Up for a ride?

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
cookie32

Re: Up for a ride?

Post by cookie32 »

Looks like Dave and I are off for a long one on Sunday, as always it's and open invitation. There isn't much climbing besides the odd foothill here and there otherwise just lot of open road. Hope to see you there. All the details are listed below.

Meeting on Sunday the 10th of July @0845ish
Isleham recreation center, which has plenty of free parking
32 Mill St, Isleham, Ely CB7 5RY

map link here: https://www.bikemap.net/en/route/363797 ... r-complex/
Only dead men have seen the end of wars

Pashley PDQ, Performer 922
cookie32

Post by cookie32 »

First let me start by saying thanks to our guest rider Alan for driving in from Luton to join Dave and I. I'm always pleasantly surprised to see a new face and this was no exception.
I should have known I was in for trouble as I left the house with only my rear brake working at 40%. I left it to get to the meeting point on time, which was soon fixed with the assistance of Alan before we set off. The weather wasn't half bad except for bit of wind which is to be expected on the Fen. I didn't make the full 60 miles thanks to the spokes on my rear wheel popping like they were in a bag in the microwave 20 miles in. My own fault, when I built the wheel up I should have put in new ones instead of being cheap and using spokes over 16 years old. According to Dave it was a lucky escape from the headwind He and Alan faced the 30 miles back around to the start.
Well, this is just the start a nice set of rides before the cold is upon us again. Hope you enjoy the video, and remember it's just of the first 20 miles. Thanks for watching.

[youtube]3nBp86HlXYQ[/youtube]

hercule

Post by hercule »

Commiserations... at least it was only the spokes that broke, they're relatively cheap to replace. I rode around for a few weeks wondering what the tinkling sound from my Kettwiesel was. I then discovered that the hub flange had cracked and three spokes that I thought were attached were in fact just rattling about! A replacement hub (Hase own made) wasn't cheap!

btw, what is the impressive spinny thing on the Windcheetah?
cookie32

Post by cookie32 »

Yeah, I heard a pop maybe 2 or 3 months go, it was one spoke so I tucked it back in and told myself to remember to fix it. I must not of heard myself and Sundays failure was the result. I'm happy to lace another wheel, no pressure there but it's getting a hold of new spokes without having to order then and wait. I spoke to one of the builders at Halfords and he told me they keep spokes in stock to repair, and charge 40p a spoke. So, I'm off to speak to a manage tomorrow to see if he'll let me buy some or ebay here I come

Thats one purdy flag huh? I must be honest i caught myself staring into it being mesmerised more than once. It's not nice when you pass to close though, I got wiped in the face more than once. Would you like me to find out where Alan got it from?

hercule

Post by hercule »

It's fascinating to look at but I don't think I'd be in the market for one myself - too much drag!
davyboy

Post by davyboy »

Hi. It was good to meet a new face thanks for coming all that way Alan. It was the first time that he had ridden over 50 miles,what a way to do it the wind was the worst I have rode in it was unrelenting. Hope to see him again.
cookie32

Post by cookie32 »

Hello All,
I know it's been a minute but I'm still alive and kicking. Looking for a show of hand for a ride on the 15th of Jan. Who's interested and does anyone have any request regarding location? If there are at least 3 or 4 interest the ride will be a hard go barring ice roads of heavy rain.

Got out last weekend but it was a Usual Suspects. Herespecially what you missed.
[youtube]g57zXsgqtqs [/youtube]

WILL

Tortoise

Post by Tortoise »

Gosh Will, you have been putting in the overtime on the video artistry haven't you! Some really impressive effects there!

I can't promise anything for 15th January but if you decide to come south a bit, Udder Room way say, I might be able to struggle out to meet you en route for a stretch.

Seasons Greetings, Peter.
cookie32

Post by cookie32 »

Tortoise wrote:Gosh Will, you have been putting in the overtime on the video artistry haven't you! Some really impressive effects there!

I can't promise anything for 15th January but if you decide to come south a bit, Udder Room way say, I might be able to struggle out to meet you en route for a stretch.

Seasons Greetings, Peter.

Thx for noticing Tortoise, I'm trying to up my game before I spring for some fancy editing software. I think my biggest issue is the length of the clips and total length of the videos I've been making. People seem to have a 2 minute attention span for these videos based off my analytics on Youtube. Expressing the enjoyment of the ride and covering everything in a little over 2 minutes is tricky.

I was just telling the guys we need to make a run to the Udder Room, I'm happy to make the ride around that neck of the woods. How far do you have to ride in to reach the Udder Room? We can do something similar to the last time you came out or we can all even meet at the Udder Room and roll out from there, what do you think? Let me contact the usual suspects and see what they're up to.

Happy Holiday, Will

hoarder
Location: South of Newmarket, SW of Bury St. Edmunds. ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ sƃuıɥʇ ʇɐ ƃuıʞool

Post by hoarder »

That 2 minute attention span gets alot shorter if you're put off by too many video effects, maybe ? I couldn't watch the last few minutes, not without upping the medication.
Anyone else remember the effects on "The Day Today" :lol: https://youtu.be/faAg3YXpmBI

Will, Tortoise, have a look at a route I know well; https://goo.gl/maps/LcsCzH2dzsH2 Is that far enough South ?
cookie32

Post by cookie32 »

hoarder wrote:That 2 minute attention span gets alot shorter if you're put off by too many video effects, maybe ? I couldn't watch the last few minutes, not without upping the medication.
Anyone else remember the effects on "The Day Today" :lol: https://youtu.be/faAg3YXpmBI

Will, Tortoise, have a look at a route I know well; https://goo.gl/maps/LcsCzH2dzsH2 Is that far enough South ?

There's a learning curve, sorry if the medication is letting you down. It may be time for a new prescription. There wasn't a lot to see on the way back and everything was gray thanks to the weather. Oh well there will be more.
That route looks a good one to me as Tortoise made the request for the Udder Room we can start and stop there once I check the availability of parking at the Udder Room or somewhere else in Barrow that will support parking for 5 to 10 cars. Looks like there's another 5 or so on BHPC that will be joining us.
Does this mean your in Hoarder? I'll message Dave a Brian as I haven't seen them floating around the forums recently.
Let me know if your ok with the map Tortoise?
If so I'll start a proper ride promotion on all the sites.

Tortoise

Post by Tortoise »

Hoarder's route looks do-able for me, if I can shake this man-flu dogging me at present and get some riding in to regain a bit of fitness! I'll have to do some timing calculations nearer the time and see if I can rendezvous with the group somewhere on the southernmost tip of the loop and then ride with you to the Udder Room. :D
hoarder
Location: South of Newmarket, SW of Bury St. Edmunds. ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ sƃuıɥʇ ʇɐ ƃuıʞool

Post by hoarder »

Yep, I'm in for the 15th Jan. :D

As for parking, the Udder Room is set back off Church Road, Barrow; the road is pretty long, and wide enough to single park on-street, on the pavement side. I'd suggest parking on street rather than using their car park - which has limited capacity. Address is The Udder Room, Forelock and Load, Church Road, Barrow, Bury St Edmunds, IP29 5AX. https://theudderroom.wordpress.com/
Google Streetview is dated 2009, several years before the haybarn got renovated - so you'll not be able to see the entrance online. But it's there, on the eastern side of Church Road, about 300 yards up from The Street / Colethorpe Lane. Google maps locates Barrow Post Office and Forelock and Load in the same location (parcels, ponies, pistols......alongside fully loaded brownie - all you really need in a village shop).
davyboy

Post by davyboy »

Count me in hope some of the mud on the roads will have gone by then.
cookie32

Post by cookie32 »

Here we go again. Looks to be a fairly decent turn out as well, which I have to say I'm a bit surprised about for a January. Looks like 3 to 5 may be joining from the BHPC forum and another four from CTC as it stands.

Details
Time: Jan 15th 1000 show, which should give those driving in time and those riding in more than 15 miles daylight to work with.
I'm happy to do 0900 but if everyone want to set off after a hot drink the Udder room opens at 1000. What everyones preference?
Location: Starting at the much loved Udder room. The Udder Room, Forelock and Load, Church Road, Barrow, Bury St Edmunds, IP29 5AX
Routing: Map is courtesy of Hoarder, thank you Sir. https://goo.gl/maps/mdx7FCPRBMm

I can't see the weather as of yet but like I said before barring icy roads or heavy rains the ride will proceed but we can make that call closer to the day. As always if there are any questions or concerns please feel free to contact me.

Happy Holidays all,
Will