Up for a ride?

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
cookie32

Re: Up for a ride?

Post by cookie32 »

I just noticed the route is only about 20 miles, Is there anyway you can do a little fancy rerouting Hoarder and bring us up to around 25 to 30 miles? Something like jumping the A14 near Little Saxham then thru Risby and back to Barrow. Those who want to do the extra distance and swan off with me and the others can do the original route with you or Dave. Just so those driving in have something to look forward to. I'd appreciate it greatly.

Will
Only dead men have seen the end of wars

Pashley PDQ, Performer 922
hoarder
Location: South of Newmarket, SW of Bury St. Edmunds. ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ sƃuıɥʇ ʇɐ ƃuıʞool

Post by hoarder »

OK, so I've added a section at the end of the main ride that'll give people a choice - either retreat to the Cafe and get in early with the cake, or add in an extra 10 miles without retracing your steps:

Original ride 17.3 miles - two small climbs https://goo.gl/maps/jo9dVBWUDq12

Additional 10.2 miles just before the rest of us finish - including two good fast descents (well, good fun for Suffolk) https://goo.gl/maps/ogdfbn1QCxB2

So, for those who want to, 26.6 mile combined https://goo.gl/maps/xFMhxDu9tor

Start and finish at the Udder Room. Those of us who finsh earlier can solve the riddle of why 17.3 + 10.2 = 26.6 :lol:

BTW, the main route was planned for a "clockwise" direction (sharper, shorter climbs, longer-lasting descents - I want my newly-grown long hair to be billowing in the wind behind me for as long as possible.......) :lol: :lol: :lol:
cookie32

Post by cookie32 »

Thanks Hoarder for the quick response. I'll post the 26 miler up on the other sites.

Will

cookie32

Post by cookie32 »

Looking rough tomorrow, but I'll be in Barrow shortly before 10. I intended to ride as long as the roads aren't icy.

Will, out.

Tortoise

Post by Tortoise »

Sorry to let you down. I'm still suffering from the lurgy and haven't been on the bike since well before Christmas. When I eventually get well again, I'm going to have some work to do to get fit again!
cookie32

Post by cookie32 »

No pressure, I think tomorrows going to be a wash anyway. I'll most likely be having a hot drink and brownie. There will be another in a few weeks.

Hope you feel better soon.

Will

canoesailor

Post by canoesailor »

cookie32 wrote:Looking rough tomorrow, but I'll be in Barrow shortly before 10. I intended to ride as long as the roads aren't icy.

Will, out.

Which Barrow is that, Barrow on Soar or Barrow in Furness or a Barrow I cant think of at the moment?
cookie32

Post by cookie32 »

canoesailor wrote:
cookie32 wrote:Looking rough tomorrow, but I'll be in Barrow shortly before 10. I intended to ride as long as the roads aren't icy.

Will, out.

Which Barrow is that, Barrow on Soar or Barrow in Furness or a Barrow I cant think of at the moment?

Last post on page 12 had all the pertinent details

cookie32

Post by cookie32 »

Let me start by thanking ChrisH , James, Jon and Brian for showing and then sticking it out for a ride. When I say the conditions weren't friendly I'm being nice. It never got above 39F and the rain never stop. It was so bad, when we stopped to patch a leak we checked the tube in a puddle and it was covered in ice. Good luck finding a bubble there lol.
If your wondering why I'm behind in every scene its because I was struggling. Between being out of shape the weather, and the climb I stayed cramping in one muscle group or another. The guys were very patient as there was a lot of waiting on me especially after every climb.
As always I'm quite a lucky guy to have such a nice bunch of guys to ride along with in even the worst weather. Special thanks to Chris and James for driving down from Norwich. Oh and never make plans with other like minded crazy people they'll make you go through with it, lol.
The video is a short and sweet version, a longer version with will be sorted in a few days. I'll make it public on Youtube but I won't be posting the link on any of the forum. I will add the link to the Youtube comments when it done.

[youtube]qFjbulm1OsU[/youtube]

for all those that didn't make it, smart move

canoesailor

Post by canoesailor »

cookie32 wrote:
canoesailor wrote:

Will, out.

Last post on page 12 had all the pertinent details

I didn't even know there was a Barrow down there, a pity really I was hoping it would be Barrow on Soar near Leicester I've only seen one other recumbent round here and that was a hand cranked special.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

You were hanging back for the camera shots....

Who was on the Rapto?
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
cookie32

Post by cookie32 »

[XAP]Bob wrote:You were hanging back for the camera shots....

Who was on the Rapto?

Yes, yes, hanging back for a good view of the group lol. I wish that were the case. I think anything below 40F may be my limit.

Chris and his son had lowracers a Rapto and Nazca but do them quote me.

hoarder
Location: South of Newmarket, SW of Bury St. Edmunds. ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ sƃuıɥʇ ʇɐ ƃuıʞool

Post by hoarder »

I hope everyone's memories of the cold and the rain have blurred over the last week ? Both the trike and I needed a thorough clean having got back home; I was COLD . A pity the Udder Room was closed - I might find out later as to why, as my daughter is cycling there today with a friend and will report back with what she's found out.
Will - that video above has a really good metrics layout - is that one of the ones you have put together, or is it a pre-selected layout ? I like the way it shows the position during the ride, and the elevation at that particular time, running across the top of the frame. I'm planning to dig out my Virb for the next ride, and finally get it mounted properly on the trike (I have no doubt that the weather for that one will be better).
cookie32

Post by cookie32 »

Hey Hoarder, hope is all well.
The quick answer is yes, the video generator selected a set of metrics which was just speed and compass. Wait I lied, they weren't around long as I changed them for what you saw and added the cadence. I think we've lost some cycling presets, there were more before the updates. Either way you can customise and save any loading you like. In short, it's time to put that camera to use it think.
The weather won't be bad much longer, 45 maybe 50 days which is no time relay. I just need it to get above 50F and I'm off to the races. Roll on Spring!

hoarder

Post by hoarder »

Anyone fancy a ride on Sunday 12th Feb ? No route planned yet, but easy to do if we want familiar roads. Starting at a) Angels Cafe, Mildenhall, or b) Udder Room, Barrow.
I know a few of us may still not have reached peak fitness after Christmas :wink: , so what would be your max. miles for a route on the 12th ? (Mildenhall routes normally flatter than Barrow routes, btw.)