Recumbent visibility

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
Geriatrix

Recumbent visibility

Post by Geriatrix »

I had an incident this morning that is still bothering me.

At about 10.30 this morning I was stopped by a motorist who had just passed me. He claimed to be a cyclist himself and said that he only spotted me shortly before overtaking me & there was problems with my visibility. He suggested I invest in flashing lights to improve my visibility. I already have a Busch & Muller Toplight Flat Plus Rear Dynamo Light which is permanently on and has been commented by fellow FNRttC cyclists as producing good light.

Here is a link to a clip http://youtu.be/hpxLrmFhw3s showing his pass (which was OK). I cut the video before the drivers features became visible to preserve his anonymity. At no point was our conversation acrimonious.

I can't see anything in my positioning that would suggest I was making myself less visible but you judge.
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled - Richard Feynman
[XAP]Bob

Re: Recumbent visibility

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Might have held.slightly more primary through the buses, but if you say the distance was fine than that's not an issue...

Maybe motoristw should open the fleshy coverings over their protoplasmic optical scanners...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Geriatrix

Post by Geriatrix »

[XAP]Bob wrote:Might have held.slightly more primary through the buses, but if you say the distance was fine than that's not an issue...

I'm slightly suspicious that he saw the camera and may have bailed on a polemic. I held primary passed the parked cars and he may have been irritated at being held up.
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled - Richard Feynman
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Possible. Your positioning was OK - particularly if he had been behind you along the stretch with parked cars.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
byegad

Post by byegad »

Sounds like a version of 'that looks dangerous down there' trotted out all too frequently by non-cyclists and DF riders on first talking to a 'bent rider, whereas regular recumbent riders know we get a lot more room and consideration 'down there' than that routinely afforded to a DF rider.

After all DF riders have specially designed helmets which to save them from harm if they topple over and bang their head on a kerb! Recumbent riders don;t need them. Stands back and waits for a bite! :D
"I thought of that while riding my bike." -Albert Einstein, on the Theory of Relativity

2007 ICE QNT
2008 Hase Kettwiesel AL27
2011 Catrike Trail
1951 engine
forlorn hope

Post by forlorn hope »

If you ever stay on the Chaldon road and drop down into Redhill give me a shout if you want a fellow trike rider to join you. :)
Trice S 700cc
Optima baron
Geriatrix

Post by Geriatrix »

forlorn hope wrote:If you ever stay on the Chaldon road and drop down into Redhill give me a shout if you want a fellow trike rider to join you. :)

Will do (though my bent is 2 wheel) - I thought I was the only recumbent in the vicinity.
BlackPanther

Post by BlackPanther »

Geriatrix wrote:I had an incident this morning that is still bothering me.

At about 10.30 this morning I was stopped by a motorist who had just passed me. He claimed to be a cyclist himself and said that he only spotted me shortly before overtaking me & there was problems with my visibility. He suggested I invest in flashing lights to improve my visibility. I already have a Busch & Muller Toplight Flat Plus Rear Dynamo Light which is permanently on and has been commented by fellow FNRttC cyclists as producing good light.

Here is a link to a clip http://youtu.be/hpxLrmFhw3s showing his pass (which was OK). I cut the video before the drivers features became visible to preserve his anonymity. At no point was our conversation acrimonious.

I can't see anything in my positioning that would suggest I was making myself less visible but you judge.

Very strange considering I've always been given a much wider berth whilst on the 'bents. I'm curious as to how he initiated the conversation....did he physically step in front and stop you? My response would've been to say that it's not the cyclists legal responsibility to ride with lights in the daytime (though I do) but it is a legal requirement for motorists to pay attention to whats on the road in front of them! If he can't see a recumbent, what chance does he have of seeing a common regular bicycle? I'd suspect that he was distracted either by a phone/radio tuning etc etc, and just didn't see you until the last second, which he then blamed on you being on a low bike. Outrageous attitude form the Volvo driver....what a pratt! And I wouldn't hide his face.....if he did actually stop you, he doesn't deserve to be kept anonymous. You were filming in a public place, he chose to highlight his idiotic self.
The photobucket images don't work !!!
Tigerbiten

Post by Tigerbiten »

It only counts when you get stopped by the police.

I'm up to two ............. :twisted:
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

Geriatrix wrote:I'm slightly suspicious that he saw the camera and may have bailed on a polemic. I held primary passed the parked cars and he may have been irritated at being held up.
His overtake by the buses was a bit risky wrt oncoming cars or passengers coming off the buses, so I'm with you regarding 'polemic'.
"42"
Geriatrix

Post by Geriatrix »

squeaker wrote:His overtake by the buses was a bit risky wrt oncoming cars or passengers coming off the buses, so I'm with you regarding 'polemic'.

I think there is three possible explanations.
1. He is a genuinely concerned cyclist offering advice.
2. He stopped to deliver a polemic but changed tack when he saw the camera.
3. He spotted the camera after the slightly dodgy pass and his actions were a quickly thought out cover for the pass.

I wasn't concerned about the pass, I have spent many hours on an upright so I'm conditioned to much worse but it does look a bit dodgy in review.

I'm going to ride the same route and get a friend to video me from a car to get a drivers perspective. Option 1 is still bothering me because I wasn't exactly a ninja cyclist. This was daylight with good lights on display, front and back.
Geriatrix

Post by Geriatrix »

BlackPanther wrote:Very strange considering I've always been given a much wider berth whilst on the 'bents. I'm curious as to how he initiated the conversation....did he physically step in front and stop you? My response would've been to say that it's not the cyclists legal responsibility to ride with lights in the daytime (though I do) but it is a legal requirement for motorists to pay attention to whats on the road in front of them!

He stepped out in front but his demeanour wasn't aggressive. He continued to stress that he was a cyclist himself and he was offering advice as a cyclist. My own response was neutral (I think) but not really appreciative of the advice. I was wrong footed and somewhat baffled. I still am (the acronym astonishing comes to mind).

I agree with all your points but its a concern because in my experience when a drivers viewpoint is pitted against that of a cyclist its the driver who will generally win public opinion, especially if he can claim to be a cyclist himself.
PaulCumbria

Post by PaulCumbria »

A fourth possibility is that he was simply looking for an excuse for a chat with you. I've had all sorts of daft conversation-openers when riding a recumbent - people (cyclists or not) are genuinely curious, and engaging you in conversation is the best way for them to have a closer look and find out more. The idea that he couldn't see you in broad daylight, with good lights and good road positioning - it's the only one of the four options that should cause you concern - just doesn't make any sense at all.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Tigerbiten wrote:It only counts when you get stopped by the police.

I'm up to two ............. :twisted:

I was stopped by a Police Officer on the trike about my lighting...........

He was so impressed he wanted to buy a set for his commuting bike!
Geriatrix

Post by Geriatrix »

PaulCumbria wrote:A fourth possibility is that he was simply looking for an excuse for a chat with you.

That's possible. I was so surprised that my response never offered any opening for a social chat.