Stopped by the police in the Mango velo

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
CW

Stopped by the police in the Mango velo

Post by CW »

It had to happen at some time. Sunday I was out for a short ride and cruising down a hill and up the next hill, in town. When the blue lights and flashing headlights of a marked police car appeared in my mirrors. I pulled over. The female officer was pleasant enough. She wondered why I didn`t have a registration plate. Because nothing could travel at the speed I was going without an engine :lol: :lol: :lol:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-R6YRsFGjKk
Chris
[XAP]Bob

Re: Stopped by the police in the Mango velo

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Awesome
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Geoff.D

Post by Geoff.D »

Love it! Absolutely love it!
Geoff.D

Post by Geoff.D »

By the way, I have it in the back of my mind that there was a legal case brought against a cyclist for "speeding" and it came out in the cyclist's favour. I believe that the ruling hinged on the fact that bikes aren't required to have a speedometer and so, it follows, that speed restriction signs don't apply to to them. Does this ring a bell (pardon the pun) with anyone?

I don't think this absolves a cyclist from a charge of dangerous driving, though.
Mark1978

Post by Mark1978 »

hehe, how fast were you going?
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Geoff.D wrote:By the way, I have it in the back of my mind that there was a legal case brought against a cyclist for "speeding" and it came out in the cyclist's favour. I believe that the ruling hinged on the fact that bikes aren't required to have a speedometer and so, it follows, that speed restriction signs don't apply to to them. Does this ring a bell (pardon the pun) with anyone?

I don't think this absolves a cyclist from a charge of dangerous driving, though.

A cycle is not a motorvehicle, an offense is committed if a motorvehicle exceeds the posted limit.

Of course such a speed could be used as evidence in dangerous driving..
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
CW

Post by CW »

Mark1978 wrote:hehe, how fast were you going?

I just kept within/on the 30 limit with help from gravity. For a change the roundabout was clear so I could carry on at speed to get up the short hill.
Chris
byegad

Post by byegad »

Love it, but next time offer to let her have a ride.
"I thought of that while riding my bike." -Albert Einstein, on the Theory of Relativity

2007 ICE QNT
2008 Hase Kettwiesel AL27
2011 Catrike Trail
1951 engine
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

If you pot a bogus reg plate on it, you could go on a motorway!
Mick F. Cornwall
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Mick F wrote:If you pot a bogus reg plate on it, you could go on a motorway!

TR1CYCLE
TonyR

Post by TonyR »

Geoff.D wrote:By the way, I have it in the back of my mind that there was a legal case brought against a cyclist for "speeding" and it came out in the cyclist's favour. I believe that the ruling hinged on the fact that bikes aren't required to have a speedometer and so, it follows, that speed restriction signs don't apply to to them. Does this ring a bell (pardon the pun) with anyone?

The speedometer has nothing to do with it otherwise you could get off a drink driving charge by pointing out there was no alcohol meter fitted to the car. But as pointed out above, except in Royal Parks, speed limits only apply to motor vehicles. So you can legally do 60 in a 30 limit on a bike although there are other things they could charge you with such as Dangerous Cycling or Careless Cycling.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

There is one road (a 30mph limit) where I habitually do 38-40mph.

Interestingly I've had several people in motor vehicles overtake me (then see the speed bump and panic) on that road - they must have been doing 55-60.

This road is in a housing estate - although it does have wide open grassy spaces to both sides of the road, so I have no problem doing 40 down there.