The Dreaded Flag - Where to buy...

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
User avatar
[XAP]Bob
Posts: 16752
Joined: 26 Sep 2008, 4:12pm

Re: The Dreaded Flag - Where to buy...

Postby [XAP]Bob » 23 Apr 2014, 3:33pm

No - I knew you didn't have a trike, but the requirements are pretty lax - you could probably use some small P clips at appropriate points.

Some jubilee clips / cable ties along a frame member?
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.

kingrollo
Posts: 64
Joined: 13 Mar 2014, 7:45pm

Re: The Dreaded Flag - Where to buy...

Postby kingrollo » 23 Apr 2014, 3:40pm

[XAP]Bob wrote:No - I knew you didn't have a trike, but the requirements are pretty lax - you could probably use some small P clips at appropriate points.

Some jubilee clips / cable ties along a frame member?


Ive tried that - but it don't look great - I want the flag to be straight up - not angled out over the back - Ive noticed the catrike adapter uses the disc mount holes - but wonder if these are a standard size....

User avatar
[XAP]Bob
Posts: 16752
Joined: 26 Sep 2008, 4:12pm

Re: The Dreaded Flag - Where to buy...

Postby [XAP]Bob » 23 Apr 2014, 3:42pm

kingrollo wrote:
[XAP]Bob wrote:No - I knew you didn't have a trike, but the requirements are pretty lax - you could probably use some small P clips at appropriate points.

Some jubilee clips / cable ties along a frame member?


Ive tried that - but it don't look great - I want the flag to be straight up - not angled out over the back - Ive noticed the catrike adapter uses the disc mount holes - but wonder if these are a standard size....


Disc mount holes should be, although their angle won't be.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.

c0d3x42
Posts: 22
Joined: 17 Apr 2014, 2:00pm

Re: The Dreaded Flag - Where to buy...

Postby c0d3x42 » 13 Jun 2014, 9:20am

Cunobelin wrote:What you need is a 6 or 8 mm fibre glass pole depending on the size of the flag fitment on the machine (most are 8mm, but with care it can be sanded down to fit a 6mmm holder. The 8mm is less flexible in wind.



I'm needing to get a pole for my bent, only had it a few weeks so its all a bit new to me. Seems that there are two options fro the pole, tubing which is hollow and therefore lighter than solid rod. Will one or the other last longer?

User avatar
[XAP]Bob
Posts: 16752
Joined: 26 Sep 2008, 4:12pm

Re: The Dreaded Flag - Where to buy...

Postby [XAP]Bob » 13 Jun 2014, 9:41am

c0d3x42 wrote:
Cunobelin wrote:What you need is a 6 or 8 mm fibre glass pole depending on the size of the flag fitment on the machine (most are 8mm, but with care it can be sanded down to fit a 6mmm holder. The 8mm is less flexible in wind.



I'm needing to get a pole for my bent, only had it a few weeks so its all a bit new to me. Seems that there are two options fro the pole, tubing which is hollow and therefore lighter than solid rod. Will one or the other last longer?


The limit to lifetime on mine (the ICE ones) seems to be the joints. I break them when I reverse into/out of the garage and catch the top of the pole on the door...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.

firedfromthecircus
Posts: 238
Joined: 23 Jan 2012, 7:50pm

Re: The Dreaded Flag - Where to buy...

Postby firedfromthecircus » 13 Jun 2014, 4:10pm

I have a Catrike with the standard flag mount. It is not a disc mount it fits to, but a mudguard or pannier mounting hole (no discs on the back of a trike :wink: ). The ones on my trike are threaded through the flat section of the dropout rather than a brazed on style boss. If you have similar it should fit on your Baccheta.

I shall attach a photo so hopefully you can see it well enough.

flag mount crop90.jpg

kingrollo
Posts: 64
Joined: 13 Mar 2014, 7:45pm

Re: The Dreaded Flag - Where to buy...

Postby kingrollo » 21 Jun 2014, 4:54pm

Heres mine .....nerdy flag and all

I brought the ice trike flag and seatpost mount - a 70p bracket from wilkos and botched it in the holes where disc brakes can be attached......close up available on request!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C222v2CLu2Q

hercule
Posts: 875
Joined: 5 Feb 2011, 5:18pm

Re: The Dreaded Flag - Where to buy...

Postby hercule » 21 Jun 2014, 10:32pm

You're looking a lot more confident there! Way to go!

tommydog
Posts: 176
Joined: 11 Feb 2017, 6:48pm

Re: The Dreaded Flag - Where to buy...

Postby tommydog » 29 Nov 2018, 10:38am

I just came across this thread, as I am looking to get a flag.

I did contact raindrop kites, as other posters had done years ago, but they are no longer doing custom work. So I was thinking of using these people and uploading my own artwork:

https://www.bannerbuzz.co.uk/triangle-flags

I note that they offer their flags with a pole pocket or metal eyelet option. Just wondered what people thought was better - metal eyelets or the pole pocket? The pole pocket is 3" which is much bigger than the 6mm pole that I was going to use. So wonder if I would be better off going for the eyelets and using flag bungees? What would peoples preference be?

User avatar
[XAP]Bob
Posts: 16752
Joined: 26 Sep 2008, 4:12pm

Re: The Dreaded Flag - Where to buy...

Postby [XAP]Bob » 29 Nov 2018, 11:33am

I'd still run a pole pocket, you could put another line of stitching to make a narrower pole pocket - or just have it loose (and tie it down at the bottom?)
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.

tommydog
Posts: 176
Joined: 11 Feb 2017, 6:48pm

Re: The Dreaded Flag - Where to buy...

Postby tommydog » 29 Nov 2018, 12:29pm

[XAP]Bob wrote:I'd still run a pole pocket, you could put another line of stitching to make a narrower pole pocket - or just have it loose (and tie it down at the bottom?)


Any reason why you would prefer a pole pocket?

Cosmicbike
Posts: 39
Joined: 8 Feb 2018, 8:08pm

Re: The Dreaded Flag - Where to buy...

Postby Cosmicbike » 29 Nov 2018, 12:32pm

I use the a flag from Rainbow with a pole pocket, tied at the bottom and a small bulldog clip on the top

climo
Posts: 440
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 8:08am
Location: Warminster

Re: The Dreaded Flag - Where to buy...

Postby climo » 29 Nov 2018, 12:57pm

I use tibetan prayer flags which is kinda apt :)
Have a load

User avatar
[XAP]Bob
Posts: 16752
Joined: 26 Sep 2008, 4:12pm

Re: The Dreaded Flag - Where to buy...

Postby [XAP]Bob » 30 Nov 2018, 10:00pm

tommydog wrote:
[XAP]Bob wrote:I'd still run a pole pocket, you could put another line of stitching to make a narrower pole pocket - or just have it loose (and tie it down at the bottom?)


Any reason why you would prefer a pole pocket?


Just feels more secure, and less flappy. Can’t slip Dow the pole
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.

User avatar
NUKe
Posts: 3479
Joined: 23 Apr 2007, 11:07pm
Location: Suffolk

Re: The Dreaded Flag - Where to buy...

Postby NUKe » 6 Dec 2018, 11:26am

Only affect I found with a Flag was it frightens horses didn't make the slightest difference otherwise. One horse tried to sit down in the road, which is pretty strange to see , until I jumped off and grabbed the flag.
Last edited by NUKe on 7 Dec 2018, 11:43am, edited 1 time in total.
NUKe
_____________________________________