Trike tyres...

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
banjokat

Re: Trike tyres...

Post by banjokat »

The stock Marathon racers on my QNT are about worn out, I have a set of 50mm BA's on order at LBS. I'm hoping these will improve the trike's tendency to get a bit squirrelly on fast descents.
Cullin

Post by Cullin »

On Tuesday morning I phoned The ICE Team and ordered 3 Schwalbe Marathon Plus tyres, They arrived by 9:00AM Wednesday, I have fitted them with no trouble. I am now waiting for the stormy rain to stop so I can go out to play.
I have read on other forums that people were having problems trying to fit them.
Some broke their Tyre levers in the process... I put them on by hand... not wanting to preach to the knowledgeable, but.
I first rubbed a bit of washing up liquid on the tyre beading and also on the inside of the wheel rim, then placing the wheel onto the tyre so that the tyre bead was in the centre well of the wheel, this gave me the extra couple of mil to slip the rest of the tyre on, I then gave the tube a couple of pumps and carefully place it into the tyre so there were no twists.
Same procedure for the outer bead, I think were others have gone wrong is in not putting the bead into the centre of the wheel well.
When the tyre is fully pumped up, you find that the washing liquid allows the tyre bead to properly slide into place on the edge of the wheel rim, not causing the bulge in parts of the tyre.
Due to the slight size increase in the tyre size, I did have to adjust the front mudguards (Ice Q).
Don't forget if you have a trip computer, you may have to recalibrate it's tyre measurements, it could be a couple of centimeters.
I hope this helps.
Bill.
Never See a Trike, Then Four Come Along...

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_q ... holic&aq=f
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

Cullin wrote:I have read on other forums that people were having problems trying to fit them.
Some broke their Tyre levers in the process... I put them on by hand... not wanting to preach to the knowledgeable, but.
Not wishing to denigrate your efforts (or method) but IME the 406 Schurmann Sport 19 rims that ICE used to fit to the T, Q and S are on the small side - IME Marathon Racers almost fall on by themselves - and fitting an M+ is no sweat compared to some of the problems I have found with ordinary Marathons on old 633 rims with little well depth. 531Colin's video is definitive for me :)
"42"
Cullin

Post by Cullin »

Hi Squeaker,
That probably explains my amazement that there was no struggle, I did think some might not have tried to fit them correctly.
Thank you for you comments and I hope it helps those who have had difficulties.
By the way, I went out on them for the first time yesterday and found them to be very pleasing, my Marathon Racers were getting a bit thin and prone to punctures.
Cheers
Bill.

squeaker

Post by squeaker »

Cullin wrote:By the way, I went out on them for the first time yesterday and found them to be very pleasing, my Marathon Racers were getting a bit thin and prone to punctures.
Just out of interest, did you get the 35 or 47mm section M+?
"42"
Cullin

Post by Cullin »

They sent me 406 X 1.75...
Very chuffed with them so far, don't know when I can get out again,