GT Streetmachine rebuild as a 26/26

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
dakari-mane

GT Streetmachine rebuild as a 26/26

Post by dakari-mane »

Hello Everybody,

So towards the end of last year my GT Streetmachine suffered a rear dérailleur into the wheel accident. What with that & the front shock being less shock & more bump I made the decision that it could really do with a total strip down, re-paint & build up.

However I did have one thought. Could it be re-built as a 26/26. It'd cut down on the number of tubes & spare tyres I'd have to carry. I'm quite tall so height ought not to be an issue. With a slightly longer rear shock the suspension ought to level out the tilt.

Is this a really bad idea? Have you encountered anyone that has done this before?

Cheers
Dan
MuirSR

Re: GT Streetmachine rebuild as a 26/26

Post by MuirSR »

There's a Speedmachine rather than a StreetMachine which has been given this treatment on the Pictures of your recumbent thread.
dakari-mane

Post by dakari-mane »

Cheers! Sent a PM. Though he only seems to have posted twice, here's hoping!

Good to see it can be done 26/20 => 26/26. Wonder what the mechanical implications are.
Trikeyohreilly

Post by Trikeyohreilly »

The SM Gt is already such a great bike I'm not sure there is much room for improvement.

My worry would be the extra leverage a longer fork would place on the "head tube" though they are solidly built.

I would, for one be interested in how you get on should you go ahead.
Rob Archer

Post by Rob Archer »

I've got a similar conundrum. My SMGT still has the original Ballistic fork which is now well past it's best despite a full rebuild. I quite like the idea of replacing it with a rigid fork. I always ran the suspension fork quite hard so I gave minimal 'bounce'. Would I notice much difference?
dakari-mane

Post by dakari-mane »

Rob Archer wrote:I've got a similar conundrum. My SMGT still has the original Ballistic fork which is now well past it's best despite a full rebuild. I quite like the idea of replacing it with a rigid fork. I always ran the suspension fork quite hard so I gave minimal 'bounce'. Would I notice much difference?

Yeah Rob I'm currently umming & ahhing between Suspension & rigid fork. The Axle to Crown length can be shorter on a rigid one, meaning I have to lengthen the rear shock less.

Also a 2" high-pressure tyre gives a fair old amount of suspension on it's own.

& they weigh less.

& if you do break a steel fork it can be fixed probably anywhere in the world, unlike most flashy suspension forks.

& on most roads you'll probably lock out the front suspension, then forget about it afterwards.

Ho hum. Decisions, decisions.....
dakari-mane

Post by dakari-mane »

Looks like the chap with the 26/26 speed machine is shifting it:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Recumbent-HP-Speedmachine-26-front-wheel-upgrade-excellent-condition-/231552110481?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item35e994cf91

If only I had £1,200 kicking about spare!

Still my Street-machine has now been completely dismantled. It's in a box & the frame, new solid forks, rear & under seat pannier racks, USS bars & stem are waiting to get stripped/powder coated. Onwards with progress!
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Steering angles will change. When EF did his Raptobike it became quite twitchy - controllable, but definitely not a hands off ride...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.