fairing for TWBent Artifice trike.

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
rand

Re: fairing for TWBent Artifice trike.

Post by rand »

byegad wrote:Just seen your post rand.
You need some Correx, an Estate agents sign will do but it's cheap enough to buy I used Google to find a mail order supplier.

Cut a size that is about 5" wider than the gap between the handlebars, this is so you can bend a flap either side to wrap up and protect you. It needs to be long enough to reach the back of the seat from the cross piece. Cut slots a little wider than the rails of the seat to go either side of the seat as you slide the central tab under the seat, an ICE seat pad helps keep it in place. Fold from the front of the slots so the wide flaps rest on the handlebars. This stops water spraying off the front wheel onto the lower part, as you sit, of your thigh. Total cost free if you use an estate agent sign or a couple of pounsds with new Correx.

Hope this helps.

Many thanks, Byegad. That's a great help.

Rand.
colyer

Post by colyer »

Cunobelin wrote:
colyer wrote:How much length does it add to the front of the bike? That could make all the difference to whether I can still get the bike in and out of the house with the fairing fitted.

Depends on the size of your feet!

The bigger the feet, the further forward and up it goes.

Does that really make a significant difference? Most of the foot hangs below the pedals and is angled backwards anyway.

If I'd thought about it (which I hadn't until now) I'd expect crank length to make more of a difference.

Any thoughts on an approximate figure? FWIW I have size 9 feet and use 160mm cranks.

The good news however is that it simply velcroes on, so attaching and detaching is a few seconds work.

That's putting me off slightly - it makes the fairing seem too easily stealable.
Danny Colyer
byegad

Post by byegad »

Your average thief is likely to leave it alone. Hardly an easy thing to sell down the pub. 'Fell off the front of a racing car governor.' Anyone who asks me about my trikes with a suspicion of 'intent' gets told there's only one like this in the country, but you get some quite like it.
"I thought of that while riding my bike." -Albert Einstein, on the Theory of Relativity

2007 ICE QNT
2008 Hase Kettwiesel AL27
2011 Catrike Trail
1951 engine
Tigerbiten

Post by Tigerbiten »

colyer wrote:Any thoughts on an approximate figure?

Mine's max length is only a couple of inches in front of the pedals.
If I spin the cranks, one of the pedals can just touch the fairing if the pedals horizontal.
Thats how close you can fit it as long as your toes don't touch it as they come around.
So add around 8-9" in front of the bottom bracket.

But the thing to remember is its also around 2 foot wide at that point.
This makes a lot more difference than the extra length when trying to slot it through a narrow twisty passageway.
The bit of the fairing you tend to catch on corners is ~45 degrees either side from the bottom bracket.
colyer

Post by colyer »

Thanks. I think I can just about handle the width (though it'll be tight, and my wife will complain during the few minutes each day that my bike sits in the hall). Most of the manoeuvring round the house is down with the bike stood up on its back wheel, so it's a question of whether the length will allow me to fit it through a doorway. And that will be /really/ tight.

I think I'll have to tape some sticks to the bike in various places and at various angles, then try getting it in and out.
Danny Colyer
HenryCrun

Post by HenryCrun »

Does anyone please know of a secondhand Streamer fairing for an ICE Sprint trike, plus the price I'd probably need to pay?
There are old pilots and bold pilots but not many old bold pilots.
Tigerbiten

Post by Tigerbiten »

HenryCrun wrote:Does anyone please know of a secondhand Streamer fairing for an ICE Sprint trike, plus the price I'd probably need to pay?

Try and have a word with Kevin Dunseath at D-Tek. Tel. 01353 648 177. Email dtekhpvs@btconnect.com. Business Address : Main Street Little Thetford Cambridgeshire CB6 1BR.
I got both my Streamer fairings from him at a reasonable price.