Cold blasts of air going up the sleeves...

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
[XAP]Bob

Cold blasts of air going up the sleeves...

Post by [XAP]Bob »

I used a couple of short sections of a tubagrip today - brilliant - hold my long sleeved t shirt sleeves shut, and go down into the top of my gloves. My arms are certainly warmer, and I get fewer blasts of cold air up and around my chest.

I might have to stop wearing the inner T shirt though :mrgreen:

Currently a few degrees either side of zero:
- Full length tights (socks over, shorts under)
- Short sleeved t shirt under long sleeved t shirt
- Wind resistant gilet
- Altura Night Vision gloves

With the tubagrip I will probably leave the short sleeved shirt at home
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
byegad

Re: Cold blasts of air going up the sleeves...

Post by byegad »

What a hardy type you are! I'd be frozen to death in just that.
"I thought of that while riding my bike." -Albert Einstein, on the Theory of Relativity

2007 ICE QNT
2008 Hase Kettwiesel AL27
2011 Catrike Trail
1951 engine
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

I should also add that I wear a buff and hat as well - else my ears get perishingly cold!

Nowhere near my polar buff yet though.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Alex L

Post by Alex L »

What is tubagrip? Just bandages? I wear similar to you apart from my "full length" tights only go down to halfway on my calfs so I wear waterproof trousers too (helps with the mud). I thought the cold up my arms was because I use a runners hi viz waterproof jacket, not a cyclists one. My black one doesn't give me the same problem.

Edit: Should mention I'm on an upright though so it's not so bad ;)
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

spelt tubigrip apparently

It's basically a tubular bandage - so about the bottom 4" of a set of armwarmers - but without the cost ;)

My arms are pointing forwards, not down - so any open cuffs cause my top to inflate :)
Alex L

Post by Alex L »

[XAP]Bob wrote:spelt tubigrip apparently

It's basically a tubular bandage - so about the bottom 4" of a set of armwarmers - but without the cost ;)

My arms are pointing forwards, not down - so any open cuffs cause my top to inflate :)

Aye, saw the Non-standard part after :oops: To be fair, it usually happens then I'm on bar extenders.
Geriatrix

Post by Geriatrix »

I don't have the sleeve problem with a tiller bar because my wrists face up but if I don't use trouser clips I turn into a mobile windsock. That's a problem I have with baggy shorts as well except you can't use trouser clips with them.

That's probably the main disadvantage I find with recumbents. Finding 3/4 shorts with decent velcro leg adjustments, zippered pockets (and enough of them) and with belt hoops for the waist.
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled - Richard Feynman
Tigerbiten

Post by Tigerbiten »

I don't have that problem as I'm still in sleeveless tops ...... :D
Normal wear in this weather is :- Sandals, long socks, long shorts, vest, Gilet, glove and baseball cap.
If it get really cold I'll put a sleeveless fleece on under my gilet and windproof socks/overshoes.

With only one arm and on a recumbent, it's a fine balance between freezing going down down hill at over 30 mph and cooking go uphill at sub 5 mph.
If I overheat, I sweat to badly and then freeze because I'm so damp ...... :(
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

I shed hat and buff at the middle of my commute, but then I can do that one handed...
BlackPanther

Post by BlackPanther »

It's on these über cold days that I envy those lucky velomobile owners.......even more than usual!
The photobucket images don't work !!!