Temporary Deaf / Mute DF riders ?

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
hoarder
Location: South of Newmarket, SW of Bury St. Edmunds. ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ sƃuıɥʇ ʇɐ ƃuıʞool

Postby hoarder » 19 Apr 2015, 12:22pm

Whilst out earlier today I was overtaken on a hill by a pair of lycra-clad DF riders who both failed to acknowledge or respond in kind to my standard pre-9.00 am greeting of "Good Morning". They weren't passing at such a speed to have missed what I said, and I noted that they took several backward glances whilst talking to each other once they had passed.

I have noticed it happening more and more frequently (maybe because the weather is improving and so more sunshine-only cyclists are out ?), but it leaves me wondering if there is an unwritten rule I've missed, that upright MAMILs are forbidden from conversing with other cyclists ? I've not noticed the same rudeness from less image-conscious riders.

Anyone got a better explanation of why this happens ?

Cunobelin

Re: Temporary Deaf / Mute DF riders ?

Postby Cunobelin » 19 Apr 2015, 12:31pm

Yep....

I will pass over 300 riders per week, and haven't time to talk to them all

hoarder
Location: South of Newmarket, SW of Bury St. Edmunds. ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ sƃuıɥʇ ʇɐ ƃuıʞool

Postby hoarder » 19 Apr 2015, 12:45pm

..... who said anything about a conversation. Politeness costs nothing.

cookie32

Postby cookie32 » 19 Apr 2015, 4:21pm

hoarder wrote:..... who said anything about a conversation. Politeness costs nothing.

I have to agree with you, it doesn't cost anything to be polite. I reckon it's like most things though. Most people are and the ones that aren't are the ones we notice.

I wish I could have joined you today. I'm good for next week though, just let me know during the week.
Only dead men have seen the end of wars

Pashley PDQ, Performer 922

TonyR

Postby TonyR » 19 Apr 2015, 4:37pm

I generally offer a greeting but am curious as to why given we don't usually greet every pedestrian we meet while walking or wave to every driver we see while driving. I can remember a time though when AA & RAC staff would salute members on the road and you would acknowledge drivers of the same type of cars. Days long gone though..

yakdiver

Postby yakdiver » 19 Apr 2015, 5:19pm

Most cyclists give me a nod/wave ect, but today a group of cyclists possibly 15 + coming the other way on a small country lane said/did sod all, they were chatting between themselves, I just thought testicles :lol:
Alias Numbnuts

Mark1978

Postby Mark1978 » 19 Apr 2015, 5:21pm

Oh great the waving thread again. In short; get over it. Some people want to wave some don't. You don't have any right to feel entitled to a response.

Most of the time I wave or say hello. If I don't get a response I don't care. I certainly don't post on forums about it. Sometimes if I'm putting in a big effort or concentrating I'm concentrating on where I'm going not acknowledging anyone.

[XAP]Bob

Postby [XAP]Bob » 19 Apr 2015, 5:26pm

I normally give a small wave or nod, the last few days I haven't recently. Then again I'm concentrating on staying upright...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.

hoarder

Postby hoarder » 19 Apr 2015, 5:39pm

Mark1978 wrote:Oh great the waving thread again. In short; get over it. Some people want to wave some don't. You don't have any right to feel entitled to a response.

Most of the time I wave or say hello. If I don't get a response I don't care. I certainly don't post on forums about it. Sometimes if I'm putting in a big effort or concentrating I'm concentrating on where I'm going not acknowledging anyone.

(I'll ignore the comment above - I'm concentrating, and find it difficult to think about anything else. :lol: :lol: :lol: )

cookie32

Postby cookie32 » 19 Apr 2015, 6:11pm

Mark1978 wrote:Oh great the waving thread again. In short; get over it. Some people want to wave some don't. You don't have any right to feel entitled to a response.

Many words come to mind, but your attitude is a perfect example of what I think we're talking about.
Some people...

Mark1978

Postby Mark1978 » 19 Apr 2015, 6:30pm

You're entitled to your opinion but the attitude of entitlement from others is my issue with all this.

cookie32

Postby cookie32 » 19 Apr 2015, 7:22pm

I guess you have to agree to disagree sometimes. I don't think any of us expect we'll always get a response from other riders, regardless of what they're riding. I think Hoarder was highlighting something which some of us can find a bit rude and or annoying. Specifically not acknowledging another person, especially someone with similar interest albeit with more style. Some people are just awkward or don't care for others but I'd hate to think because someone doesn't care for my choice in conveyance they would disregard me all together. I know it may sound a bit delicate but that's my opinion an I will always expect the best out of people, why shouldn't I?

Cunobelin

Postby Cunobelin » 19 Apr 2015, 9:20pm

Personally I think that demanding everyone that you pass has a duty to greet you is a little arrogant

Mike Sales

Postby Mike Sales » 19 Apr 2015, 10:01pm

Cunobelin wrote:Personally I think that demanding everyone that you pass has a duty to greet you is a little arrogant

But if you greet them first?

cookie32

Postby cookie32 » 19 Apr 2015, 10:06pm

Who has demanded a response? Did I miss a post?