Trike routing limitations and compensation

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
Geoff.D

Re: Trike routing limitations and compensation

Postby Geoff.D » 19 Nov 2013, 9:13am

ICE are obviously taking this development very seriously. They're testing a forward vision device that clips to a helmet ( a sort of mini-periscope) to be used inconjuction with aerobelly fans who want the laidback position of the Vortex. I believe initial results are quite promising, with even an extension piece available for extreme-aerobelly afficionados.
:D

trike rebel

Postby trike rebel » 22 Nov 2013, 7:02pm

[XAP]Bob wrote:I'be had them spook at the trike without flag...

We've had problems with horses and flags on our trikes too. We usually approach slowly and call out to the riders to let them know about our flags.
Then dependant upon the answer we slowly ride past or stop and remove or hold the flags until the horse has gone.
I once had a horse skitter across the road towards me when it saw my trike and as I don't fancy a ton of horse sat in my lap I am now very cautious.
We all have to share this land and politeness and care costs nothing more than a few seconds. Let's face it even humans can't figure out what the heck we are riding so a horse has no chance, then again!!!

Cunobelin

Postby Cunobelin » 23 Nov 2013, 9:27am

As I have said before horses are by evolution prey animals

They have a finely tuned sense of threat and danger, to which they react (often unpredictably

Unfortunately for us most predators are low, sleek and fast in their body shape.

A horse sees a fast, low sleek shape (your recumbent), doesn't know exactly what it is but the shape alone defines it as a predator and threat - hence the spooking

Cunobelin

Postby Cunobelin » 23 Nov 2013, 9:30am

Rob Archer wrote:
mrjemm wrote:Perhaps ICE could fund my research into this principle. Supply me with both the vehicle and means to maintain the finely tuned physique that is an 'aerobelly'...

I hear ICE are to go into partnership with a couple of local Cornish 'aerobelly' developers, currently going under the trade names of 'Doom Bar' and 'St Austell Tribute'. There are apparently problems with the aerobelly solution affecting steering in higher concentrations, so I understand a lot more tests need to be carried out. :lol:

Funnily enough I have carried out this research independently!

forlorn hope

Postby forlorn hope » 23 Nov 2013, 4:53pm

I kept bumping into the same woman out riding her horse after the second time she asked me if her horse
Could come over and sniff my trike,after that the horse had zero problems with my trike,
When I rode it flagged even the local disabled riding club horses(which are so timid)freaked out.
Trice S 700cc
Optima baron