ICE sprint / adventure seating

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
lawrenceb

ICE sprint / adventure seating

Post by lawrenceb »

Has anyone had any thoughts on making the stardard mesh seat more comfortable. I did a demo ride today and found the seat very uncomfortable. Infact it caused me more back pain that my normal bike. The sides of the seat dud into my shoulder blades and hit the spot that hurts the most. This is one reason im considering not buying one. Anyone got any suggestions?
byegad

Re: ICE sprint / adventure seating

Post by byegad »

As far as I'm aware the seat is the same as has been used by ICE for some years. I find mine very comfortable indeed. I needed to slacken the straps a little so there was a little give in the mesh and I found comfort from day one. I do use ICE the under seat pad on both my trikes to get the seat part 'just right'.

If you are wide enough to rest on the frame then try removing the mesh and fitting plumbers pipe lagging over the outer edges on the frame before refitting the mesh. Alternatively try a sheepskin as an over seat addition, a few cable ties will hold a suitably cut one in place. Both these ideas come from America where they make bigger people than we usually see in the UK.

I suppose like saddles we all have our own needs for seating. Personally I can't get away with ICE's hard shell seat but rode an Optima hard shell on my Azub-4 in great comfort once I'd reclined it sufficiently.
"I thought of that while riding my bike." -Albert Einstein, on the Theory of Relativity

2007 ICE QNT
2008 Hase Kettwiesel AL27
2011 Catrike Trail
1951 engine
tricerider

Re: ICE sprint / adventure seating

Post by tricerider »

The reticulated form seat pad sold by ICE really improved the comfort of my mesh seat.
Did you spot a typo on this page? I'll bet their is won...
http://tricerider.blogspot.com/