform for a bit of tinkering.
Nu-Fogey
drossall

Post by drossall »

Many years ago we used to have town-centre races. I'm sure there was a Sinclair C5 category at least one year.
Bonzo Banana

Post by Bonzo Banana »

I was sent the C5 brochure from Sinclair many years ago and think I still have it somewhere. I read that brochure from start to finish and was really interested in the C5 but couldn't afford one and to be honest even if I had the money I probably wouldn't have bought one I think there was a lot of negativity at the time in the press soon after launch and seemed destined to fail.

I think the design would have been better as a conventional bicycle with 2 wheels with the battery low on the frame and perhaps a Sinclair branded fairing to give it a more futuristic look. Maybe something a bit more like the Raleigh Vektar but for adults and with a motor. I feel the concept could have worked quite well if a bit more time was spent on it.

I see on ebay/aliexpress there is a cheap ebike kit where you get a brushed motor and you supply your own lead acid battery. Pretty much the basis for the C5.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/114704710101

Fit it to a Giant Revive and you have the basis of a 2 wheel version with the lead acid battery on the rack at the back.