ICE Rally and Race - 27th July 2014

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
notme2

ICE Rally and Race - 27th July 2014

Post by notme2 »

[XAP]Bob

Re: ICE Rally and Race - 27th July 2014

Post by [XAP]Bob »

I would, but MrsBob has a Sondheim weekend booked...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

notme2 wrote:Goodwood anyone

http://www.icetrikes.co/community/ice-blog

Please click here to register for the trike race or Brompton Meander. You will need to bring a trike and a cycling helmet to take part. Entry to the festival is free to those racing or 'meandering'.
Helmet, for a Meander?!?
"42"
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

squeaker wrote:
notme2 wrote:Goodwood anyone

http://www.icetrikes.co/community/ice-blog

Please click here to register for the trike race or Brompton Meander. You will need to bring a trike and a cycling helmet to take part. Entry to the festival is free to those racing or 'meandering'.
Helmet, for a Meander?!?

Trike for a brompton meander?
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
yakdiver

Post by yakdiver »

Helmet - you all beat me to it
I've raced round the Goodwood Circuit
forlorn hope

Post by forlorn hope »

The helmets probably only for the race,same as a BHPC race as far as I know.
At least you are not required to have two tent poles and a bit of hi viz rag on the end.
Trice S 700cc
Optima baron
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Would turning up with a Catrike Expedition or HP Velotechnik Gekko be in poor taste?
notme2

Post by notme2 »

Cunobelin wrote:Would turning up with a Catrike Expedition or HP Velotechnik Gekko be in poor taste?

Doesn't say anything about only being an ICE trike. So some embarrassment may ensue but it is a good opportunity to see the arctic trike up close and personal.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Cunobelin wrote:Would turning up with a Catrike Expedition or HP Velotechnik Gekko be in poor taste?

Not if that's what you have.

Turning up with a.n.other folder for the Brommies might cause some consternation though...
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

forlorn hope wrote:The helmets probably only for the race,same as a BHPC race as far as I know.

From 'The Rules' which apply to all 3 Brompton events:
5. Dress code For health and safety reasons, it is an absolute condition of participation that a helmet is worn.

Ignoring the questionable benefits of plastic hats, one of the joys of 3 wheels for me is the vastly reduced interest of 'concerned parties' at what I choose, or not, to wear on my head.

Pity really, as it might have made a 'grand trike day out' for me (especially as 'local produce' might include liquid refreshments), living within reasonable cycling distance of Goodwood.
"42"
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

squeaker wrote:
forlorn hope wrote:The helmets probably only for the race,same as a BHPC race as far as I know.

5. Dress code For health and safety reasons, it is an absolute condition of participation that a helmet is worn.

Ignoring the questionable benefits of plastic hats, one of the joys of 3 wheels for me is the vastly reduced interest of 'concerned parties' at what I choose, or not, to wear on my head.

Pity really, as it might have made a 'grand trike day out' for me (especially as 'local produce' might include liquid refreshments), living within reasonable cycling distance of Goodwood.

Excellent - wear the helmet on your elbow.
forlorn hope

Post by forlorn hope »

[XAP]Bob wrote:
squeaker wrote:

Excellent - wear the helmet on your elbow.

5.2 Brompton Sprint & Meander There is no dress code. :roll:
I can assure you the old boy on the brompton I was chatting with last Sunday who was wearing a cycling cap
And who is attending will not be wearing one.
Trice S 700cc
Optima baron
manybikes

Post by manybikes »

Well 5.2 comes as a subsection of 5 - which states helmets are essential. 5.2 merely means you don't have to wear a suit and collared shirt etc.
Even the ICE blog says that you have to "bring a helmet" if you want to ride anything at the event. I don't think playing the semantics game and claiming that it doesn't actually say you have to wear it on your head would wash with the organisers. What a shame.

I'm not into racing my Trice - I'm not fit enough -but it could be interesting to visit. I've often used Goodwood's cafe so it may be worth poodling out there to see if any other recumbentists are there for a chat and coffee and if it looks good enough buy a spectator pass on the day at £12.

I'm not able to commit to anything until the day so might just turn up - it would be good to see others from this forum.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

[XAP]Bob wrote:

Not if that's what you have.

Turning up with a.n.other folder for the Brommies might cause some consternation though...

So the Gekko could upset BOTH organisers then?
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

As for helmets, would it be pedantic to point out that under present law, motor trikes are exempt?

Why not ask for an exemption on these grounds?