Azub Twin

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
4wils

Azub Twin

Postby 4wils » 3 Dec 2011, 8:02pm

Does anyone have any experience of the Azub Twin recumbent tandem? The stoker finds the semi recumbent position on bikes like the Rans Screamer uncomfortable and we thought that the fully recumbent rear on the Azub might be better (she rides an Ice Explorer without any problems).
The Czech Republic is a long way to go for a test ride, but it is a lot to spend on a bike without seeing one in the "flesh" so to speak. Can anyone comment on the ride or does anyone have one we could take a look at?
Thanks
Keith

Cunobelin

Re: Azub Twin

Postby Cunobelin » 3 Dec 2011, 9:47pm

I was going to refer you to Velovision, but I see you are already there!

They have reviewed the new tandem made by oVo

The pedigree is good as Richard Creswell has a history with recumbents and folders (he was bought out by Pashley)

4wils

Postby 4wils » 4 Dec 2011, 7:12am

Thanks Cunobelin,

We tried the OVO last weekend.
Smashing bike, well thought out and great build quality. Unfortunately, the stoker has a disc problem and finds the semi recumbent position , with feet lower than seat painful.
Richard was very helpful and I would recommend anyone interested to try the OVO.

Joe.B

Postby Joe.B » 4 Dec 2011, 8:45am

It seems that your requirements are very similar to those of my wife and I. We also have the Azub twin & oVo on our short list for a new tandem. We have not been able to test either yet but like you we are a little unsure about the stoker ergonomics on the oVo. We did get the opportunity to ride a Hase Pino last summer, it was superb but of course it’s only half recumbent.
GreenSpeed do a tandem trike but it is bloody expensive and I have some concerns about its lack of agility. Our other idea was to maybe buy two Hase Kettweisels and run them coupled. Again bloody expensive but in effect we get three bikes for the price of two as they will also function as solos.
Just remembered, another great feature of the Pino was how close together your heads are, conversation is so easy.

Cunobelin

Postby Cunobelin » 4 Dec 2011, 9:38am

This is not going to be helpful at all, but if you want to talk head to head then......

A Dutch company called Janus used to make a back to back tandem:

ICE also dabbled when they made the tandem trikes and had the B2B on their list:

4wils

Postby 4wils » 4 Dec 2011, 3:23pm

Joe,

We have followed a similar thought process. Recumbent tandem trike, big, heavy difficult to transport. We did go down to West Country recumbents to try the Greenspeed but we were not impressed, all rather agricultural in design and manufacture, little finesse.
Kettwiesel - sounds like fun, the Anura from Greenspeed rides well and has the diff. fitted as standard, again, a little agricultural in appearance. I am not convinced that they are a serious touring set up when linked, my wife and I would not be using them separately and it seems silly to ride with two full transmissions, and luggage carrying is an issue.
Pino - great bike, very comfortable for the stoker and good communication. I have my doubts from a personal comfort stand point. I gave up riding DF through neck pain and I am not sure I want to go back. We have test ridden at JD Cycles, super service and a lovely area for a test ride. We may well go back to try again with a more upright position for me.

Cunobelin, try telling the stoker she has to face to the rear!

hercule

Postby hercule » 4 Dec 2011, 6:37pm

We've ridden with Kettwiesels in tandem - it works very well, though it's a bit harder to speak to your stoker than on a conventional upright tandem. Load carrying is not IMHO the best feature of the Kett but tow a Y-Frame Large trailer behind you (same wheel size and nearly identical axle width) and you have a multiarticulated vehicle that can turn in a country road's width. If you aren't going to be riding them solo then it's a very expensive way to get a recumbent tandem trike. On the other hand it's easily separated into two for travelling, two Ketts take up less room than a conventional tandem (you can park them on their tails), it's extremely manouverable (not quite as manouverable as in solo mode, but much better than our upright tandem) and we never had the argument about one rider pedalling too fast for the other... I speak in the past tense as we no longer have two for reasons that have nothing to do with the Kett.

The Janus is made by Altena in the Netherlands - there was a rider review of one a few issues back. I think they are made to order. The same company also makes the more conventional "Double Dutch" recumbent tandem, but I think the stoker's crank position may be a problem as with other machines.

Steintrikes in Slovakia also make a tandem trike, the Magnum