osprey recumbent

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
galavanter

osprey recumbent

Post by galavanter »

have any of the Bents fraternity ever heard of this make Osprey as there is one on Ebay at £420 and looks reasonable I have tried looking but cant find any company with a website it looks like its made for one size only
[XAP]Bob

Re: osprey recumbent

Post by [XAP]Bob »

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FAST-WELL-BUI ... 0922091027

Looks like a limited range of sizes at best.
The seat may well move to some extent though...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

[XAP]Bob wrote:Looks like a limited range of sizes at best.
Wot Bob says: very odd.
Personally I wouldn't touch it with a bargepole as selling it on if you didn't like it would be restricted to someone it fits :roll:
"42"
hercule

Post by hercule »

There's definitely a couple of allen bolts visible under the boom suggesting it has an adjustable boom like nearly every other recumbent, so I don't think the pedal reach should be an issue - seat height might be, but so is the case with other bikes. And there seems similar adjustment of the seat angle, though judging by the length of the tube from seatstays to seat back the adjustment is going to be fairly limited.

It looks very like one of the TW Bents models, sold in various places as Performer or Actionbent... not heard the Osprey brand but it's probably the same under the badge. TW Bents bikes get reasonably positive reviews as basic recumbents, probably heavier than bigger names, and low range components. Probably OK as a taster for recumbents. £420? You could spend less for something ligher: my Pashley PDQ, whilst far from cutting edge, cost me £350 last year in very good condition and is no heavier than a touring bike - and has the excellent SRAM 3x7 hybrid gearing ensuring that you don't unexpectedly get caught in too high a gear. You would have to wait for one to come along, though.

I do think the comparison with an HP Velotechnik Street Machine reflects poorly on the seller, though. Similar design? Only in as much as a chainstore "racing bike" is a similar design to a Colnago! If you based your buying decision on a review of a Street Machine I think you would be sorely disappointed!
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

hercule wrote:There's definitely a couple of allen bolts visible under the boom suggesting it has an adjustable boom like nearly every other recumbent, so I don't think the pedal reach should be an issue...

Ahh, well spotted :oops:
I agree with your comments re: comparison with SMGT though: I suppose they are both 26 / 20 USS bents, but there the similarity ends, IMHO :roll:
Your probably right with the Actionbent / Performer / TWBents source - I couldn't find anything on-line either. Maybe the OP could ask the seller where he got it? (There has been the odd outfit selling Taiwanese produced bents on flea-bay.)
"42"