Grasshopper or something else?

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
gadgetmind

Grasshopper or something else?

Post by gadgetmind »

I currently have a HPV Spirit (the older one with the 16" front wheel) and have really got into bent riding. I mainly commute by Brompton, but use the Spirit for most leisure rides and the odd commute when I'm feeling like an exhibitionist. :-)

I fancy a change for four reasons -
1) The Spirit won't go in a car boot and is a handful on a train or bike rack.
2) I've started to find it rather upright!
3) We've got a Cycle To Work scheme starting, and the £3k upper limit covers a tasty Grasshopper.
4) I could do with the extra salary sacrifice as tax goes complex/mad next tax year. :-(

Any other folding bents I should consider? Once I've settled on what to get, I can start dithering on spec. :-)

Thanks

Ian
byegad

Re: Grasshopper or something else?

Post by byegad »

Have you tried posting this on the Velovision forum or BHPC? I've seen the Grasshopper mentioned on both.
"I thought of that while riding my bike." -Albert Einstein, on the Theory of Relativity

2007 ICE QNT
2008 Hase Kettwiesel AL27
2011 Catrike Trail
1951 engine
gadgetmind

Post by gadgetmind »

I did a search here and on BHPC and there were far more hits here for Grasshopper. However, I'll give it a go, and thanks for the lead to velovision.
Ian
gadgetmind

Post by gadgetmind »

And I just subscribed to the dead tree edition of Velovision.
Ian
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

gadgetmind wrote:And I just subscribed to the dead tree edition of Velovision.
So you've seen that there's a reader's review of the folding 'hopper in issue 36?
Not tried the folding version myself, but have been very pleased with a dual drive equipped 2006MY non-folder: very well thought out and built, IMO.
"42"
gadgetmind

Post by gadgetmind »

Nope, hadn't spotted there was a review - thanks. Will make sure my sub starts at #36.

My Spirit also has dualdrive. Works well, but the rear wheel is developing play. I'm downloading the MY1 service manual for the dualdrive so I can see how to adjust the cones, etc.

Ian
MuirSR

Post by MuirSR »

gadgetmind wrote:3) We've got a Cycle To Work scheme starting, and the £3k upper limit covers a tasty Grasshopper.

£3000 upper limit on the Cycle to Work scheme? I thought it was £1000. Has there been a change?
Stephen
Reading's Cycling Development Officer wrote:...become a TV presenter ... that is what I would like to do [source]
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

There's also the Cobra, which is (was - listing now ended) considerably less money. Someone on BROL has written about his.
"42"
gadgetmind

Post by gadgetmind »

MuirSR wrote:
gadgetmind wrote:3) We've got a Cycle To Work scheme starting, and the £3k upper limit covers a tasty Grasshopper.

£3000 upper limit on the Cycle to Work scheme? I thought it was £1000. Has there been a change?

The £1k limit only applies if your employer doesn't have a consumer credit licence. Mine recently acquired one just to make our benefit package more flexible.

Ian
MuirSR

Post by MuirSR »

Do the tax and NI benefits apply to the whole £3000, or only to a maximum of £1000?
Stephen
Reading's Cycling Development Officer wrote:...become a TV presenter ... that is what I would like to do [source]
gadgetmind

Post by gadgetmind »

You save tax, VAT and NI (employees and the MASSIVE employers) on the full amount.

With all the new tax bands and pension contribution shenanigans next tax year, schemes like this really help.

Ian
gadgetmind

Post by gadgetmind »

squeaker wrote:There's also the Cobra, which is (was - listing now ended) considerably less money. Someone on BROL has written about his.

Interesting bike - the FWD concept seems to be maturing. However, one's faith in the company isn't helped by them claiming it has front suspension (it doesn't and you can't fit it) not that it weighs 25lbs (it's actually 33!)

Seems a bit too work in progress for me.

Ian
Snowgoose

Post by Snowgoose »

I've just put my HP Grasshopper fx on the Velovision small ads if any ones interested.
mcoupe

Post by mcoupe »

My grasshopper fx is now on the Velovision small adds as well if anyones interested!

Mike
gadgetmind

Post by gadgetmind »

I'd be interested if it wasn't for the lure of a bike for well less than half price in the Cycle To Work scheme. All the fancy new taxes next FY make CTW an even better deal.
Ian