mech hanger

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
Si

mech hanger

Post by Si »

How do you straighten a mech hanger on a bent?

Do the normal alignment tools work, given that the crankset is so much further away from the mech?

Alas, in the great drive train crunch of '10, I think that along with snapping my mech in half and taking half the teeth off my cassette, I may have bent the hanger.
[XAP]Bob

Re: mech hanger

Post by [XAP]Bob »

The extra length should reduce the sensitivty, but what do the normal tools line up on - if it's the chain, then there should be no issue
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
ajs

Post by ajs »

The mech hanger alignment tool I have, and those I've used in the past, align the hanger to the plane of the wheel. They use the braking surface on the installed rim as the reference surface for the probe that projects from the rotatable, radial arm. Hence, their use on a 'bent should be no more nor less straightforward than on a DF (which is often "complicated" if you can't be bothered to remove racks and mudguards; having then to work around the rack and 'guard stays. These complications may arise more frequently with some 'bent configurations). It's always worth checking hanger alignment, occasionally, even if no damage is suspected. I've found poor alignment on new frames that I've acquired and enjoyed smoother running and shifting after correcting any misalignment. So, worth having a mech hanger alignment tool in your tool box especially if you have several 'cycles - or fall off frequently!
Si

Post by Si »

cheers ajs, I'll have a look out for one that works like that - the one that I played with aligned on the chain ring, which wasn't very good for the 'bent