The biggest/oddest load you've carried by cycle?

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
Dan Joyce

The biggest/oddest load you've carried by cycle?

Post by Dan Joyce »

In the next issue of Cycle, there will be an article on cargo cycles. I'd like to include a sidebar about big or odd loads that CTC members have carried by cycle. Any cycle - if you pedalled it, it counts. Either post your experiences here or email a couple of sentences to editor@ctc.org.uk no later than 30 April, using the heading 'loads better'. Please accept my apologies in advance that I'll only acknowledge emails, not go into detailed discussion about them.

I'll kick things off. I once carried a five-foot long sideboard strapped to a cycle trailer. When I went to pick it up, the lady who was selling it said: 'Will you be able to get it home? It won't fit in the back of a car.' I told her not to worry, as I hadn't come by car...
Elizabethsdad

Re: The biggest/oddest load you've carried by cycle?

Post by Elizabethsdad »

I once moved all my worldy possesions from where I was lodging to a house I was renting by bike and trailer - took thre or four trips as I recall and the biggest item was a large flight case style trunk - about 4' x2' x 2'. I also used the same trailer to take a sound system to a party. More recently I adapted my CF small Y frame so that I could carry a bicycle on it to take it to the bike shop.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Just my old bike - must have looked a right sight on the commute
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
alicej

Post by alicej »

I've recently moved a table, a cupboard and a bookcase on my new CF trailer - not all at once though.
3tyretrackterry

Post by 3tyretrackterry »

whilst out on my trike
i came across 4 2kg weights 2 dumbell bars and a 6ft weight lifting bar left out for the scrapman.
i asked the homeowner if i could have them (she said yes)and i then cycled off with them.
i cycled home looking like i was going jousting
Ian
hercule

Post by hercule »

I regularly ride my Kettwiesel with a wheelie bin (on its side) strapped to my Y-Frame trailer. When I reach my plot it sits up normally and I fill it up with garden refuse, carry it back home for the compost heap...
Snowflake

Post by Snowflake »

Not huge, but unusual..........

I invested in Kona Ute last year as the 'Trombone and cat food' bike.........

https://picasaweb.google.com/isquib/Kon ... directlink

The picture shows the trombone on the back, all mutes, music stands and trombone stand in the panniers with plenty of space for a Tux for gigs.

I can also get loads of Hills cat food in the panniers when pets at home have an offer on.

I'm ruminating on a way to get sousaphone to sit on the rack :-)

Ta

S
EnquiringMind

Post by EnquiringMind »

There are some examples on my blog (fridge? 70+kg of lumber?) if you're interested in using any of that, feel free :)
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Vietnamese Touring Bike by Alyrpal, on Flickr

In the museum in Saigon

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Nettled Shin

Post by Nettled Shin »

al_yrpal wrote:Image
Vietnamese Touring Bike by Alyrpal, on Flickr

In the museum in Saigon

Al

Hold on a minute. How do the rider's legs get to the pedals?
drossall

Post by drossall »

Probably my personal favourite, though nothing to do with me. Someone else pointed it out once.
drossall

Post by drossall »

Also someone once highlighted this video.
jayjay

Post by jayjay »

I've posted this before I think, a dead bicycle and about 35kg of cement and sand on the Carry Freedom Y.
I've also carried a greenhouse (dismantled!) including the glass. 2x2 panes will fit on the CFY Large.

To the tip! by thermalsoareruk, on Flickr
Built f' comfort.
dkmwt

Post by dkmwt »

The ladder I was returning to a mate that lives about half a mile away on my side of Plymouth after borrowing it. This was at the time of fire brigade cuts and one of my neighbours made the comment "I've heard the fire brigade are making cuts but that's a bit much"
ladder.JPG
ladder.JPG (11.25 KiB) Viewed 80276 times
The bike belonged to another mates brother-in-law that got left behind one day. To return this I had to go right through the middle of Plymouth, I sure got some strange looks
DSCF0097.JPG
DSCF0097.JPG (9.6 KiB) Viewed 80276 times
Cheers, Donald
Trice "Qnt 26" 26/39/55 F 10sp 11/36 R, now with Windwrap fairing.
ICE B1 34/50 F Capreo 9/32 R.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dkmwt/78674512/
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1188814973
Joe.B

Post by Joe.B »

dkmwt wrote:The ladder I was returning to a mate that lives about half a mile away on my side of Plymouth after borrowing it. This was at the time of fire brigade cuts and one of my neighbours made the comment "I've heard the fire brigade are making cuts but that's a bit much"
ladder.JPG
The bike belonged to another mates brother-in-law that got left behind one day. To return this I had to go right through the middle of Plymouth, I sure got some strange looks
DSCF0097.JPG

I bet it was slow going up those Plymouth hills :D