Up for a ride?

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
cookie32

Up for a ride?

Post by cookie32 »

Off for another Sunday adventure with hoarder. Feel free to join us if you can, the more the merrier
RALLY POINT:
Bury Road Filling Station
Bury Road
Kentford
Newmarket CB8 7PZ
We'll be meeting at Sunday 0800. the planned route is to Abbey Gardens in Bury St. Edmunds, but its always up for discussion. Hope to see you there.
Only dead men have seen the end of wars

Pashley PDQ, Performer 922
hoarder
Location: South of Newmarket, SW of Bury St. Edmunds. ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ sƃuıɥʇ ʇɐ ƃuıʞool

Re: Up for a ride?

Post by hoarder »

What a fabulous day to get out ! And (drumroll, please....) we were joined by Tigerbiten (who left home at 2.45am apparently - or some ridiculous time like that, maybe I misheard - to drive down to join us). True to his word, Cookie was on his resurrected PDQ rather than the AZ bent (did I imagine it, or is a key part of this bike fettled from a child's scooter ?); Tigerbiten on his ICE, and me on the Performer. The route in to Bury St. Edmunds' Abbey Gardens craftily adapted to ensure we a) got to see the (ruined) Abbey gates from the best angle, and b) would not miss the Scandinavian Coffee House as a likely stop for breakfast. Brown sauce, not Red (Cumberland sausage outranks even Best Bacon). The route back - not easily forgotten (NCN) but the extra effort will be worth it. I look forward to the next one. I think I'll make a Date and Walnut cake as an incentive for others to join us....... :wink:
Last edited by hoarder on 9 Mar 2015, 12:09pm, edited 1 time in total.
cookie32

Post by cookie32 »

Another great Sunday ride in the books, started with a pleasant surprise. Tigerbiten drove 2 hours to join us this morning, this man is a legend. I can only hope to put in the kind of miles he does on my bike one day. Hoarder as usual makes great company. I managed to fall over again about 3 minutes 5 into the video. I think we hit the trifecta today great weather, company and no mechanical failures. I better get a lottery ticket right, lol.

http://youtu.be/DRsaeygygoU
http://youtu.be/9SIO-L1BrAM
Attachments
SUNDAY RIDE TO BURY WITH JON AND NIGEL, RECUMBENT POV-00-04-21-848.jpg
SUNDAY RIDE TO BURY WITH JON AND NIGEL, RECUMBENT POV-00-02-20-603.jpg
SUNDAY RIDE TO BURY WITH JON AND NIGEL, RECUMBENT POV-00-04-06-726.jpg
SUNDAY RIDE TO BURY WITH JON AND NIGEL, RECUMBENT POV-00-00-02-448.jpg
Last edited by cookie32 on 8 Mar 2015, 8:42pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tigerbiten

Post by Tigerbiten »

A very enjoyable ride in good company.

We timed it right as it rained while I was driving back to "Northampton" ....... :D
cookie32

Post by cookie32 »

Tigerbiten wrote:A very enjoyable ride in good company.

We timed it right as it rained while I was driving back to "Northampton" ....... :D

North, got it. Sorry about that.

hercule

Post by hercule »

I particularly enjoyed the second video :D

I really liked my PDQ but sadly didn't have the legs for it... I proved to be bit too short to stop comfortably. I had a few falling off moments myself, one memorably when I rolled up to a junction and forgot to put my feet down because I thought I was on my trike. :roll:

For date and walnut cake I may have to seriously making the 600 mile journey south...
cookie32

Post by cookie32 »

I blame hoarder for my fall, he started rolling backward on his trike and my mind said you can do that on two wheels. Then reality set in so I dropped my left foot as I do, and leaned right as you shouldn't do. Just doing a gravity check and as luck would have it gravity was in full effect.
Last edited by cookie32 on 9 Mar 2015, 2:57am, edited 1 time in total.

hoarder
Location: South of Newmarket, SW of Bury St. Edmunds. ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ sƃuıɥʇ ʇɐ ƃuıʞool

Post by hoarder »

Mea culpa :oops:
Brings back vivid memory of me, in 1969/70, as a 5 or 6 year old, rolling back on my trike and coming to a sudden halt when the metal box behind the seat had smashed the rear light cluster of one of the few cars in the street where I grew up. My Mum was furious, as she had to pay for a replacement out of her holiday money jar (ex-coffee jar on the top shelf of the tall cupboard opposite the kitchen door). :oops: :oops: :cry: :cry:
cookie32

Post by cookie32 »

Okay so I've been asked to lead this ride to Bury St. Edmunds again on the 22nd of March. Happy to do so, and hoping for a big turn out. Again its and open invitation to all who want to join us. We're looking at a 0900 rollout time for those of you traveling in for the ride. The link I've provided is for the starting point to Abbey Gardens in Bury St. Edmund. We'll be looking to have tea or coffee in Bury along with a light snack or meal before returning. The route back will be reversed unless a change is agreed to. There will be more than one of us familiar with the route so we are able to support a fast and slow group if need be. I imagine we'll all be in it for the take it as it comes pace. Feel free to hit me up with any question you may have.

RECAP
RIDE OUT 22ND OF MARCH @0930 FROM CB8 7PZ TO ABBEY GARDENS IN BSE. THE 39 MILERS WILL BE LEAVING A TAD EARLIER, CONTACT ME FOR THOSE DETAILS.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid= ... V77aPPToHg

cookie32

Post by cookie32 »

Ok, I'd planned on staging from my house but it looks like the turn outs more than I expected. Jubilee field is about a half mile from the house and has parking for as many as we need at no fee. Here's to postcode for the meeting point for us 40 milers. Just park down by the field because the upper part of the car park by Sainsbury has a time limit. I'll be there by 0840. I'm doing the map for the 40 milers as well this morning.

Recreation Way

Mildenhall

Bury Saint Edmunds, Suffolk IP28 7HG

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=z6oRe6P99rfo.kzFhxroG8NMQ

cookie32

Post by cookie32 »

HOPING TO SEE YOU ALL THERE!

hoarder

Post by hoarder »

Waterproofs -tick
Waterbottle - tick
D-lock and cable -tick
Date and Walnut Cake ingredients - tick
cookie32

Post by cookie32 »

hoarder wrote:Waterproofs -tick
Waterbottle - tick
D-lock and cable -tick
Date and Walnut Cake ingredients - tick

Sounds like your expecting some precip?
It looks like it's shaping up to be a decent day. I was a bit worried a few days ago.
We might need to task someone with bringing a drink for the cake lol.

cookie32

Post by cookie32 »

Another great Sunday ride in the books. Special thanks to Rich, Brian for driving in and Nigel/Tigerbiten riding his trike from Northampton for Sunday's ride. I had a great time and was reward with a delicious pecan cake baked by Jon/hoarder. I could have eaten the would thing, thanks.

[youtube]https://youtu.be/WvPsFpd4Dlg[/youtube]
Attachments
virb0015-00-02-17-947.jpg
virb0003 (1)-00-07-09-977.jpg
virb0020-00-00-53-711.jpg
virb0001-00-00-23-156.jpg
virb0001-00-00-00-000.jpg
Last edited by cookie32 on 23 Mar 2015, 2:19pm, edited 1 time in total.

[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

[youtube]WvPsFpd4Dlg[/youtube]
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.