New 'bent

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
[XAP]Bob

New 'bent

Post by [XAP]Bob »

:mrgreen:

Well, new to me... CW's old Raptobike has a new home...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
[XAP]Bob

Re: New 'bent

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Woohoo, a few rolls down the hill, and no falling off.
Even got my feet on the pedals...

Giving me a respect for the kids learning :)

Tried to put some copter tape on the top of the right side of the fork (where the V brake noodle rubs). Couldn't get it to stick at all, so as I put the bike back into the garage I noticed the end of a roll of cheap-as-chips bar tape - in black...
Wrapped that around the fork a few times, and it looks like it will do the job for a while at any rate. I'd like to get a new front wheel with a disc attachment, since the fork does (unexpectedly) have disc mountings...

Such a shame I sold my 20" wheel with disc mountings 90 minutes before I collected the rapto. It would have been an easy cassette swap...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

That was good - Average speed 11 mph, max 22.4, out for 20 minutes without falling off...

Did a few practise stops (and starts), a few "roll through" junctions and some (gentle) hill climbing. I need to relax more, still some tension, particularly when pedalling...

I think I might be able to ride this thing - got to the point where I could indicate, at least when stopped...

Not going to be doing no-hands for a while though...
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Phew - another couple of days without falling, although I did wash out the front wheel and need to put a foot down, and a couple of other "feet down" moments....

Just shy of 20mph on the flat so far (although I only have about 0.1 miles to build up speed)
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

First "real" ride out - I think I got some speed up - enough to rip past some roadies anyway :)
Can (mostly) indicate, and look at the mirror as well (not as often as I'd like at the moment).
Could consider cleats soon...

13 PBs on strava...
aideym

Post by aideym »

Excellent progress there Bob and pleasing to see someone else out there learning the craft. I have managed about 35 miles on mine and only the slow speed stuff is catching me out. Currently off the road at the moment awaiting tyres that don't puncture running over tissue paper. 5 flats and a torn carcass so far, no such tyre as a 24 x 1.50 has been interesting and had to go away for a cycling weekend on my Genesis which was a real shame and extremely annoying.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

It is definitely a learning experience.

Depending on the forecast for tomorrow I might even commute...

Forecast was good - commute was nice. I need cleats though - too many speed-bumps, one set had both legs waving in the air...
aideym

Post by aideym »

You've beaten me to the commute. Not sure if I am ready to battle the rush hour in Birmingham. I may ride in as I go before the traffic starts and catch the train out of the city centre. I wonder what it is like using a bent on a train
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Hint - don't try to avoid stopping. I've pulled a muscle down by the bottom of my ribcage on the right hand side from a near fall after trying not to stop at a junction (I *just* didn't make it).

My choice will now be to stop and put the feet down. I need to practice with cleats again!
c0d3x42

Post by c0d3x42 »

aideym wrote:You've beaten me to the commute. Not sure if I am ready to battle the rush hour in Birmingham. I may ride in as I go before the traffic starts and catch the train out of the city centre. I wonder what it is like using a bent on a train

Hi there, I was a bit concerned when I picked up my first bent that I wouldn't be allowed on the train with it. Which would have left me with an 80 mile ride home and never having ridden a bent before that. In the end, bents on trains are easy enough and apart from those odd looks you get, it didn't raise any jobsworthy comments.

Dunno about Brum though, but down London way bikes on trains during rush hour are strictly verboten, except for folders obviously.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Cleats not a problem, except that I think my right foot turns in slightly when on the trike - occasionally hard to engage it...

Weather was *so* good that I took the long route home today - broke 40mph and nearly took a couple Strava KOMs (without realising that they were segments... oops) many consecutive PBs on that route - including ones I expected the trike to have had the edge on...
firedfromthecircus

Post by firedfromthecircus »

Glad you are enjoying your new 'bent Bob.
So will it replace the trike or will there always be a trike space in your shed?

btw- every time I read

I chuckle involuntarily! :lol:
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

The trike stays - the rapto is currently a fair weather vehicle..

I can't imagine the rapto competing for fun in the snow for instance...

Glad to hear someone (else) thinks it's funny :)
kingrollo

Post by kingrollo »

aideym wrote:You've beaten me to the commute. Not sure if I am ready to battle the rush hour in Birmingham. I may ride in as I go before the traffic starts and catch the train out of the city centre. I wonder what it is like using a bent on a train

Ive been at this stage for a year .....fine riding the thing .....but you don't see (m)any in the Birmingham Traffic......!!!
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Well, yesterday I managed a graceful topple - I think I unweighted the rear wheel when I put my hand down - must have had too much steering angle on. I have noticed this tendency when trying to work out a kickstand or similar. No harm done.

Then today I topped 45mph.

I might have done better, but on the long hill I had traffic, and then a bus pulled in front of me.

I judged my flat cruise well though - 6 minutes at 25mph (variance was tiny), a dip for traffic, but the rest was really consistent. Not good enough for Mr BMW taxi driver though. Ho hum, really ought to report him for overtaking over double white lines...