Steering when starting

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
lukehall

Steering when starting

Post by lukehall »

I'm finding that when I start off I steer away from whichever foot is on the pedal, do any of you find this too? Any tips for trying to minimise this?
[XAP]Bob

Re: Steering when starting

Post by [XAP]Bob »

On which vehicle?
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

I presume the new beauty...

I'm not sure which way I steer as I set off, but I think I'm getting better at compensating. I find it gets interesting when in a smaller sprocket at the rear, because that gives the most steering effect from pedalling.

I do find I steer away from the indicating arm though...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
lukehall

Post by lukehall »

Yep, that one.

Are you finding that you do that on the raptobike or others too? Looking at it I would expect the rapto to always pull a bit to the left on starting due to a slight steering input from the chain.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Only have the rapto as a fwd - so can't compare, but on a lower 'rear' sprocket the steering input is negligible. Even did some hands free gliding around the car park this morning (not hands to side, but off the bars)
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Concentrated on two starts today, one went each way
lukehall

Post by lukehall »

This is the sort of stage I'm at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXBspvkOPA8

If I attempt it on the road I preform a lot worse and vissibly shake due to nerves.
cookie32

Post by cookie32 »

looking at the video I'd say downshift to a lower gear, and a bit of time. A lot of the unsteadiness has to do with comfort and a bit of core strength in my opinion.
Only dead men have seen the end of wars

Pashley PDQ, Performer 922
hercule

Post by hercule »

One of the advantages of the SRAM Dual Drive and 3x7 is that you can easily get into a low gear if you have an unscheduled stop that leaves you in high gear. I had one on my PDQ and it proved its worth. I have seriously thought of fitting one to my Fuego (and giving myself 81 gears!).
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

cookie32 wrote:looking at the video I'd say downshift to a lower gear
+1
"42"
lukehall

Post by lukehall »

Cheers, I'll give that a go
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

The look is that you're having to push so hard you are pulling on the steering, so the lower gear should allow you to be more relaxed in the rest of your body - I think...
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

Pulling on the bars is a hard habit to get out of. Try a very gentle push with just a fingertip grip as a way of stopping you switching to auto-pilot and heaving.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
teamonster

Post by teamonster »

I had the same problem when I first rode my ICE B2 last year, when the bike seemed to deliberately take the opposite to intended direction when moving off. Having just got a Bachetta Giro am suffering with it again, but nowhere near the same extent. I'd echo much of what has been said, not too high agear, light touch on the handlebars,but most importantly relax, I found I was worst when I had cars behind or onlookers. It will get better, after a few months I found it totally effortless, just don't over think it !
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

hercule wrote:One of the advantages of the SRAM Dual Drive and 3x7 is that you can easily get into a low gear if you have an unscheduled stop that leaves you in high gear. I had one on my PDQ and it proved its worth. I have seriously thought of fitting one to my Fuego (and giving myself 81 gears!).

Same reason that most of mine have Rohloff