Bottle dynamo placement. Am I mad?

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
hercule

Re: Bottle dynamo placement. Am I mad?

Post by hercule »

I was just thinking what a good idea this was and that I could do this on my QNT... until I realised that upgrading to front suspension means that the wheel moves relative to the mudguards :roll: Still, I can always use the mount on the rear swing arm.

For those without suspension it looks like a good option if you want to mount a Velogical rim dynamo - they are apparently not suitable for the usual Trice mounting point because they need to be close to vertical in orientation to drain properly.
zoxed

Post by zoxed »

FWIW my Kett came from Hase with a bottle dynamo mounted in the same fashion.
Worked OK: no noticeable pull, but replaced it with a quieter, less slip prone, hub dynamo !
Just noticed you can see an example here: viewtopic.php?f=24&t=57699&view=unread#p825492
hercule

Post by hercule »

For some reason I completely forgot that - my Kett is set up the same way. It too has a hub dynamo instead now! Whilst the Hase mudguard stays are very solid, IMHO the ICE ones (at least the ones on my QNT) aren't quite so vibration free.
Trikeyohreilly

Post by Trikeyohreilly »

In conclusion. I found that I could get correct alignment on one mudguard but not the other, both from around 2004/05.

They held fine with little or no problems. However, I did find that the wheel of the dynamo was very good at taking much water from the tyre in wet conditions and throwing it onto my knees and legs.

I guess a simple guard could be made but I'm now perusing other ideas.

I add due to the many ideas I've looked at online that had no end story.

Cheers. Ed
Allydoug

Post by Allydoug »

I am hub dynamos all the way and would say the SON Deluxe is fab but if it can't fit with the axle then B&M isn't too far off.
Compliments from a nice laddie over the rainbow in Scotland.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Son do a stub axle disc brake version

As have a stub axle drum, which might be vapourware
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.