ICE workstand - How do you service yours?

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
[XAP]Bob

ICE workstand - How do you service yours?

Post by [XAP]Bob »

A few photo's attached of a stand which is NOT in production (nor, unfortunately is there any chance of it going into to production - it's just too expensive to mass produce it for sale.

Basically it has three 'cups', one on each cruciform (a little narrower than the fixed portion of the handlebars), and one on the main beam (under the seat, it's where the cable guide is now, but that's 'cos they moved the guide after making the stands).
there is also an over-locking hook which goes over the frame ahead of the rear cup completely securing the frame.

From the uprights to the cruciform there are two straps which can hold the steering solid (even without the adjustable bits of the steering attached) for tracking etc.

Below that there is a tool tray....

All on a solid steel frame - very industrial (but then they do build rather a lot of trikes)

A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
CW

Re: ICE workstand - How do you service yours?

Post by CW »

Mine is self made out of humble 2inch plastic pipe. It spends its unused time down the side of the house.
Chris
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

CW wrote:Mine is self made out of humble 2inch plastic pipe. It spends its unused time down the side of the house.

Same basic configuration?
I'm intending to build in wood...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
CW

Post by CW »

[XAP]Bob wrote:
CW wrote:Mine is self made out of humble 2inch plastic pipe. It spends its unused time down the side of the house.

Same basic configuration?
I'm intending to build in wood...

It is basically 3 verticals supporting the trike. Linked together to provide a floor stand. It puts the trike up about 4ft off the ground. I thought of wood but plastic was easier and using glue joints fairly quick to make. Plus I had some pipe knocking about.
Chris
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

main difference is the clanp and straps then
CW

Post by CW »

Here is a picture of it. I use straps on the front two points when I take the wheels off. The trike tips over if one wheel is off at the front.

IMG_0532.JPG
Chris
broadway

Post by broadway »

Looks like a lightweight version of this http://www.williambenedict.com/bikes/trike-stand.html

broadway

Post by broadway »

[XAP]Bob wrote:A few photo's attached of a stand which is NOT in production (nor, unfortunately is there any chance of it going into to production - it's just too expensive to mass produce it for sale.

Basically it has three 'cups', one on each cruciform (a little narrower than the fixed portion of the handlebars), and one on the main beam (under the seat, it's where the cable guide is now, but that's 'cos they moved the guide after making the stands).
there is also an over-locking hook which goes over the frame ahead of the rear cup completely securing the frame.

From the uprights to the cruciform there are two straps which can hold the steering solid (even without the adjustable bits of the steering attached) for tracking etc.

Below that there is a tool tray....

All on a solid steel frame - very industrial (but then they do build rather a lot of trikes)

A better view of the stand in this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jn71B7i3s0
CW

Post by CW »

broadway wrote:Looks like a lightweight version of this http://www.williambenedict.com/bikes/trike-stand.html

The price puts me off. I invested about £25 in mine
Chris
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

There are some really good ideas on that page.

I shall incorporate some into my stand. I still aim to build in wood (partly because I have some left over after building the garage, partly because it is strong and easy to modify) but tool hooks will play a part, and wheels might appear..

Although looking online scaffolding isn't all that expensive. A couple of quid per join and a few tens for all the length... Might be a solid version on it's way...
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

CW wrote:Here is a picture of it. I use straps on the front two points when I take the wheels off. The trike tips over if one wheel is off at the front.

IMG_0532.JPG

What size fittings are those (the T pieces for support)
Looking yesterday the fittings I could find weren't quite big enough (I didn't think)
CW

Post by CW »

[XAP]Bob wrote:
CW wrote:Here is a picture of it. I use straps on the front two points when I take the wheels off. The trike tips over if one wheel is off at the front.

IMG_0532.JPG

What size fittings are those (the T pieces for support)
Looking yesterday the fittings I could find weren't quite big enough (I didn't think)

The T pieces are adapted T pipe joints with half the top pipe cut away and then lined with some high density sponge. As the pipe is 2inch makes it ideal for the frame of the trike
Last edited by CW on 19 Jun 2013, 4:56pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

But what size? The ones i could see were either in 4" or 40mm

And 40mm didn't look quite big enough...
CW

Post by CW »

Sorry bob , just looked in screwfix and it is 40mm pipe not as I said. But it still fits the frame okay.
Chris
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

CW wrote:Sorry bob , just looked in screwfix and it is 40mm pipe not as I said. But it still fits the frame okay.

The 40mm must spread slightly then. I shall buy some on my way home - maybe not tonight though, I have a new toolkit* from Aldi, and a hot air gun from the same supplier.

* Mini socket set with all the normal socket set extensions and turny bits (except the brace) and a bonus flexible extension for those akward to reach bolts/screw. Also a "screwdriver" handle as well...
All the torx, allen, philips/pozidrive and flat head bits are on the same "square" attachment, and there is a "hex to square" adaptor so I can use any of them in a drill too...

Looks excellent for cycle maintenance...