Cotswold Outing on a Trike?

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
rank_amateur

Cotswold Outing on a Trike?

Post by rank_amateur »

Hi all,
I've entered my first ever audax and it's this weekend - the 'Cotswold Outing - Anticlockwise 107km'. I can't quite make up my mind whether to do it on my trike (ICE Sprint 26) or on my upright road bike. I much prefer the trike for long distances but I've only had it a few months and don't average anywhere near the speed I do on the road bike. I know an audax isn't a race but if it's a very hilly I'll be miles behind everyone else and riding on my own - that seems to be missing the point.
I've triked the route of the North Birmingham audax a few times so I know I can do that kind of distance on that terrain. Has anyone done the Cotswold on a trike? Good? Bad? Indifferent?
Cheers.
Si

Re: Cotswold Outing on a Trike?

Post by Si »

Not done it on a trike, only on a folding bike, but from what I can remember I would say you shouldn't have too much trouble. Hilly in the middle but flat at the ends when I did it. In fact I found Shenstone harder despite it probably having less climbing altogether.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

I did an audax on my trike last year, there will be slower people around. Just have your routesheet with you, and a pencil.

On a trike you'll need/taking fewer/shorter breaks due to the comfort.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

[quote="rank_amateur"I know an audax isn't a race but if it's a very hilly I'll be miles behind everyone else and riding on my own - that seems to be missing the point. [/quote]
Did the Mid-Sussex Hilly (100km, AA 1.5) a few years ago on my Trice 'T'. No problem with time (there were cakes left at the end), but IME riding any recumbent with DFs can truncate conversations: just lay back and enjoy the scenery rather than the tarmac in front of you 8) , and say hello to your fellow travellers from time to time ;)
"42"
rank_amateur

Post by rank_amateur »

Thanks all. Sounds good, the trike it is then. I'll pack my pencil, a big smile and my fig rolls and get stuck in. And I certainly do plan to enjoy the scenery - one of the most noticeable benefits of the trike.

Cheers.
3tyretrackterry

Post by 3tyretrackterry »

i did about a tenth of an audax on a trike last year before frame failure but the small distance i did i enjoyed. The slower riders XAPBob refers to is me i am a lot slower on my trike than my bike but i would always choose trike over bike on a long distance.
i believe with audax the major thing is average speed and as llong as you can pick up extra average on the downhills then that can help on the slower sections
HTH
Ian
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

3tyretrackterry wrote:i did about a tenth of an audax on a trike last year before frame failure but the small distance i did i enjoyed. The slower riders XAPBob refers to is me i am a lot slower on my trike than my bike but i would always choose trike over bike on a long distance.
i believe with audax the major thing is average speed and as llong as you can pick up extra average on the downhills then that can help on the slower sections
HTH
Ian

You weren't the slower rider I was referring to actually - I ended up about mid field at the end. The number and duration of stops is relevant. On a trike you don't need to rest and stretch out, you can just plod on.

Tortoise, meet hare (she's just finished :) )

PS - I am coming to realise that I'm actually fairly rapid, it was certainly fun freewheeling past people pedalling furiously on their carbon confection whith full mudguards, suspension, rack, dynamo lights...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
3tyretrackterry

Thanks for that Bob
I still need to finish that audax if you are up for it also is there any audaxs or long rides near you I am sure i could get over to your neck of the woods and you could show me around.
Ian
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

3tyretrackterry wrote:Thanks for that Bob
I still need to finish that audax if you are up for it also is there any audaxs or long rides near you I am sure i could get over to your neck of the woods and you could show me around.
Ian

At the moment I'm kind of busy refitting the church.
I tend to do "random night" rides at the moment. When the church building is up and running I'll probably restart.

I pick a direction, and after the kids are in bed I go that way, then I decide on a "left" or "right" loop, and kind of see where I end up...
3tyretrackterry

ok no problems let us know if you want a riding partner
MuirSR

Post by MuirSR »

[XAP]Bob wrote:I pick a direction, and after the kids are in bed I go that way, then I decide on a "left" or "right" loop, and kind of see where I end up...

Faithless one! I had you down as a good churchman. Know ye not the Lord's admonishment:

Ye shall observe to do therefore as the LORD your God hath commanded you: ye shall not turn aside to the right hand or to the left.

Repent! Repent of this wickedness!
Stephen
Reading's Cycling Development Officer wrote:...become a TV presenter ... that is what I would like to do [source]
rank_amateur

Post by rank_amateur »

Well I did it. My 1st Audax is in the bag. And it was done on the Sprint. And it was bloody good fun too. Out from the HQ, the first 30 odd kms are lovely rolling terrain with, I suspect, a gradual downhill. I was flying along. After that things get a bit stiffer and a biblical rainstorm at 65kms was no laughing matter but the sun came out after and the Sprint worked flawlessly.
Only disappointment was forgetting to start my GPS watch to track my heart rate, average speed, top speed, altitudes and all the rest. All that effort now lost forever....
I'll do it again next year and a few more events this summer I hope. All on the trike.
Cheers.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

:mrgreen: :P :lol: :D
rank_amateur

Post by rank_amateur »

Another one in the bag :D Did the Solihull CC 'Warwickshire Wander' 111km last Sunday. Great course again, great fun on the trike, no rain and plenty of friendly faces. No other recumbents but, like on the audax the week before, I met someone who had a trike but wasn't riding it on the day!!!! I can't understand why that would be but next time I'll think to ask.
Now Looking forward to the Cheshire Plains 110k, on the 15th, and signed up for 2 more local ones in September. At just a few quid a pop, this could get addictive.
Cheers.