E bikes ??Pulling power

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
tonythompson

E bikes ??Pulling power

Post by tonythompson »

If you think this is about connecting with women - sorry wrong forum :D

Thinking of trying to do without a car but need to carry tools etc at times. Too many for regular pedalling but just wondered if anyone has experience with an E bike pulling a trailer.
Crossed Oz Perth to Adelaide to highlight Barrett's Disease http://www.tonystravels.com
[XAP]Bob

Re: E bikes ??Pulling power

Post by [XAP]Bob »

One of the ice trikes who comes to Draycote ha
s a rear hub motor - makes it much easier to get uphill with a trailer, no idea of range though...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
byegad

Post by byegad »

A couple I know fitted some motors to their ICE Trikes, either one can tow me, no light weight and my trike up hill. However working them like that is not going to give you much range! All I can suggest is you try one and see, hiring an eBike should be possible somewhere near you. Then budget for more than one big battery if you need to.
"I thought of that while riding my bike." -Albert Einstein, on the Theory of Relativity

2007 ICE QNT
2008 Hase Kettwiesel AL27
2011 Catrike Trail
1951 engine
hungrydave

E bikes ??Pulling power

Post by hungrydave »

Not the most helpful answer but most Swiss cities hire them out for free for a couple of hours...
andyh2

Post by andyh2 »

The crank drive e-bikes can make very good towing vehicles as the assist goes through the gears giving excellent hill climbing and / or load carrying / towing capacity.

Here's an example;
http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/flecc/trailers.html
snibgo

Post by snibgo »

I have no experience of e-bikes, but some with a trailer. Pulling a trailer at a constant slow speed on the flat needs very little extra power, as the only extra resistance is from the rolling resistance of the trailer wheel(s). For higher speeds, a narrow streamlined trailer would be better than my box-shaped trailer.

The real difference comes on hills. If a trailer plus contents doubles my total weight, I need twice the energy to get up a hill. To do it at the same speed as unloaded, I need twice the power. If I normally pedal at 100 Watts, an electric motor of 200W will triple my available power.
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

The technology is coming along in leaps and bounds and I am sure it will do what you want. Talk to James at LEV
http://www.electricbikehire.co.uk/02-ab ... cycles.php
If it can be done he will have done it for a Customer
NUKe

Post by CW »

Here is an alternative. The trailer that powers the bike at http://www.ridekick.com/products
A bit to powerful to be legal here 500w, but shows a powered bike and trailer can work
Chris
snibgo

Post by snibgo »

"Ride 8-12 miles on a full charge" -- doesn't look promising.

What are the UK laws on powered trailers?
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

snibgo wrote:"Ride 8-12 miles on a full charge" -- doesn't look promising.

What are the UK laws on powered trailers?

Last time I asked that I was told that they became part of the bike on attachment. Although I imagine the additional wheels allow you to use trike power limits...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
andyh2

Post by andyh2 »

You'd be OK using trike power limits anyway. I don't think there's any difference in power limits for bicycles or trikes under the EU regs which should have been incorporated into UK law some years ago.

Most manufacturers use the EU regs rather than old UK regs anyway.
Simple summary is;
250W continuous power rating for motor -the peak output will be considerably higher.
25kmh max assist speed -you can pedal the bike as fast as you like, but the assistance should stop at 25kmh.
With a pedelec sensor -ie motor should only operate when pedals are turning.
tonythompson

Post by tonythompson »

Thanks guys given me plenty to think about.
Tony
Crossed Oz Perth to Adelaide to highlight Barrett's Disease http://www.tonystravels.com
byegad

Post by byegad »

tonythompson wrote:Thanks guys given me plenty to think about.
Tony

Do let us know how you get on. Good luck.
"I thought of that while riding my bike." -Albert Einstein, on the Theory of Relativity

2007 ICE QNT
2008 Hase Kettwiesel AL27
2011 Catrike Trail
1951 engine
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

snibgo wrote:Pulling a trailer at a constant slow speed on the flat needs very little extra power, as the only extra resistance is from the rolling resistance of the trailer wheel(s). For higher speeds, a narrow streamlined trailer would be better than my box-shaped trailer.

The real difference comes on hills. If a trailer plus contents doubles my total weight, I need twice the energy to get up a hill. To do it at the same speed as unloaded, I need twice the power. If I normally pedal at 100 Watts, an electric motor of 200W will triple my available power.
My alu box on my CF trailer has often raised comments.

Many of the comments suggest I have a power unit in it. :shock:

The real trick with towing a trailer, is to use the weight to an advantage. Get a move on when you can, but when it gets tough climbing a hill, don't rush at it and use the momentum of the weight to carry you up. It's after the momentum has gone that the problems come. Just take your time. On the flat, and on downhills, trailers are as fast as an unloaded bike.

If the electric power in the trailer could be as lightweight and as small as possible, it would be a useful thing, as the trailer could be used for loads too.
Mick F. Cornwall
Phil_Lee

Post by Phil_Lee »

andyh2 wrote:You'd be OK using trike power limits anyway. I don't think there's any difference in power limits for bicycles or trikes under the EU regs which should have been incorporated into UK law some years ago.

Most manufacturers use the EU regs rather than old UK regs anyway.
Simple summary is;
250W continuous power rating for motor -the peak output will be considerably higher.
25kmh max assist speed -you can pedal the bike as fast as you like, but the assistance should stop at 25kmh.
With a pedelec sensor -ie motor should only operate when pedals are turning.

THe problem with that is that it hasn't been incorporated in UK law yet, so you need to meet C&U regs, register it, tax it, wear a motorcycle helmet, have motor insurance for it. . .
Seems like a lot of hassle for 50w.