Underesat steering-how do you adjust headset?

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
BlackPanther

Underesat steering-how do you adjust headset?

Postby BlackPanther » 25 Jan 2014, 11:55am

Just wondering if I can pick your brains? I've still hardly ridden the Lyner, as I commute on the Catrike every day. Just got her ready to put into service for when (or if) the weather improves (fitted lights/dual pedals/Marathon Plus tyres/horn/etc) It's amazing how much extra money you can spend creating a reliable commuter!
Anyway, I've noticed a slight bit of play in the headset. I thought it could be tightened up by the allen bolt on top, but no. It felt like the whole 'insides' were turning and there was a 'creaking' sound.

I then thought there must be a bolt on the bottom, but after removing steering arm/wheel and mudguard there is no bottom bolt. (The photo below is looking up from underneath.)

I can see that when I look up the tube whilst turning the allen bolt on top, the whole thing turns around.

I'm confused as to how---
a/ to tighten the headset, and b/ how to remove if a replacement is ever needed. FYI, I can be pretty dense at this sort of stuff, but a quick google/youtube search usually points me in the right direction. However, I can't find anything on underseat steering adjustment.
Any advice would be appreciated,
many thanks, Carl.
The photobucket images don't work !!!

hercule

Re: Underesat steering-how do you adjust headset?

Postby hercule » 25 Jan 2014, 1:14pm

Apologies if this is a dumb question, but is it a threaded headset? One potential indicator is that the top cap markings suggest it is 1" size, most threaded and few threadless (Ahead) headsets are that size.

If there are flats on the sides of the top fittings, then it's a threaded one. You'll need appropriate sized headset spanners (usually around 30-32mm) to adjust - you'll need a pair to do it properly.

Apologies if I'm telling my granny how to sucke eggs, etc :D

BlackPanther

Postby BlackPanther » 25 Jan 2014, 2:20pm

Nowhere to put a spanner, it's a quill? stem that holds the steering arm (goes up the bottom of the tube, but doesn't seem to nip up the bottom bearing, and the top allen bolt just turns round without tightening up. I suspect a visit to my local friendly bike shop may be looming!
The photobucket images don't work !!!

Tigerbiten

Postby Tigerbiten » 25 Jan 2014, 4:01pm

It could be a Star Fangled Nut thats come loose.

See here -> http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-hel ... stallation

Thats the only thing I can think of, hope it helps ........... :D

Neilo

Postby Neilo » 26 Jan 2014, 9:12am

I would agree with tigerbitten. Star fangled nut. Couple of quid from LBS or "word corrected to Halfords". 10 min job.

Neil
If it aint broke, fix it til it is.

Loomis

Postby Loomis » 29 Jan 2014, 12:49pm

Interesting headset arrangement. Normally the centre bolt and star fangled nut on a threadless headset only serve to preload the bearings sufficiently to take up play. There is usually then some type of clamp or conventionally a stem that is tightened to lock the assembly in place. Your stem tube seems too short for that. Without clamping the steerer tube after adjustment, I would have thought that during normal riding the centre bolt/nut would loosen quickly.

dakari-mane

Postby dakari-mane » 30 Jan 2014, 4:53pm

Loomis wrote:Interesting headset arrangement. Normally the centre bolt and star fangled nut on a threadless headset only serve to preload the bearings sufficiently to take up play. There is usually then some type of clamp or conventionally a stem that is tightened to lock the assembly in place. Your stem tube seems too short for that. Without clamping the steerer tube after adjustment, I would have thought that during normal riding the centre bolt/nut would loosen quickly.

I concur with Loomis. I was test riding a DF recently & had not installed the top-cap/star nut & it had no negative effect as the stem kept everything in place. Without the stem however everything would just come lose & fall apart.

It might be worth dropping the manufacturer an e-mail asking for a copy of the user manual.

hercule

Postby hercule » 30 Jan 2014, 7:07pm

The headset on my aluminium Kettwiesel looks a bit like that - just a single Allen key bolt on the top cap. Bearings are hidden from view. No idea how it works, but it has done so far... doubtless I'll have to learn when it comes round to replacement, but the Kett's front wheel is so lightly laden that I think it will take a long time to wear out.

KM2

Postby KM2 » 25 Mar 2014, 7:21pm

The Lyner did have a loose star washer. Replaced it with an expanding system used for carbon forks. Seems to be ok, also I would say is more solid??