Why do you Ride a Bent

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.

Why do ride Recumbent

I used to ride an upright – But prefer recumbents
39%
An Injury or discomfort makes a traditional bike impractical
29%
Ive never seriously tried uprights – I got straight into recumbent cycling
No votes
I regularly ride recumbents and uprights – dependent on mood , journey type etc
32%
Other
No votes

Total votes: 31

jayjay

Re: Why do you Ride a Bent

Post by jayjay »

Bicycle. Saddle.
Built f' comfort.
Si

Post by Si »

kingrollo wrote:Whereabouts in birmingham are you Si ?

I quite like rding my bent - but I live a couple of miles outside birmingham - where its heavy traffic and big hills - This confines me to the local roads around my estate - for 45 minute blasts or so.

I do wonder at the people who need to laugh (its usually a fake laugh - because actually it isn't that funny) - I only had one 'cool bike' comment - most of the time I just just get weird stares !

Big hills - sounds like you are the opposite side to me! I'm in North Brum (riding around Erdington and Kingstanding to get out into the countryside).
mark aldridge

Post by mark aldridge »

Birmingham! Birmingham! You have it easy. Just try riding through the tougher areas of Guidford and having to deal with the '' I don't know what it is - I'd better run over it with my shiny 4x4'' mentality.

Keep the faith brothers, just remember, COME THE REVOLUTION................
forlorn hope

Post by forlorn hope »

8 years diagnosed Myotonic Dystrophy,wasted neck muscles mean it a recumbent or nothing.
Trice S 700cc
Optima baron
Tigerbiten

Post by Tigerbiten »

I tried riding an upwrong after my accident with a Tiger.
But couldn't work out a safe/easy way to work both the brakes with only one hand.
Plus my artificial arm doesn't give me enough stability to get out of the saddle to honk up hills etc.

I could probably get on with a Newton as opposed to an upright trike.
But the lower you are the faster you can go around corner before you tip up.
Hence ending up with a tadpole recumbent.

I would love to ride a two wheel bent but I still cannot workout how to do the brakes.
Plus if I tipped to the left, there no way I could put a hand out to save myself ........ :lol:
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Just have to have a stabiliser that side, but then you may as well have three wheels I suppose...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Geoff.D

Post by Geoff.D »

Does anyone else think there's a touch of extroversion required to be a recumbent rider?

If we weren't out riding, we might well be doing karaoke, streaking or entering the local gurning competitions. :wink:
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

No. Introvert here - but happy to say hello to people.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
kingrollo

Post by kingrollo »

Geoff.D wrote:Does anyone else think there's a touch of extroversion required to be a recumbent rider?

If we weren't out riding, we might well be doing karaoke, streaking or entering the local gurning competitions. :wink:

Just excercise and keeping fit for me - I look on it as an alternative to doing a very boring session on a excercise bike - as I have said before - In my opinion bents aren't without comprises - but screaming downhill on one is serious fun - and thats on my giro 20 - so heaven knows what a Nazca Gaugho (for example !) must be like....
forlorn hope

Post by forlorn hope »

Total introvert here,hate the attention I get on a trike,to be honest if I wasn't a cripple I would still be riding a mountain bike.
Trice S 700cc
Optima baron
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

The missus is an introvert, but for the touring we do 'bents just do it better.
I, on the other hand, have no shame. About time I got the unicycle out again, in fact...
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...