Sinclair C5

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
gilesjuk

Sinclair C5

Post by gilesjuk »

Did anyone ever own or have a go in one of these?

I school friend of mine had one, minus the electric motor. I can see why they never caught on, very low down and not comfortable.
byegad

Re: Sinclair C5

Post by byegad »

The low down is not a problem in practice. Many recumbents are lower. The lack of comfort came from the lack of design experience of the builder. Most recumbents are massively comfortable but there has been a lot of practical R&D since then! :D

There is an owners group who may have more to say, try googling for them.
"I thought of that while riding my bike." -Albert Einstein, on the Theory of Relativity

2007 ICE QNT
2008 Hase Kettwiesel AL27
2011 Catrike Trail
1951 engine
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Something like 25 years ago they had a batch of these without their motors at Lightwater Valley (an adventure park near Ripon.) They were on a sort of roller skating rink with various funny bikes (eccentric wheels etc.) In spite of a queue to have a go, none of the Sinclairs was being ridden. Even 10 year old kids could see they were useless.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Great Fun, but slow....

We had a reputation as "eccentric at RNAS Culdrose where the Principal Medical Oficer used to ride around the base on one of these and I would use the Trice.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I only ever saw one being used.

I was out riding in the Rowlands Castle area one day when I was stationed in Portsmouth. We had chat, I was impressed because they were ultra-modern and designed by the Great Sinclair.

Pity that the idea never became developed properly.
Mick F. Cornwall
Si

Post by Si »

I think it failed for two reasons: the idea was ahead of its time and the implementation was lacking.

If such a thing was marketed now, by a company experienced in 'bents and leccy bikes, I think that it might do quite well. It would have a number of plus points: much cheaper than running a car, 'green', easier and more comfortable than cycling, helps you stay in shape, potential to be viewed as a 'kewl', must-have fashion item, more protection from the weather than a bike, etc... Alas, the failure of the C5 would probably make getting such an item of the ground a little more difficult.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Si wrote:I think it failed for two reasons: the idea was ahead of its time and the implementation was lacking.

If such a thing was marketed now, by a company experienced in 'bents and leccy bikes, I think that it might do quite well. It would have a number of plus points: much cheaper than running a car, 'green', easier and more comfortable than cycling, helps you stay in shape, potential to be viewed as a 'kewl', must-have fashion item, more protection from the weather than a bike, etc... Alas, the failure of the C5 would probably make getting such an item of the ground a little more difficult.

Hmm, I'll join ICE to develop a nice velomobile...
Modern electrics and materials would make this a realistic proposition
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Just thought about how long ago all this was!

Early 1980s!

It was that long ago, even before I bought my Mercian, so I must have been riding my Raleigh Clubman back then. Happy days with Suntour Ultra 6sp and Campagnolo 980 mechs, 531 main tubes, Weinman center-pulls, and I even had a Nelson saddle bag back then!
Mick F. Cornwall
Si

Post by Si »

Mick, when you start a reply to such a thread as this with....

Just thought

...why do I get an image in my head of someone doing LeJoGLe on (in?) a C5 towing a trailer behind them? :P
byegad

Post by byegad »

To be honest there are a lot of better iterations of the idea around. Unfortunately they are all abroad. The Velomobile movement has several makers with a better enclosure, electric power enough to keep up with town traffic ( This power would be illegal in the UK. ) and practical. There are a few Velomobiles in the UK and the only two I know of are human powered only.

We need to change the law on electric assist to give a realistic top assist speed. I'd suggest 30mph (but could live with 25mph) as that is the default built up area limit. The problem is the powers that be would be keen to impose construction and use, insurance and licencing to such a class. At which point it is easier to build a car!
"I thought of that while riding my bike." -Albert Einstein, on the Theory of Relativity

2007 ICE QNT
2008 Hase Kettwiesel AL27
2011 Catrike Trail
1951 engine
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Mick F. Cornwall
Tigerbiten

Post by Tigerbiten »

There's some good ideas here -> http://www.wisil.recumbents.com/wisil/e-bent/default.htm

Luck .......... :D
DaveP

Post by DaveP »

I saw a C5 coming down the road once.
I heard it before I saw it - it sounded like a plastic bakers tray on castors going over a cattle grid - absolutely unbearable IMO
Trying to retain enough fitness to grow old disgracefully... That hasn't changed!
Palinurus

Post by Palinurus »

I found one at work a while ago, stuck on a Mezzanine floor above the warehouse. It's grey with Loctite graphics on it, I guess it was used at an exhibition or something. Must have a look to see if it's still there..
Swizz69

Post by Swizz69 »

I think it failed for two reasons: the idea was ahead of its time and the implementation was lacking.

Quite right. Its a shame really, but as well as being limited by what was possible in the early '80s techwise (for the money), it seemed to end up being labeled as a 'car' - cough splutter :)

Clive suffered much ridicule as a result of the C5 which from our point of view is a shame as his intentions were highly honourable - don't forget that as well as wishing to create a market for his new vehicle, he was also creating jobs in its development & manufacture. He even intended to develop the idea further - the Twike (can't lay my hands on a link) is surely inspired by Clives ambitions - albeit better executed.

Think 'fully faired, electrically assisted velomobile' 8) Gets you drooling i'm sure - until you hear 'Sinclair C5' :oops: