Touring on a Trike

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
mrjemm

Touring on a Trike

Post by mrjemm »

In the past I've posted about perceived considerations of the restrictions imposed by riding a trike. With experience, those thoughts have proved to be partially true, partially false, but now I'd like to address the more specific aspect of this involved in touring.

I maintain that riding a trike involves more planning than 2 wheeled cycles; in my terms that means it does involve planning, while 'regular' cycling simply does not a lot of the time. This I believe could potentially be more important when thinking about going on a tour; going to new areas, staying in different accommodations, getting lost...

With a bike, I'd often take it into the room, and with 2 of us, that's 2 bikes in a room. In other cases, we'd be welcomed to put them in a store room behind reception or similar, otherwise squeezed next to the owner's car in the garage if staying at a B&B. I can't see the above being feasible, not without bothering others anyway.

When camping, the bikes'll be locked to a tree/fence near the tent, or perhaps in a rack near the office. On display. Left there as we wander to the pub, dinner, etc. until we stagger back in the dark. Hmmm. Little difference bar the value and level of external interest I guess.

Getting to places beyond a ride is far less likely to involve a train with a trike, but then with train prices for the route we're considering, that's a no go anyway. :shock:

Luggage can really only go on the rear, and as I've mentioned in the dream trikes thread, the situation with the Sprint 26 is duff, and unless it's feasible to move the rack forward and remove the silly spacer, I'd no way put a full load on the one rack: about 25-30mm of leverage on an m5 into around 5mm of aluminium? Into a mount that is not straight anyway, and has a rounded contact surface?... No ta. Perhaps if I put on an old disc specific rack, but then that's going to mean trouble with regards to front supports. Fail. I know lots of folk have used Sprints for loaded touring, I guess I must be a pessimist. OK, I know I am.

The Radical Banana Racers, etc. are marketed as the way to go on the ICE site, but 1) they aren't waterproof (OK, I've read the R site, and they argue their point), 2) they are rather saggy and quite tacky in the flesh (IMO), 3) they're still daftly expensive, despite 2. 4) R claim they don't need racks, which (see above) would be good, but ICE sell some kind of spacer, I notice, so perhaps something is still needed.

Is it that trikes are good for a ride, but not really so suited to touring? Or am I looking at this all wrong? I know some of you have toured extensively on them, so is it that you enjoy the challenge aspect? Perhaps more than the 'just have fun' side of things?

Perhaps fortuitously, the plan is Cornwall, so a visit to the source of all things ICEy could be a good education. Do you think they'd be offended by my turning up on a cycle instead? :wink:
Cunobelin

Re: Touring on a Trike

Post by Cunobelin »

Never gave it a second thought.....

Back in the early 90s there was never a problem with trains, or simply hired a one way van, often cheaper than a train!

Now I have a Gekko folding trike which does all that I need, and am looking at a Kettwiesel

I have never needed more luggage than a couple of panniers and a Top bag

Here she is in full touring mode (Chepstow to St Davids)

firedfromthecircus

Post by firedfromthecircus »

I have to say that I concur with most of your thoughts regarding trikes. I am new to the triking lark, and perhaps it will get better with experience, but I do find more thought is required beforehand.
As to your luggage issue, have you considered a trailer? Most of the drawbacks of a trailer on an upright are things you have already covered in your trike thoughts.
hercule

Post by hercule »

I've not toured with either of my trikes (though I am scheming) but have used them a fair bit and hauled not inconsiderable loads with them. I find trike riding requires no additional thought at all - though it does mean I generally miss the more dramatic rough stuff. Carrying big loads is no issue. One of the Ortlieb specific recumbent bags might work on your Sprint 26 - most of the weight will be carried on the seat rather than the rack, and they are hugely capacious as well as waterproof. Do you have a folding rear section on your trike? If so it should be no problem to fit into the corner of a B&B's garage (you are after all a paying customer!). My Kettwiesel although as long as I am tall (perhaps a bit more) takes up less space than a DF when it sits on its tail. With the huge rear bag and two front wheel panniers it is easily able to swallow considerable loads, and if that's not enough then the Carry Freedom Y-frame Large trailer has exactly the same wheel track and tyre size. I've towed 60kg on mine, and found it a far less exciting experience than pulling a similar load with an upright.

Locking the thing up does seem to be a perennial vexation. Using two ground skewers and a U-lock seems to be one tadpole trike solution mentioned for camping. A big cable or chain will secure the Kett to most things by locking it up at the rear axle. A movement sensing alarm could be a useful augmentation. To be honest I am so paranoid about bike theft that I'd only be happy camping if I had my bike in the tent with me! A Brompton doesn't make the most obvious cycle camping option though I know people have done it - and it's nowhere as comfortable as a trike!
Tigerbiten

Post by Tigerbiten »

Who ssays trikes don't tour '........
I'm only somewhere in Romania, heading north, after covering 2720 miles so far.
The aluminium box on my large carry freedom trailer gives me 100 litres plus the medium radical sidepods and I've all the storage space I need.
Also the trailer gives you a better presence on the road, same with the steamer fairing, soI think I'm a little safer with them on.
The trike-trailer rig goes on ferries, for the same price as a normal bike, that's all you need.
Plan ferry across to the continent, cycle a big circle, ferry back ........ :D
mrjemm

Post by mrjemm »

Romania! Impressed with that jaunt TB.

Don't suppose you have a blog or website of your adventures, by any chance? Seems you get to some interesting places on your trike.

And thanks for the earlier replies, folk. Cheers.
mrjemm

Post by mrjemm »

hercule wrote:One of the Ortlieb specific recumbent bags might work on your Sprint 26 - most of the weight will be carried on the seat rather than the rack, and they are hugely capacious as well as waterproof.!

Just went back and realised I'd not commented on your thoughts, Hercule. Are you sure about the weight going on the seat? Looking at pics, it seems they use the same mount as their regular panniers, just stretched forwards so the lower mount would go on the front support. I can't see how they'd contact the seat. I do like the look of them, but sooo expensive; not something to risk a chance of not working for me. Are you sure you don't mean the Radical bags? Those go on the seat back.

Edit... Just seen the instructions, and see they use a cross-seat strap, so I understand now, sorry.

I like the idea of ground stakes. Used to use them to hold a cat dinghy down, and worked very well, even through winter gales that threw much bigger boats about. Corkscrew type I mean. Need the right type of ground of course...

It does fold, but still rather hefty. Wouldn't fit in some gaps I've squeezed my regular bike.

Both you and TB suggest a trailer, and I can't help but think that would be overkill for a week's jaunt; would feel like a convoy, or at least your standard 16 wheeler artic. Maybe when I follow TB's footsteps...erm, tyre tracks, on a long haul adventure, but not a few days in the West Country lanes.
Edwards

Post by Edwards »

The trailer option will work out cheaper than the special bags and Pods. It can also be used on other bikes for other things.
I have a dog trailer that is used to carry other stuff as well as the dog. In the long run a trailer is so much more versatile.

Just think of it as your own personal Crash Cushion (the trucks on fast roads with the arrow and big thing sticking out the back).
Keith Edwards
I do not care about spelling and grammar
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

The bags are connected by webbing straps which lie across the seat
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Dale08

Post by Dale08 »

I have toured Europe and UK on ice sprint 20, 2 standard large panniers and homemade side bags with camping gear and everything thar goes with it never had any bother.you will be amazed how much stuff you can carry on a trike .
Cyclists Do It Silently
mrjemm

Post by mrjemm »

Folks with Sprints; Dale, Bob, etc., do your racks/carriers not use the spacer to clear the rear brake? If so, are your's not as described above (my OP)? Like I say, I am probably a pessimist, but I don't think the rack stay/frame interface is really up to carrying much as standard.

I really don't think I'll be going down the trailer route- a trike alone is already so much bulk and bother, and 3 wheels is already 50% more than I am used to (plus 2 tyre sizes).

Hmmm. It often seems I am talking myself out of trike riding. It is a definitely a totally different activity to riding a bike, and takes getting used to. Learning and perseverance. Great fun and of course comfortable, but hassle; so much less simple.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

No spacer on mine, just bolts straight onto the frame.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
alant82

Post by alant82 »

My Sprint 26 had the spacer you describe but I removed it and bolted the rack straight to the frame because the spacer interfered with a trailer hitch I wanted to use. I've only done one overnight trip with my trike and used panniers on the rack loaded with camping gear, tent attached to the top of the rack, and also had the Radical side pods slung over the seat, and had no problems.
Alan
ICE Sprint 26
Bacchetta Giro 26
alant82

Post by alant82 »

Alan
ICE Sprint 26
Bacchetta Giro 26
mrjemm

Post by mrjemm »

Thanks Alan, it's helpful to know it's feasible to remove the spacer. Will be able to have a look (and fiddle) for myself after tomorrow.

Looks like a very nice spot in the pic. Up Perthshire way?