Riding two wheeled recumbent clipped in

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
zoxed

Re: Riding two wheeled recumbent clipped in

Post by zoxed »

I learnt to use SPDs soon after learning how to ride my PDQ. Definitely gets better, and I have used them ever since. I had mine set to minimum tension and never had a problem with accidental release to they stayed like that.

But for full in-ride relaxation you need a trike :-) Clip in at the start, clip out at the end. Roll up to lights, and sprint off from the get-go :-))
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

It should be easier on a trike, but a bit like steering should be too, once you've been on a bike things get different.

So... test riding an HP Vel trike, I came up to a junction, unclipped by habit and put my foot down while still rolling gently forward and ouch!

(Having previously ridden trikes I didn't crash in to the kerb like the first time as an adult when leaning over Failed To Work Properly...)

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
foreversummer

Post by foreversummer »

Thanks for all the advice and tips Ive enjoyed reading about your experiences. I've borrowed a pair of clipless pedals off my husbands bike, they are single sided Shimano M324. I did a 15 mile ride today and felt much more confident and safer unclipping before reaching junctions and using the flat side. Interestingly I found the Shimano pedal just as easy to clip out of as the ClipR pedal which is aimed at novices. I hope to use the double sided pedals in the future when I am used to riding clipped in.
m.aldridge

Post by m.aldridge »

This is one of the plus points of an ultra low recumbent. On my Fujin I stay clipped in and use one hand as a prop stand. I can understand the terror of riding clipless for the first time and well remember having mine fitted by Butlers in Croydon and then riding to Waterloo to catch the train home. Thank God for railings, lamp-posts, buses and the not-amused girl who objected to my death-grip on her wing mirror.
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

pjclinch wrote:...Having previously ridden trikes I didn't crash in to the kerb like the first time as an adult when leaning over Failed To Work Properly...

Or, in my case, discover that tadpole trikes have jolly good brakes, thus saving me from an attempted demolition of the late lamented Future Cycles in Forest Row :roll:
"42"
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

Or Delta trikes may also have excellent stopping power, and if you are testing a Kettwiesel and tug hard on just the "front" (i.e., right side) brake then thanks to your weight right back over the axle they execute a very neat right turn on a sixpence! Once you've found that out it's actually good fun, but first time was a little... "thought provoking"!

In other words, I learned how easy trikes are the hard way.

Pete.
PDQ

Post by PDQ »

foreversummer wrote: I hope to use the double sided pedals in the future when I am used to riding clipped in.

I actually prefer single sided on my SMGT and my PDQ before it. Though not on an upright.
The single sided pedal always hangs at just the right angle (because it's unequally balanced) to re- enter the pedal at start off unlike a double sided.
Neat entry every time. A big plus.
And for quick entry and quick disengage situations (say really heavy traffic) it's not much of a problem to be on the unclipped side for a short while.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

pjclinch wrote:Or Delta trikes may also have excellent stopping power, and if you are testing a Kettwiesel and tug hard on just the "front" (i.e., right side) brake then thanks to your weight right back over the axle they execute a very neat right turn on a sixpence! Once you've found that out it's actually good fun, but first time was a little... "thought provoking"!

In other words, I learned how easy trikes are the hard way.

Pete.

Thank you for that....

I am off to test ride one on Monday .... a sort of audition to join my stable.
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

If you're off to test a Kett, start with [youtube]ux29Bw5CYUY[/youtube] ...
hercule

Post by hercule »

I haven't seen those pontoons in the Hase catalogue before...could come in handy! :D
kingrollo

Post by kingrollo »

Hey,

I have Ive had the giro 20 a few months too.....Respect if you brave enough to go cliplless - Unless I am on a road with no traffic I find the whole thing mildy terrifying....!!!!!

On my road bike I started with these - which are great - basically pedally normally until you hit a bit of road where you want to give it some welly....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/27130926 ... 108&ff19=0