Elliptigo

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
Cunobelin

Re: Elliptigo

Post by Cunobelin »

Mick F wrote:I wonder if you can tow a trailer ...........

On the video the "drive bars and links" seem to clear the rear hub, so your Carry Freedom should work.........
Nettled Shin

Post by Nettled Shin »

Cunobelin wrote:Sometimes there are machines you just have to try ... and this is one of them

Many moons ago, Tomorrow's World featured a bike propelled by thy rider moving up and down. I can't remember the details and I can't find any reference to it, now. I doubt it could have had an eccentric wheel like a bounce bike, as they were already around. Perhaps the seat moved up and down?
philg

Post by philg »

I followed one of these on the way home last night.

I first saw him about 100 yards ahead and although it was obviously a bike, I couldn't understand why the riders head was about 2 feet above where it should be, and he appeared to be bobbing up and down like he was riding a £100 full suspension MTB.

Intrigued, I stepped up a gear and caught him, to discover this strange machine (I hadn't seen this thread previously). He seemed happy with it, and was going well without too much obvious effort! Not cheap though.
The weekend comes, my cycle hums
Geriatrix

Post by Geriatrix »

I would love to try one of those. Looks like great fun.
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled - Richard Feynman
Joe.B

Post by Joe.B »

I think I read on YACF London-Edunburgh-London board that a couple of bods are going to LEL on these.
byegad

Post by byegad »

byegad wrote:Nice advert.

Not convinced about keeping up with an equally fit rider at speed, the upright position = more drag. I can keep up with fitter DF riders than me on the flat with my recumbent trikes, all down to better aerodynamics. :D

Yes, my thoughts too. This 61 year old fat asthmatic can burn off local club riders into a gale on his front faired QNT! In other conditions they whiz past me!
"I thought of that while riding my bike." -Albert Einstein, on the Theory of Relativity

2007 ICE QNT
2008 Hase Kettwiesel AL27
2011 Catrike Trail
1951 engine
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Chatting to my cousin's husband on Friday at a family wedding, but it was so busy and noisy in the bar, I couldn't get enough info.

However, what I did find out was that he was the 96th person to do over 100miles on one. :D
There must be some sort of forum/website.
Mick F. Cornwall
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Geriatrix wrote:I would love to try one of those. Looks like great fun.

They are - I have a very quick go on one at a local "open the new cycleway" event, combined with ride on britain, or some such...

Actually really easy to use, stopping was interesting ;) but you'd get used to it after just a couple of dismounts.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Tortoise

Post by Tortoise »

Idai is hiding his light under a bushel rather, as he and one other rider completed the 1400km London-Edinburgh-London Audax ride in about 116 hours 'riding' these machines at the end of July!
byegad

Re:

Post by byegad »

Tortoise wrote:Idai is hiding his light under a bushel rather, as he and one other rider completed the 1400km London-Edinburgh-London Audax ride in about 116 hours 'riding' these machines at the end of July!

Chapeua!
"I thought of that while riding my bike." -Albert Einstein, on the Theory of Relativity

2007 ICE QNT
2008 Hase Kettwiesel AL27
2011 Catrike Trail
1951 engine
mrjemm

Post by mrjemm »

Aaagh, can't remember the details, but was in WHSmiths and browsing a 'Trek & Mountain' magazine (I think, or was it, Adventure Travel, or similar?), and saw an article in there about some guy called Flash Conundrum (or something like that...) who'd done a big trip on one, up mountain passes or such. Worth a peruse perhaps.

Aha, here you go... 'Squash Falconer'- http://www.squashfalconer.com/elliptigo.shtml

OK, and Squash is a lady, ooops.
hercule

Post by hercule »

Having watched her video, and having a slightly dodgy ankle at the moment which is curtailing my running activities, I'm half-seriously interested in trying an Elliptigo. I wonder how the public responds? My experiences on recumbents, trikes especially, have been almost wholly positive, but I suspect Eliptigos are not for the shy and retiring types as you bound along the road above everyone else's head height (see the brief clip where they were riding with an Ordinary). I'm not bothered about them being faster or slower than normal bikes (I'm sure they're probably a bit slower) but the running analogy is particularly of interest to me.
Aushiker

Post by Aushiker »

It seems New Yorkers have discouvered these "bikes" if this article at FoxNY is anything to go by.

Andrew
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

Mick F wrote:http://www.elliptigo.com/
My cousin's husband has one of these.
He has a problematic back and cannot ride a "normal" bicycle and didn't want a recumbent. He likes the upright/standing position.

A Pedersen may suit, and let him take a bit weight off his legs too.

Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Thread resurrection alert

I have never seen an Elliptigo in the flesh, but I do fancy trying one. Thinking of looking for one at the cycle fair next year, I think an Elliptigo is a 'cycle'

Any experiences? Whatabout learning to ride, how does it compare with learning to ride a trike?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies