Guy Martin does recumbents!!!!!!

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
[XAP]Bob

Re: Guy Martin does recumbents!!!!!!

Post by [XAP]Bob »

I'd have liked to see some of the "can sustain 500W for 2 minutes, 300W for 5, 150 W for 24 hours" but that's me...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
beardy

Post by beardy »

Going slightly off topic.

Due to a small experience of light aircraft to me a tandem is strictly one behind the other, if you are sat side by side that isnt tandem. Is that an anomaly peculiar to the aircraft or is that the general understanding of the term tandem?

Whichever way, the first thing that came out of my mouth on seeing the picture was an indignant "that isnt a tandem, thats just a two seater".
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

I agree - it's a sociable.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

beardy wrote:Going slightly off topic.

Due to a small experience of light aircraft to me a tandem is strictly one behind the other, if you are sat side by side that isnt tandem. Is that an anomaly peculiar to the aircraft or is that the general understanding of the term tandem?

Whichever way, the first thing that came out of my mouth on seeing the picture was an indignant "that isnt a tandem, thats just a two seater".

I'm with you - it's widely misused, I think, as in "We're going to do them in tandem", meaning we're going to do them at the same time, when by definition, although the two outcomes are linked, one must precede the other to some degree. I think they mean "do them in parallel", by and large.

I shall return to safety underneath my pedant's stone :)
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
[XAP]Bob wrote:I'd have liked to see some of the "can sustain 500W for 2 minutes, 300W for 5, 150 W for 24 hours" but that's me...

Steady Eddie................

I can knock out 350W for 30 mins upright, give me a month and I will do it for 60 Mins :)

Find a tandem HPV feet first and I will team up, but conditions...................only one steering handle and you up front as fly swat, I need to fiddle with something so I will steer from behind, and I can keep an eye on you too :wink:
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

That's not my measurements, just a set of random numbers I'd have like to have seen...

I've no idea what mine are, other than that Strava reckons I can push somewhere over 150W all day.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

pjclinch wrote:
NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
In the back of my mind if you watched the program as a semi experienced / club cyclist you think it was staged.
Probably because I expect better attention to the actual facts, which where thin on the ground at best.

I'd think it was "staged" because you can't have a programme of training and vehicle design/build followed by booking a closed-road circuit and running timing etc. by just turning up and hoping everything's okay. It was "staged" in much the same way as Battle Mountain or Paris/Roubaix is "staged" annually: according to a schedule designed to deliver. Unlike those other events, however, the package being delivered here is an hour of weekend evening TV, and any records etc. collected are a nice bonus.

Pete.

As a non-club cyclist, I felt it looked staged and think this may be because unlike so many programs of the genre it was not full of false/manufactured crises. e.g when they were practicing and failed to take a corner and went on the "rough", it was just that - a bit of film showing them being shaken around a bit. Most such programs would have started "and they may have cracked the wasinging gear peg which would put not only jeopardise the record attempt but would put threaten the entire existence of the Universe ...". Presenter walks down a street and "at any moment a double decker bus might suffer a jammed accelerator pedal and come hurtling out of control and kill ...". It was good that they avoided such "false crises", but the technique has become so common I wonder if sub-conciously it led us to think "something wrong" and that it looked staged.

(Just don't start me on Brian Cox... 'cos then the moderators will be overworked)

Ian
Si

Post by Si »

A general 'Meh'. If it commented on cycling at all then it was a positive comment, and it was entertaining. Works for me.
Stradageek

Post by Stradageek »

I concur, most enjoyable, but I'd love to know how fast Mike Burrows would have been over the flying 100m, my guess is that he'd have been able to embarrass them both
Postboxer

Post by Postboxer »

People could do Jogle on that, would need gears, think it weighed 35 kilos was it?

Guy appeared to just wear his normal shorts after he pitted to put cream on, he still had several hours to go too. Also I wasn't sure whether that flap at the back was meant to be open the whole time or not, maybe helped with the draft.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Postboxer wrote:People could do Jogle on that, would need gears, think it weighed 35 kilos was it?

Guy appeared to just wear his normal shorts after he pitted to put cream on, he still had several hours to go too. Also I wasn't sure whether that flap at the back was meant to be open the whole time or not, maybe helped with the draft.

As a designer Mike Burrows has already cracked LEJOG with Andy Wilkinson as the engine and a faired Windcheetah

Interestingly Andy Wilkinson's times would have beaten the original 506 miles tandem record as a single rider

At 12 Hours he had covered 295 miles and at 24 hours he had covered 530 miles.
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
Guy is -

Watchable
Enthusiastic
Rides a motorbike ( I used to every day for 15-20 years, end2end 1 day)
Falls off (I still do and once badly :( )
Goes flat out (then I fall off :) )
Mechanic (self taught and got pay too)
Wears a Dark blue overall (so do I)
Long hair (I used to, but went short,all that washing and drying)
Talks alot (some say I do)
Dirty hands (I wear gloves nowerdays)

At least he is successful at what he presents, not like those bankrupt property / cooking bods.
Even if he fails I will still watch him...........
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Even if he fails I will still watch him...........

For me life is not about succeeding or failing. It's about trying.

Ian
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
Yes better put, and you meet folk who are scared stiff by the thought of being associated with any failure they will just sit there, Quoting " you dont want to be on that job its doomed"

Sometimes you surprise yourself...........................
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Cunobelin wrote:
Postboxer wrote:People could do Jogle on that, would need gears, think it weighed 35 kilos was it?

As a designer Mike Burrows has already cracked LEJOG with Andy Wilkinson as the engine and a faired Windcheetah

Interestingly Andy Wilkinson's times would have beaten the original 506 miles tandem record as a single rider

At 12 Hours he had covered 295 miles and at 24 hours he had covered 530 miles.

And he was doing that with Cornish hills to deal with...