M5 High Racer

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
yelfordrover

M5 High Racer

Post by yelfordrover »

I'm looking at the M5 Racer dual 700C high Racer (or possibly the equivalent carbon high racer). I prefer the use of 700C's for superior rolling resistance & choice of wheels & tyres. However, I also prefer to be as low as possible (410mm & 480mm seat heights respectively). Am about to contact M5 directly to see about bike specs but also about the possibility of buying just a frame kit. However, before doing that I thought I would ask the forum for their opinions.
Many thanks.
neil earley

Re: M5 High Racer

Post by neil earley »

not many in this country but loads of youtube videos out there, carbon going to be expensive to buy! Go on BROL American recumbent forum lots of threads on M5 .good luck on your bent and keep us updated.
hercule

Post by hercule »

That sounds an incredibly low seat height for a dual 700C bike. My Nazca Fuego (20/26) has a seat height of 410mm at the middle ride setting, and it is described as a "low racer". If those figures are correct, heel overlap might be a serious problem - I occasionally catch the front wheel with my foot on my Fuego.
4wils

Post by 4wils »

Tried one of these whilst on holiday in the Netherlands a couple of years back. Don't remember heel strike being a problem and I do not have a long legs. I do remember contact between chain and wheel when turning. However I was riding around a built up area and not out on the open road when that would be less of an issue. What stopped me from buying was the seat recline, for me it was too low ( I have a bad neck - hence recumbents - but don't find it comfortable if too reclined). But what a responsive ride! After a Bacchetta Giro it was a revelation.
Last edited by 4wils on 25 Feb 2015, 7:13am, edited 1 time in total.
OldBloke

Post by OldBloke »

squeaker

Post by squeaker »

yelfordrover wrote:Am about to contact M5 directly to see about bike specs but also about the possibility of buying just a frame kit.
Yes: several threads linked to this one on BROL.
HTH
"42"
hercule

Post by hercule »

Ah, I see... that is indeed a low seat height. However I am just below their height minimum so probably would get interference with the front wheel. And I seriously doubt I could manage that degree of recline. The fully upright setting on my Fuego seems to suit me best at the moment, though in the past I've been happy with it lower.
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

hercule wrote:The fully upright setting on my Fuego seems to suit me best at the moment, though in the past I've been happy with it lower.

[thread drift]Interesting: my back's happier with the seat fully reclined on my Fuego, but then back problems vary a lot too...[/thread drift]
Don't think there's any risk of me acquiring an M5 anytime soon though :lol:
"42"