fairing for TWBent Artifice trike.

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
byegad

Re: fairing for TWBent Artifice trike.

Post by byegad »

Did you speak to London Recumbents? I was looking for headset bearings for a trike and the dealer in the UK was having no success. A call to LR got me my bearings, they even chased the manufacturer who was being a bit slow sending them out.

I find talking rather than mailing helps.
"I thought of that while riding my bike." -Albert Einstein, on the Theory of Relativity

2007 ICE QNT
2008 Hase Kettwiesel AL27
2011 Catrike Trail
1951 engine
rand

Post by rand »

Byegad, Just heard from London Recumbents. Price is £492 - 65p delivered and waiting time is, 3/4 weeks!
Too pricey for me.

Rand.
CW

Post by CW »

Rand

I have recently replaced my Streamer for a Windwrap. Why? because I wanted to treat myself. It was a little more expensive than the new Streamer price but suited my needs,nay, desire better.
I was considering keeping the streamer, but reading about your own desire I may be persuaded to part company with it. I`d rather it get used than sit here gathering dust. It`s given me good service after being bought secondhand from Dtek . It has some holes drilled through the fairing at the lower bracket where I made my own light mount and allowed wires to pass through. Though the mount made from copper tubing has started to crack.
So if your interested let me know. I would not be looking for a kings ransom.
Chris
rand

Post by rand »

CW, You have PM.

Rand.
phil1965

Post by phil1965 »

2nd dibs on that
MuirSR

Post by MuirSR »

rand wrote:As Bikefix had already quoted me, " About £380 ", I asked them for an inclusive price and delivery date - result - silence.
rand wrote:Just heard from London Recumbents. Price is £492 - 65p delivered and waiting time is, 3/4 weeks!

The 2012 list price of the Streamer fairing is shown on HP Velotechnik's website as EUR399 including VAT at Germany's 19% rate. The comment at the bottom of the page:
HP Velotechnik wrote:Complete bikes are only sold through qualified bikeshops. Spare parts can be ordered through your bikeshop or directly from us.
suggests to me that, since it's not a "complete bike", the Streamer fairing may be ordered from them direct without having to go through a dealer. It looks like shipping would cost an extra EUR14.90. An online currency converter I just tried showed the total as around £355.

Should you wish to follow this up with HP Velotechnik, a contact I have is Thomas Dannenmann, whose e-mail address is thomas@hpvelotechnik.com.
Stephen
Reading's Cycling Development Officer wrote:...become a TV presenter ... that is what I would like to do [source]
rand

Post by rand »

MuirSR, many thanks for your invaluable info.
I'm about to contact Thomas Danneman re: price for Streamer delivered to UK address.

Rand.
rand

Post by rand »

Velotechnik will not conduct business with credit cards and all business has to be conducted with bank transfer.
Too restrictive for my limited finances.

Rand.
rand

Post by rand »

For those interested, I've just ordered Velotechnik Streamer fairing from Bikefix. They agreed to split the difference between their original price of £400 and Velotechnik's price of £347. Total price £375, I get to use credit card and can expect delivery by about fourteen days -OK by me.

Rand
rand

Post by rand »

Streamer, supplied by Bikefix arrived on 24th November and will be mounted on trike on 2nd Dec.
I can't wait to try it out and I'll ask LBS to pay due attention to Byegads practice of swapping front support with rear support.

Rand.
rand

Post by rand »

Byegad and all,
Streamer was fitted yesterday and I just love it - looking forward to a really cold and windy winter!
Byegad, I recently read a posting by you, where you explained what was needed to make a "spray tray/spray protector" for you bent trike but try as I might, I just cannot locate it. Would you please be good enough to post that info here on this site for me?

Regards all, Rand.
colyer

Post by colyer »

From time to time I consider getting a Streamer for my Street Machine. A change of commute a few months ago has got me thinking about it again.

How much length does it add to the front of the bike? That could make all the difference to whether I can still get the bike in and out of the house with the fairing fitted.
Danny Colyer
byegad

Post by byegad »

Just seen your post rand.
You need some Correx, an Estate agents sign will do but it's cheap enough to buy I used Google to find a mail order supplier.

Cut a size that is about 5" wider than the gap between the handlebars, this is so you can bend a flap either side to wrap up and protect you. It needs to be long enough to reach the back of the seat from the cross piece. Cut slots a little wider than the rails of the seat to go either side of the seat as you slide the central tab under the seat, an ICE seat pad helps keep it in place. Fold from the front of the slots so the wide flaps rest on the handlebars. This stops water spraying off the front wheel onto the lower part, as you sit, of your thigh. Total cost free if you use an estate agent sign or a couple of pounsds with new Correx.

Hope this helps.
"I thought of that while riding my bike." -Albert Einstein, on the Theory of Relativity

2007 ICE QNT
2011 Catrike Trail
1951 engine
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

colyer wrote:From time to time I consider getting a Streamer for my Street Machine. A change of commute a few months ago has got me thinking about it again.

How much length does it add to the front of the bike? That could make all the difference to whether I can still get the bike in and out of the house with the fairing fitted.

Depends on the size of your feet!

The bigger the feet, the further forward and up it goes.

The good news however is that it simply velcroes on, so attaching and detaching is a few seconds work.
byegad

Post by byegad »

I remove and fit the Streamer without disassembling the fairing The front is mounted with a QR so you release the QR and pull the stinger out of the mount, slide the rear mount inner tube up and away you go into the house. The fairing complete stands against the wall. Fitting/removing takes under a minute. The front clamp stays on the trikes and the rear mount with outer tube is mounted on the boom, permanently. To ride without the fairing simply fold the rear tube back and flat to the boom (Kettwiesel), or forward to touch the Dérailleur post (QNT.)

2007 ICE QNT
2011 Catrike Trail
1951 engine