Pashley PDQ questions

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
hercule

Pashley PDQ questions

Post by hercule »

As a confirmed 'bent triker I have been investigating the world of two wheelers and am currently practising on a Pashley PDQ that came to me at a reasonably cheap price. I've had a couple of months of less and less wobbly riding and have been impressed by the bike... but have an irresistible urge to tinker with bikes and it's no different with the PDQ.

First question regards chain tubes: having seen what others have done the idea of a more enclosed chain (like my trike) has appeal, but also allows easier changing between the three chainrings I am currently running. I ordered the necessary bits from Optima in NL but on installing found that there was such a huge amount of drag on the chain that one end was hanging loose whilst the other end was sucking the rear mech into the end of the tube. I quickly reverted to the bare chain and original roller but would like to know what I've done wrong.

Second is handlebars: has anyone tried "Superman" style bars on the PDQ - like those fitted to Bacchetta bikes? I wonder if this would reduce my wobble propensity. I'm aware others have converted the PDQ to USS but much prefer OSS - if only to give me a place to stick my mirror conveniently.

Finally the front wheel bearings are shot: the Sachs hub seems to use oversize cones so finding replacements hasn't been as straightforward as I had anticipated. I did think about fitting a BMX front wheel but garish colours aren't my scene. I have no problem building my own, but wondered if there was a cheaper ready built source that I've missed.

All comments welcome! I've been really impressed with the bike: I nearly splashed out 00's on a Bacchetta Giro but the Pashley has proved a really nice bike as I slowly get the hang of it - only one (slow speed) off so far....
Si

Re: Pashley PDQ questions

Post by Si »

Interesting comment about your chain rings - I'd always thought that PDQ only came with a 3*7 sachs hub (like mine) and didn't realise that you could get them with three chain rings. If you had the sachs hub I'd guess that it would be easier to fit the chain tube. Although personally I've never had a problem with the chain being open.

As to wheels - they are a fairly common size for folding bikes and 'bents. If you try somewhere like AVC you might find something suitable.

Wobble wise - I think that you just need to get used to it, I used to wobble a fair bit but it improves with every ride. Just need to keep your upper body relaxed and don't tug on the bars. Also check the pivot between stem and top of steerer for play.

only one (slow speed) off so far....

Yep, not the fastest of bikes - probably better to think of it as being more akin to a heavy tourer than a carbon fibre race bike in upright terms....very comfortable and good VFM.
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

hercule wrote:I ordered the necessary bits from Optima in NL but on installing found that there was such a huge amount of drag on the chain that one end was hanging loose whilst the other end was sucking the rear mech into the end of the tube. I quickly reverted to the bare chain and original roller but would like to know what I've done wrong.
How much of the chain run did you try and enclose (some pics would help)? Looking at an on-line pic of a PDQ, I'd have thought that just the powerside chain in front of the idler could do with a tube, which would be anchored, and carefully aligned, at the idler. Non-PTFE tube and poor alignment would cause excessive friction.
"42"
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

Second is handlebars: has anyone tried "Superman" style bars on the PDQ - like those fitted to Bacchetta bikes? I wonder if this would reduce my wobble propensity. I'm aware others have converted the PDQ to USS but much prefer OSS - if only to give me a place to stick my mirror conveniently.

I've not ridden a PDQ, but I do find considerable variation when otherwise identical bikes have tiller or superman bars. I wouldn't say I'm wobbly with tillers, but I certainly don't have the same confidence. That's been the case on a couple of Optimas and the HP Vel Speedmachine. The geometry of the bike doesn't really change so I think it's a preference thing, so if you're not completely happy with tillers I'd give the other sort a go.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
hercule

Post by hercule »

My comment about the "off" was merely that I was going slowly at the time: compared to my trike it seems pretty brisk (alarmingly so at times)!

There's a photo somewhere on this very forum of a chain-tubed PDQ, which is pretty much what I did.

And yes, PDQs did come with a single chainring, but I had a spare triple sitting around that seemed ideal for the purpose... Manual change only, of course, there's no opportunity to fit a front mech.

There is also very little tiller effect with the bars, it's more a twist really - but the bars are very narrow and I wondered if a broader bar would help stabilise the steering. Though I am getting better at it.
windmiller

Post by windmiller »

I found tiller bars to be ok unless I was tired. When concentration is required going fast or in heavy traffic I much prefered the more forgivng nature of superman bars.
zoxed

Post by zoxed »

I returned (http://www.zoxed.eu/pdq_intro.html) to my PDQ after a long break from it, and I can assure you that the handling *will* get better after time/practice. When I first got my PDQ I could barely ride it (http://search.bikelist.org/query.asp?Se ... ht+line%22), but now I can almost track stand on it !! (well I can roll forward very slowly.)
I had also considered arms-out bars, but in the end decided it was probably not worth the hassle/cost of finding/fitting the correct stem/bars !!
I also found it not the fastest bike, but faster than my Kett (approx 1 to 1.5 mph faster).
Si

Post by Si »

BTW, while on the subject of PDQs, what tyres are we using? Mine are the originals and are getting a bit ropey, going to need hew ones soon and would like a bit more grip, comfort and speed!
zoxed

Post by zoxed »

Si wrote:BTW, while on the subject of PDQs, what tyres are we using? ...

Marathons, 40mm width. Fit is fine, grip seems good in wet (although I do not push it !!) and (I should not say this), no punctures so far !!

(Is this thread now a PDQ owners shout-out ? !! Is the PDQ a "classic" yet ?)

(Here is a scan of the Cycle Plus review that triggered me to buy my PDQ, blind, many moons ago: http://www.zoxed.eu/photos/Cp1997bents.html)
Si

Post by Si »

zoxed wrote:
(Is this thread now a PDQ owners shout-out ? !! Is the PDQ a "classic" yet ?)

It's a Pashley, and it's got chrome on it...must be a classic.

zoxed wrote:(Here is a scan of the Cycle Plus review that triggered me to buy my PDQ, blind, many moons ago: http://www.zoxed.eu/photos/Cp1997bents.html)

Back when C+ used to be a proper bike magazine! :wink:

So now I know what mine was supposed to look like before all the tape and rust and bolt on bits were applied.
hercule

Post by hercule »

Si wrote:BTW, while on the subject of PDQs, what tyres are we using? Mine are the originals and are getting a bit ropey, going to need hew ones soon and would like a bit more grip, comfort and speed!

Kojaks on mine: because I was looking for minimum seat height for my short legs. I have found them a bit sketchy on gravelly roads, may go back to the original Marathons the bike came with (which I discovered were unnaturally sluggish owing to the double layer of tyre liner...)