Picture of my bike on ebay, and I'm not even selling it!

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
Joe.B

Picture of my bike on ebay, and I'm not even selling it!

Postby Joe.B » 8 Oct 2014, 9:31pm

We have all heard of the criminal practice of car cloning, how about cycle cloning.
Take a look at this Vortritek 550S currently on ebay in the USA.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vortritek-550S- ... 1530038098

Compare it with my recently purchased Challenge Sieran, also an ebay buy but from its original owner in the UK.

ImagePhoto0127 by Joe.Audax, on Flickr

ImagePhoto0123 by Joe.Audax, on Flickr

The photo on ebay is without a doubt my bike, the only difference are the make/model details which upon a closer look appear to be photo-shopped in.
I might contact ebay about this.

maxcherry

Re: Picture of my bike on ebay, and I'm not even selling it!

Postby maxcherry » 8 Oct 2014, 10:06pm

They don't look the same. How can a person tell it is a clone?
Honestly chaps, I'm a female!

Joe.B

Postby Joe.B » 8 Oct 2014, 10:15pm

maxcherry wrote:They don't look the same. How can a person tell it is a clone?

Really, how about the bag on the back of the seat held on with an orange cable-tie, the bit of green foam under the seat pad, the reflective stickers placed on the mudguards and sides of the seat, the Rohloff and Schmidt hubs, the B&M tail light or maybe the exact same pair of mismatched rims.

RickH

Postby RickH » 8 Oct 2014, 10:35pm

I don't know if it is your bike as I've no idea what comes as standard & what you've added/changed. I will say it is definitely the same model listed & the image of the ePray one is definitely dodgy as the bike is mirrored - the chain is on the left, discs on the right - & I would agree the writing on the frame has been crudely edited in.

Rick.

horizon

Postby horizon » 8 Oct 2014, 10:40pm

Joe: assuming they are the same bike, Challenge (a Dutch firm) don't seem to have much presence in the US and Vortritek don't seem to have much presence anywhere but the US apart from their base in Germany. Is it not possible that Challenge bikes are sold as Vortriteks in the US under some sort of licence? It would work well for both companies.

Unless you are saying that this is an old picture of YOUR bike from a previous ebay seller ...

NB Sellers often do thhis to avoid the faff of taking pics...

But I'm thinking other things now ...
Last edited by horizon on 8 Oct 2014, 11:36pm, edited 2 times in total.
The experience of travel is something that you have to pay for but can never buy. Ho Ri Zon Chinese philosopher

Joe.B

Postby Joe.B » 8 Oct 2014, 10:45pm

horizon wrote:Joe: assuming they are the same bike, Challenge (a Dutch firm) don't seem to have much presence in the US and Vortritek don't seem to have much presence anywhere but the US apart from their base in Germany. Is it not possible that Challenge bikes are sold as Vortriteks in the US under some sort of licence? It would work well for both companies.

Yes, a entirely probable business arrangement, but there are many personal touches on my bike, the bag on the back and the chunks of foam under the seat for example.

horizon

Postby horizon » 8 Oct 2014, 10:56pm

Yes, I think it's your bike. Do you have the old photos from when you bought it yourself on ebay? Did you buy yours with 2 x mirrors and bag?
The experience of travel is something that you have to pay for but can never buy. Ho Ri Zon Chinese philosopher

[XAP]Bob

Postby [XAP]Bob » 8 Oct 2014, 11:05pm

hope it's not being sold then stolen to order!
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.

UpWrong

Postby UpWrong » 8 Oct 2014, 11:25pm

Vortritek bear more than a passing resemblance to a company which was banned from bentrideronline after making threats.

horizon

Postby horizon » 8 Oct 2014, 11:33pm

A bit of Googling tells you a lot more about Vortritek than you might wish to know.

maxcherry

Postby maxcherry » 9 Oct 2014, 8:14am

Joe.B wrote:
maxcherry wrote:They don't look the same. How can a person tell it is a clone?

Really, how about the bag on the back of the seat held on with an orange cable-tie, the bit of green foam under the seat pad, the reflective stickers placed on the mudguards and sides of the seat, the Rohloff and Schmidt hubs, the B&M tail light or maybe the exact same pair of mismatched rims.

I did look at the Ebay link and compared to the pics you posted. Your bike has different bits and bobs on it. That
Is why I asked. :)

broadway

Postby broadway » 9 Oct 2014, 9:26am

Joe.B

Postby Joe.B » 9 Oct 2014, 10:27am

broadway wrote:The revervsed shot is from here http://www.satdowncycling.co.uk/product ... h-rohloff/

Yes, and that is a legitimate photo of the bike on a site belonging to the chap I bought it from. I should probably let him know that his site is being used by someone in the States for the purpose of (probably) fraud.

maxcherry

Postby maxcherry » 9 Oct 2014, 5:37pm

I see what you mean now, as I compared the Ebay pic to the pictures you posted and not this current picture.

:)

forlorn hope

Postby forlorn hope » 9 Oct 2014, 5:54pm

Vortitek are also selling trikes which are photoshopped Challenge concept trikes.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/900R-Fuzia-Re ... 2c8e044721 a supposed second hand one for sale with the seller being a disable military vet.
Dodgy as.
Trice S 700cc
Optima baron