Parts from US

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
Loomis

Parts from US

Post by Loomis »

Has anybody with a Bacchetta had experience of ordering parts direct from the manufacturer in America? I see from their website that Pay Pal is now accepted, which I would be comfortable with, but my main concern is VAT or import duties and such like. Would it matter for small relatively low value parts? I am particularly interested in the alloy forks for my Giro 20. I am a very long way from any agents in this country unfortunately, so there is always postal cost here to be considered in any case.
byegad

Re: Parts from US

Post by byegad »

HMRC will or will not apply a charge. Royal Mail collect it so if you don't pay the item doesn't arrive. If they decide to charge you it adds a goodly %age to your purchase!
"I thought of that while riding my bike." -Albert Einstein, on the Theory of Relativity

2007 ICE QNT
2008 Hase Kettwiesel AL27
2011 Catrike Trail
1951 engine
Loomis

Post by Loomis »

Thanks for that byegad; looking a bit gloomy now. How do they assess how much to charge without knowing the value or content, or does the vendor have to specify this? Sorry but I am a bit ignorant of these things.
MikewsMITH2

Post by MikewsMITH2 »

I have had to pay 20% VAT but no import duty on bike parts from USA. Parcelforce charged me £14 handling fee. I don't know if this was a percentage or flat rate charge. Value of my consignment was $100. I understand there is no charge by HMRC under £15.

The sender has to state the nature of the goods and the value on the outside of the parcel. HMRC also open a proportion of parcels.
S.O.S - Save Our Steel!
1971 Raleigh Mercury
2010 Condor Fratello
1980 Peugeot Tandem
1989 MBK Aventure MTB
195? Viking Severn Valley
1951 Raleigh Lenton Sports
See them here http://tinyurl.com/Mikewsmiths-Bikes
byegad

Post by byegad »

They seem to apply the charges randomly.

I'm sure there are rules and they apply them, but to the outsider there is little sense to when and how much they charge. I've had two almost identical parcels a few weeks apart, one attracted VAT and excise duty and the other didn't. No idea why.
"I thought of that while riding my bike." -Albert Einstein, on the Theory of Relativity

2007 ICE QNT
2008 Hase Kettwiesel AL27
2011 Catrike Trail
1951 engine
MikewsMITH2

Post by MikewsMITH2 »

byegad wrote:They seem to apply the charges randomly.

I'm sure there are rules and they apply them, but to the outsider there is little sense to when and how much they charge. I've had two almost identical parcels a few weeks apart, one attracted VAT and excise duty and the other didn't. No idea why.

If you look at the RM website they say that HMRC do not examine every parcel and if you haven't been charged you have been lucky
S.O.S - Save Our Steel!
1971 Raleigh Mercury
2010 Condor Fratello
1980 Peugeot Tandem
1989 MBK Aventure MTB
195? Viking Severn Valley
1951 Raleigh Lenton Sports
See them here http://tinyurl.com/Mikewsmiths-Bikes
TonyR

Post by TonyR »

I order stuff from the US and it can come by courier company such as Fedex or DHL in which case you will always IME pay duty plus VAT and don't forget the VAT is calculated including the shipping and packing charges. The courier company can also add on customs clearance charges. The sender should enclose a shipping note with the costs itemised on it for them to use. The advantage is it is trackable and insured if it doesn't arrive.

It can also arrive by post in which case its not trackable or insured. Then its a lottery as to what you get charged. You can get it popped through the letterbox with no charge or you can have the postman at the door or have to go to the Post Office in order to pay for the duty and/or VAT.

Its best to assume you will be paying duty and VAT and look on it as a bonus if it arrives without.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Match $ and £ and your calculations will not be far out

There will be a customs notice on the outside that gives a description of the contents, and their value. This is what Customs and excise will use.

I successfully contested the charge for my Dinotte lights as they were a repair and not new items.

There are other alternatives. Why not go through one of the dealers, this often reduces shipping and other costs?

I use Icletta for lots of stuff and also Recumbent partswho do a range of forks in 20 1nd 26 inch
Loomis

Post by Loomis »

Thanks for the very useful info. I am much more clued up now on what to expect.