Electric ICE

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
Joe.B

Electric ICE

Post by Joe.B »

I thought that I might post a few word about the Heinsmann e-bike kit we have just had fitted to my wife’s ICE sprint.
The Missus decided that an e-bike conversion for the trike would be the way forward a few months after we moved to Plymouth. Where we used to live (Gosport), she would use the trike very frequently for all kinds of things, family rides, fitness rides with friends and good old utility cycling & everyday transport. Since moving to Plymouth though her use of the trike has sharply diminished as the lumpy terrain of Devon and Cornwall is more than her asthma can deal with.
So, after several weeks of reaching e-bike kits via the internet, Velovision and conversations with Neil at ICE we decided to go for the Heinsmann. Why; well because of its brut pulling power and proven reliability. The Heinsmann motor is a rear wheel motor but unlike most in-wheel motors it is brushed and geared. While this makes the motor noisier than many others it also means it develops much greater torque. As this kit was being purchased specifically for the West Country where you either going up or down, seldom riding on the flat, a high torque motor that would not get bogged down up hill, (often with a trailer in tow) was essential.
A motor fitted somewhere on the chain, driving the trike through its own gears would also have been suitable in terms of torque but it would not have met our other requirements. We wanted the system to be desecrate and we wanted to be able to easily convert the trike back to standard ‘human power’ with little fuss.

So what’s the system like so far? Well going up the local hills it does exactly what we wanted. I went out on it the other day to collect our little lad from the child-minders, only a short 2.5 mile round trip but involving a drop from 60m down to sea level and then a climb back up to 60m, and then the same on the return. Through most of the climbs the motor keeps the trike moving at about 11.5mph, (with me pedalling too). Only on the very steepest climbs with the little guy in the trailer did the speed drop, but only to 10mph.
The top speed of the motor is only 11.5mph, this is because it is simply not designed for 20” wheels. In a 26” wheel top speed would be about 15mph. As we bought the system for a part of the UK were you are either going up or down this is not a real problem. Heinsmann do make a high speed version of this kit but that would see the speed rise to about 19mph and would lose hill climbing torque. And be non-road legal.

I’m not too happy with the gearing, using this motor means the trikes 9-32 9 speed cassette has been swapped for a 7 speed freewheel, currently a 14-34. So while we still have good low gears we run out of high gears at about 15mph. The best alternative freewheel only gives a 13 tooth top, better but not by much.
I think we will see how we get on with the current gearing but if we do decide we need more a Schlumpf HSD might be the best option.

Range seem ok so far but I’ll develop a better opinion with time. Up to now the longest ride the systems been on was 36 miles in the New Forest, which it did without running out of juice. I did run out on a 27 mile ride but it was being used more heavily and I suspect the battery was not fully charged.

Changing the trike back to conventional mode is a simple matter of removing the battery and controller and then swapping back to the original wheel. The only difference is that the original wheel is now 8 speed as the original 9 speed bar-end were swapped for 8 speed ones so as to index correctly with the motorhubs freewheel.

We had the conversion done by Chris at the Electric Transport Shop in Bristol. We were recommended these guys by Neil at ICE. ICE are developing an e-bike kit themselves but don’t yet consider it ready for sale as they are working to resolve some issues with their chosen motor.

http://www.heinzmann.com/en/electric-an ... c-vehicles
http://www.schlumpf.ch/hp/hsd/hsd_engl.htm

http://www.electricbikesales.co.uk/
Attachments
2012-05-12 09.44.19a.jpg
2012-05-12 09.44.54a.jpg
2012-05-12 09.45.23a.jpg
squeaker

Re: Electric ICE

Post by squeaker »

Joe.B wrote:I’m not too happy with the gearing, using this motor means the trikes 9-32 9 speed cassette has been swapped for a 7 speed freewheel, currently a 14-34. So while we still have good low gears we run out of high gears at about 15mph. The best alternative freewheel only gives a 13 tooth top, better but not by much.
Thanks for the report: very interesting:)
As for gearing, SRAM do a 12-32 which gives a 15" low (assuming 26T chainring): do you need lower with motor assist? A 52T on the front would also help?

Oops: just realised you said 'freewheel': ignore the cassette link.... :oops:
"42"
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

Looking at the Heinzmann site I see they do a (heavier) direct drive motor that does take cassettes. It's a bit difficult to compare torque curves with their classic motor (i.e. I can't find any :oops: is the torque independent of speed?) but I'd be interested to know more about your choice - presumably Bionx was also considered?
Cheers!
"42"
byegad

Post by byegad »

How about fitting a bigger outer ring up front? My QNT runs 24 40 55 and would easily do 30 46 58. This could then quickly be changed back when you want it to be de-electrified.
"I thought of that while riding my bike." -Albert Einstein, on the Theory of Relativity

2007 ICE QNT
2008 Hase Kettwiesel AL27
2011 Catrike Trail
1951 engine
Joe.B

Post by Joe.B »

After examining a number of motors the Heinsmann and Boinx were the clear favourites. The guys at the Electric Transport Shop recommended the Heinsmann saying that while the Bonix is a great system it does suffer with reliability issues.

Yes, a bigger big ring would do the trick, I’m interested that you have a 55 tooth as the largest I’d see online so far was 52 tooth road chainset. I was not keen on going down this route as it meant spending a lot of money for only a small increase in top gear.
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

Joe.B wrote:After examining a number of motors the Heinsmann and Boinx were the clear favourites. The guys at the Electric Transport Shop recommended the Heinsmann saying that while the Bonix is a great system it does suffer with reliability issues.
Useful :o

Joe.B wrote:Yes, a bigger big ring would do the trick, I’m interested that you have a 55 tooth as the largest I’d see online so far was 52 tooth road chainset. I was not keen on going down this route as it meant spending a lot of money for only a small increase in top gear.
I used to run a Mistral with a 39 / 60T double: not the slickest change, but it worked :lol:
"42"
byegad

Post by byegad »

Try Spa Cycles. They do several larger rings and usually in two qualities/prices. I buy the better one for longevity but you could go for the cheaper one at reasonable cost.
"I thought of that while riding my bike." -Albert Einstein, on the Theory of Relativity

2007 ICE QNT
2008 Hase Kettwiesel AL27
2011 Catrike Trail
1951 engine
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

I am (or rather my wife is0 eagerly awaiting the delivery of our new Gekko with Bionx.

I got fed up with her nicking mine!

I have a Rohloff with the Schlumpf HSD on my Gekko. Effectively a 34/85 on the front. It works well and gives me a wide enough rang for all I need. A slightly lower bottom gear is excluded by the torque limitations on the Rohloff.

Which brings us back to pedal assist. There have been reported issues with the combination of the Bionx and HSD. Apparently the torque readings and the interaction with the motor are not always correct as the gearing is reduced within the bottom bracket. This may be the same with any pedal assist system, so you need to research this before going down this route.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Is the reaction arm bolted (with an extension) to the mudguard eye?
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Joe.B

Post by Joe.B »

I’ve just been on Spa’s site and seen some of the big chain rings on offer, might be worth looking into.
If we do go for a schlumpf I’ll have to make sure it’s compatible with the motor. We’ve got the simple throttle control not pedlec so I think it will be ok.
Yes, I think the torque arm is bolted to the mudguard eye, I can’t check it out right now as I’m working away for a few weeks.

We were out on a 38 mile tandem club ride near Taunton yesterday and the motor worked terrifically, plenty of battery remaining at the finish too. The only niggle was running out of gears on the descents.

I’m in Gosport for the next three weeks so I’ll keep my eyes peeled for Mrs Cunobelin’s electric Gekko
dkmwt

Post by dkmwt »

@ Joe.B I'll have to remember not to chase another trike up any hills in Plymouth that seem to be going a bit quick.
Where abouts in Plymouth are you? I ride my "S" from Mount Gould to Ernesettle and back every day to work.
Cheers, Donald
Trice "Qnt 26" 26/39/55 F 10sp 11/36 R, now with Windwrap fairing.
ICE B1 34/50 F Capreo 9/32 R.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dkmwt/78674512/
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1188814973
Joe.B

Post by Joe.B »

dkmwt wrote:@ Joe.B I'll have to remember not to chase another trike up any hills in Plymouth that seem to be going a bit quick.
Where abouts in Plymouth are you? I ride my "S" from Mount Gould to Ernesettle and back every day to work.

I'm in Plymstock.

I normally ride from there to the dockyard every morning (on an upwrong) but I’m away at the mo. The wife’s new job is in your neck of the woods but I can’t see her pedalling very often, too many kids to dispatch on route. I’ve only ever come across one other recumbent in Plymouth, that was the guy who makes the Ocean Velomobiles, I met him on the Torpoint ferry.

I used to see a few bents around when we lived in Gosport, if I was going into work early enough, (which wasn't very often) I’d sometimes spot Cunobelin on a trike.