Electric conversion kits

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
Janelle

Electric conversion kits

Post by Janelle »

I have a few disabilities and ride a crank forward Devinci Lifestyle which I love. I would sometimes like a bit of electric assist to help me uphill when towing a trailer. Can anyone suggest a suitable conversion kit which might do the job safely?
I have used upright e bikes in the past which had appropriate braking systems, are my brakes likely to be adequate? I don't want to return to a standard upright bike as this one is SO comfortable and I can out my feet down easily any thanks for any thoughts.
[XAP]Bob

Re: Electric conversion kits

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Brakes will still be sufficient, and Id have thought that most 'non front wheel drive' kits would work.

ICE are showing a demo e trike soon...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Geriatrix

Post by Geriatrix »

The electric conversion options are as follows:
a. Pedelec: this compliments your own pedal power to various assistance levels (my preferred option).
b. Throttle assist. This works like a motorbike and the motor can move the bike without assistance from the rider. Currently still legal in the UK (I think) but this may change if the UK adopts the German/Dutch standards.

The different motor configurations are as follows:

1. Front hub motor. This is the easiest conversion and works well as a throttle assist. Since there is no direct connection with the human drive chain you don't need to make any changes to it. some sort of torque sensor is needed if you want this configuration to operate as a pedelec. You also lose the ability to use a front dynohub.
2. Rear hub motor. On your configuration this would have the big disadvantage of displacing you DaVinci hubgears so it would be an expensive option.
3. Bottom bracket motor. There is one good but quite pricey option for this but it would work very well with recumbents, that is the Sunstar S03. This is a Japanese product so its high quality, has a variety of battery options and no changes need to be made to your wheels or hubs. This option is arguably easier to fit than the front hub option.

If price is not an issue, my preference would be the Sunstar S03. It has very good reviews and I'm sure would combine well with your DaVinci hub.

EDIT: I misunderstood DeVinci to mean a DaVinci hub but I see it's a bicycle. My comment's remain the same except that option 3 may mean sacrificing the front dérailleur. The Sunstar can still be fitted to a DeVinci lifestyle.
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled - Richard Feynman
Elizabethsdad

Post by Elizabethsdad »

I have a bike witht he Bosch Bottom bracket electric assist and I like this system very much. The Bosch system is very similar to the Sunstar SO3 and I have and SO3 in the garage waiting to go on a recumbetn quad cargo cycle - when I get round to actually putting it together. I wouldn't worry about losing the front derailuer with the electric assist a single chainring should be perfectly OK.
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

Thanks for the Sunstar link - looks a useful bit of kit :wink:
Attachments
HPVee.jpg
"42"
Joe.B

Post by Joe.B »

Hi Janelle

We chose a Hainsmann motor for my wife's trike, link to report follows.

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=63642
byegad

Post by byegad »

ICE have developed one for their trikes, will fit after market too. Not sure if already launched or about to be launched.
"I thought of that while riding my bike." -Albert Einstein, on the Theory of Relativity

2007 ICE QNT
2008 Hase Kettwiesel AL27
2011 Catrike Trail
1951 engine
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

ICE wrote:The motor we are using is a Sunstar bottom bracket type motor. At first it will only be available direct from ICE and only in the UK.

So for aftermarket it's easy enough - either the motor kit or a new boom...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

It's an interesting problem: either 3.2kg of Sunstar mounted out front driving through the chain or a similar (?) un-suspended weight addition to the rear wheel (Bionx) :?

Easy to see why ICE went with the former route, as it should be rear wheel size independent.

(I suspect that there is going to be a race between my increasing age necessitating electrical assistance and a decent, affordable production solution making it to market :roll: )
"42"
Janelle

Post by Janelle »

Thankyou everyone for your advice and information, it is much appreciated. By the time I have saved up enough to buy the kit, I hope to reach a final decision!
Geriatrix

Post by Geriatrix »

squeaker wrote:It's an interesting problem: either 3.2kg of Sunstar mounted out front driving through the chain or a similar (?) un-suspended weight addition to the rear wheel (Bionx) :?

Easy to see why ICE went with the former route, as it should be rear wheel size independent.

(I suspect that there is going to be a race between my increasing age necessitating electrical assistance and a decent, affordable production solution making it to market :roll: )

I have a BionX conversion on a hybrid and I would be reluctant to recommend. Its good kit but they made some odd technical choices which pull the product down and its expensive.

I have the BionX 250 HT (high torque) motor and it delivers up to 3 X your effort on its highest setting so it's one of the most powerful and most silent motors.

If anyone considers a BionX conversion I'll give a run down on the issues I have experienced.
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled - Richard Feynman
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

Geriatrix wrote:I have a BionX conversion on a hybrid and I would be reluctant to recommend. Its good kit but they made some odd technical choices which pull the product down and its expensive.
Hmmm, I didn't say Heinzmann as I didn't realise they supported pedalecs. According to their new site they do, though :oops: Heavy (?) motors though: 4.7kg for the direct drive (250W & 11Nm, but up to 40Nm 'turbo boost') and3.5kg for the geared drive (250W).
"42"
Geriatrix

Post by Geriatrix »

BionX is now a risky option for a conversion kit. It used to be imported by Zyro but they no longer list BionX as an available product on their website. On the BionX website UK is not available in the dealer search dropdown box.

There are ebike dealers selling BionX kits in the UK but I'm not sure if that's run off stock from Zyro or if they are importing from a EU distributor. Either way if something breaks it will be hard to get technical or warranty support. That's a high risk purchase if you are laying out £1500.
bobc

Post by bobc »

I've electrified a couple of bikes now using commercial RC aeroplane gear. If you're "handy" it's probably the cheapest and is certainly the most satisfying way to go. I have a build thread on-going on endless sphere about my trike project
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewto ... 28&t=45393
Headlines are:
LiPo battery for 10 mile(ish) range $44
motor ESC $16
motor $35
Hall effect thumb throttle $9
laser cutting £80
sprockets / toothed belt pulleys £35
"bodge board" between throttle and ESC - say £10
There are some intimidating jobs in there - e.g. turning & threading the rear hub disc mount to take a LH thread freewheel, and making the "bodge board", but if you can get past that the result is cheap, legal, reasonably quiet & will perform better than anything (legal) you can buy!
Endless sphere is a good place to browse to see the options - but bear in mind it's full of american (their rules are generally much laxer than UK/EU) & max power types!
Bob
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

bobc wrote:I've electrified a couple of bikes now using commercial RC aeroplane gear. If you're "handy" it's probably the cheapest and is certainly the most satisfying way to go. I have a build thread on-going on endless sphere about my trike project
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewto ... 28&t=45393

I now see the attraction of a KMC trike base (= square frame tubes ;) )
Keep us posted when the milestones are achieved!
"42"