Solid tyres

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
7_lives_left

Re: Solid tyres

Post by 7_lives_left »

Yorkshireman wrote:Solid tyres got a very sound 'drubbing' around 2004 in the old forum (when we had some 'interesting' posters on the subject). Enter 'punctures/solid tyres' in 'search', go back to around 2004 ... :twisted:

Is the old forum still on-line? Where can I find it? I tried the search suggested on this site but the history didn't go back that far.
Yorkshireman

Post by Yorkshireman »

A little bit from 2006 (via 'forum search')
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1939&p=11027&hilit=solid+tyres#p11027
More from 2006
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1939&p=11013&hilit=punctures#p11013
I can't find the bits from 2004 this morning (they probably weren't as useful as the link above anyway).
Colin N.
Lincolnshire is mostly flat ... but the wind is mostly in your face!
http://www.freewebs.com/yorkshireman1/
byegad

Post by byegad »

This comment from 2006 is the one I'd half remembered.

* Report this post

Re:Punctures - fed up.

Postby AntonyG » Wed Mar 29, 2006 1:36 pm
Just a quick warning about the Amerityres: I've found out that they roll off the rim very easily, much more so than the GreenTyres. The latter were very difficult to get off, even with the help of the tool (almost bent my wheel). In contrast, the Amerityres slip off easily in the hand. I have re-checked the size, and they are indeed the right ones for my wheels.

I don't know whether this problem will affect low speed commuters, but definitely be careful going over kerbs and taking corners quickly.

AntonyG

unquote

This is a good reason not to fit them to a trike in my opinion.
"I thought of that while riding my bike." -Albert Einstein, on the Theory of Relativity

2007 ICE QNT
2008 Hase Kettwiesel AL27
2011 Catrike Trail
1951 engine
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

3wheelsgood wrote:
[XAP]Bob wrote:They've been tried, but by anyone here?
I'm aware of some of their disadvantages, t was an idle thought whilst I struggle to get CRC to work out what size tyres they have...

Of course, looking at the number of spokes you've already replaced on your front wheels, why not go the whole hog and rebuild the wheels onto a couple of 406 rims? Then a whole world of tyre selection opens up for you...

Colin

Just had my first 'tagged' spokes go :(

Looking at new rims and spokes is relatively expensive at the moment - Although I may take a trip to a decent lbs (which will rebuild wheel while I wait) to arrange a rebuild onto 406 rims - replacing the hubs as well is just scarily expensive (I think I ended up at £220 with new hubs as well :shock: )

Bob

NB - I tag spokes when they snap so I know whether I'm replacing new or old spokes...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
irc

Post by irc »

Joff Summerfield did side by side tests. Solid tyres were slower with a harsher ride. So how bad do you want to be puncture free?

http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o=W ... d=4836&v=C
No one believes more firmly than Comrade Napoleon that all animals are equal. He would be only too happy to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be?
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

irc wrote:Joff Summerfield did side by side tests. Solid tyres were slower with a harsher ride. So how bad do you want to be puncture free?

http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o=W ... d=4836&v=C

Not puncture free - want tyres to last...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
EdinburghFixed

Post by EdinburghFixed »

There is certainly no need to replace your hubs!

Since it sounds like you are going to have to have the wheels relaced either way, I would try to find the money to switch to 406 rims if possible. Then, my utmost recommendation is to get yourself some 406x35 Kojaks which will currently set you back a princely £13 each, with free delivery.

I've recently gone back to my supposedly "easy rolling" 700C road bike, compared with the 20" front wheel of the lowracer the ride is unbelievably rough! (23mm vs 35mm)
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

EdinburghFixed wrote:There is certainly no need to replace your hubs!

Unless I just want a swap out an no-one is willing to re lace while I wait.
I could probably do it myself, but that means working out spoke lengths, then finding them!

Since it sounds like you are going to have to have the wheels relaced either way, I would try to find the money to switch to 406 rims if possible. Then, my utmost recommendation is to get yourself some 406x35 Kojaks which will currently set you back a princely £13 each, with free delivery.

I've recently gone back to my supposedly "easy rolling" 700C road bike, compared with the 20" front wheel of the lowracer the ride is unbelievably rough! (23mm vs 35mm)

If I do get relaced (which won't be until I a) run out of spokes and/or b) run out of tyres) then I'll probably make the move.

The current tyres are lower pressure (60 rather than the 100+ durano or the 40psi originals) and seem to be wearing over a wider area, hopefully they'll last a few months...